Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 468873 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2008, 01:34:21 pm »

Yeah, I've already vowed to yank UD off the list as soon as Toady says "first pass at UD done" with a release. You might want to be patient however, as I'm only swinging through here maybe once a week.

And I'll be doing the same thing with the suggestions over which I have control.
(They'll then be put back up with a description of "you're wasting your votes here, please don't do that.")

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2008, 02:48:35 pm »

You seem to be implying that you think 'even more underground diversity' or 'impliment it more fully in the way I want it' is a waste of a vote.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2008, 04:37:58 pm »

Sure, there might still be plenty of good ideas left. But it's more motivating and stimulating to see new problems and desires coming up instead of being stuck with the same requests. It's easier if there would be several suggestions (eg. underground civs/embarking, underground ruins, underground creatures) to see which ones are more demanded than the others... especially since something like underground diversity will never be finished. Things like improved hauling will not bother anyone anymore at a certain point, and then it's good enough. It's also less clear what will solve the problems (stacking? wheelbarrows? teleportation?) as opposed which specific UD suggestion does one want implemented.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2008, 09:58:45 pm »

my personal feeling about the big box suggestions is that given past history with DF, once something gets touched, it's a relatively robust improvement that comes out of it.

For things like UD, I imagine this means that anything that gets done will mean that a full suite of things get done.  (not going to spend time adding 1 new UD thing when it'd be more efficient to add a dozen, i.e. 4 times as long for 12 times the content).  Basically it's perfectly valid to say 'hey, touch this'

The other half of them are things like improved hauling where a minority of people want one or the other implimentation specifically, but most people are just pointing to a hole in current gameplay and are open to numerous suggestions.  (I guarantee you there'll be a less than a quarter of the mining carts suggestions when dorfs carry more than a few things at once).  Again it's valid to say address the issue to which these are the solutions.

my .02 at any rate (in this case .02/post)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2008, 10:29:31 pm »

I feel like this has to have been said already and I'm sure it's being worked on with the army arc but can we have military dwarves be forced to be on duty when needed at least as long as they've had enough downtime? During a siege today both my squad leaders decided, just as the battle was gonna start, to go drink and sleep.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2008, 01:48:22 pm »

You seem to be implying that you think 'even more underground diversity' or 'impliment it more fully in the way I want it' is a waste of a vote.

No, I'm not saying that.  What I want people to do is spread their votes around.  "We saw some of this, lets see something else."

After another release or two I'd mod the description back again.  The reason I'm recreating the thingy-to vote for is so that:
a) it's still in the list
b) still under my control, so that:
c) someone else doesn't create it instead in the hopes that it'll get all those votes back again immediately

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2008, 02:23:27 pm »

Sounds like you're trying to control something that isn't yours to control...

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2008, 08:35:44 pm »

He who controls the spice controls the universe.

Seriously, I was actually somewhat offended to have to coordinate a trade off of one of my suggestions that was added to the list by someone else. The originator of the idea should be the one with control. In the case where there is no clear originator, then anyone that cares enough should suggest it. However, just squatting is counter productive.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2008, 11:32:36 pm »

I will happily give control to any originator of a suggestion I hold control over.  I just happened to get to the list first and put up everything I could find (basically, active threads at the time) in order to quickly populate the list.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2008, 02:50:10 pm »

Could the code for voting be altered so that suggestions listed can receive child suggestions, votable only by those who voted for the parent (gaining an extra vote to do so)?  That way, with the more overarching suggestions we can see what specific aspects are most desired.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2008, 05:19:16 pm »

Toady owns the code, so he can do whatever he wishes with it. I don't have time to implement drastic changes like this one at the moment, though.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Huey

• Bay Watcher
  • If a tree kills in tha forest does it make a sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2009, 03:33:47 am »

One vote of three cast, and it was for corpses as containers. Is a good suggestion, and would streamline a lot of hauling issues as well. It sort of fits in with carts/containers for hauling and keeping the bits inside the coffin for relocation purposes, but rather than vote 3 times for essentially the same sort of an issue...

Anyway, we shall see what the next release will bring about. And in the meantime, if I think of something cool, I will add it to the list.
There's a question mark in the place of a spark
that used to be an answer
aiming straight for the heart but you missed the mark and
the arrow turned to cancer

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2009, 03:48:17 am »

One vote of three cast, and it was for corpses as containers. Is a good suggestion, and would streamline a lot of hauling issues as well. It sort of fits in with carts/containers for hauling and keeping the bits inside the coffin for relocation purposes, but rather than vote 3 times for essentially the same sort of an issue...

Anyway, we shall see what the next release will bring about. And in the meantime, if I think of something cool, I will add it to the list.

Maybe I should make a new suggestion -- I made that one originally, but then I came up with a better version for this thread.

skysmitty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2009, 11:42:01 pm »

I'm wondering if it might (eventually) be more fruitful to reconfigure the voting into something like a "Single Transferable Vote" system - in essence where people rank their votes. A voter's first priority would be worth 1 point, his second 1/2, his third 1/3, etc. You could even set it up so people get "unlimited" votes, just that every additional vote is worth 1/X. This would probably yield a more accurate result as to what people want as immediate priorities and as long term visions.

I also like the parent-child idea to break up large conceptual suggestions into smaller, more meaningful priorities.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2009, 03:04:14 am »

the more complex it becomes, the harder it is for everybody to use

perhaps it should allow people to order a large list of these priorities, each with his or her own unique list from 1-10.
which is then used to derive what people want.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 58