Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [40d] WTF?!? magma woes.  (Read 2443 times)

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] WTF?!? magma woes.
« on: September 13, 2008, 12:27:19 pm »

ok, i gen'd and found a PERFECT spot that lists magma, sand, HFS, an undergound river that turns waterfall into a chasm pit, and a heavy forest in the lower corner.

i get the starting area made by the forest, find the river fine, stumble over a piece of admantine within the first year...     and then when i find the magma....    its not magma at all....   its a single layer of obsidian, nothing more, even though i got the message 'you have found a magma pit'

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] WTF?!? magma woes.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 12:29:12 pm »

Dig down further.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:29:20 pm »

Did you check underneath the obsidian? It commonly makes a cocoon around the magma itself.

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:47:45 pm »

of course i tried that.    hence saying one single layer.    i was able to channel into the obsidian on the top, and found basalt underneath.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 01:59:33 pm »

Well technically the game didn't lie to you... and hey, you can't always get what you want. The obsidian is still useful, right?

I'm wondering if this is even a bug. Toady probably coded a range of sizes for magma pits, and apparently, "1 layer" is a possible size...
火族

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 04:15:32 pm »

there can be other stone between the magma pipe and the obsidian beneath it

try digging down about 4-5 layers.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 09:39:06 pm »

Well technically the game didn't lie to you... and hey, you can't always get what you want. The obsidian is still useful, right?

I'm wondering if this is even a bug. Toady probably coded a range of sizes for magma pits, and apparently, "1 layer" is a possible size...

I don't buy the 'fuck the player' mentality in what is clearly a sandbox game. If it advertises magma at embark, it should have magma--period. You spend a lot of time planning out a fortress after spending a lot of time preparing to embark (world gen, searching for a site, arming your expedition, etc) so to find a 1x20 layer of obsidian instead of magma is...a cock tease.

Screenshots plx!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 02:24:37 am »

I just had the exact same thing happen on an otherwise ideal spot : 2 chasms, small cave river, 2 aquifers at the edges, sand, flux, wood, brook, lots of visible ores of many types, three pages of baddies at embark, HFS, and a single layer of round obsidian where the magma pool should have been.

Before coming here to gripe, I dled tweak and took a look with reveal: exactly one z level of obsidian.

I don't buy the "might be a feature" argument. But we'll see when Toady responds.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 04:20:52 am »

The magma cools into obsidian. The magma just cooled off into obsidian. That happens and is a valid feature.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 04:50:49 am »

I realize it has become fashionable on the boards to look about for anyone that you can "hey noob", but I am not exactly new to this game. I've made probably 40 fortresses just in the 3D era, and probably that many in 2D. I am fully aware that magma cools into obsidian, and that cooling can occur prior to embark (ie the obsidian caps on glacial magma pipes).

This is the first time I have ever encountered this particular phenomenon. Much like the other posters I think this may be a bug, and thus should be brought to Toady's attention.

If he says "Yeah, it's intended" then its a feature. I'll then post a thread in suggestions to amend either magma pool depth or site finder reporting.

So until we actually hear from him, let's keep the thread clean of non-constructive conjecture...m'kay?

edit: I regenerated the same world to tinker a bit. While poking around in the same spot, I noticed that there was not even a z-level of obsidian, there was just a layer of "obsidian cavern floor": the underlying rock was alunite. If obsidian had cooled, there would be mineable obsidian.

It is as if the game generated the very bottom of a magma pool (its lowest open level + floor) but did not fill it, make an obsidian shell, or extend it any higher. To use Keizo's terminology, it was a 0-level magma pool.

The nearby magma pipe is normal, as are the nearest 4 other magma pools.

The only oddity may be that it appears on one level that pool might straddle a biome boundary.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:16:01 am by Othob Rithol »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:13:04 am »

So you're saying...

"If you correct my mistake you must be a troll who's posting a non constructive reply in my thread."

Way to go.

We told you the answer. It's a feature. A realistic one at that.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 10:39:24 am »

Yanlin, you're being needlessly antagonistic. Even if you think you're right, there's no cause to be a jerk about it.

And in fact, you're not right. Toady himself confirmed that this is a bug. So get off your high horse.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 11:40:54 am »

pics?   you want pics?    done.

after i found out about this bug, i looked into getting tweak running with 40d, and it revealed that yes, the entire 'magma' pit was one level of obsidian.    nothing more.

heres a link to a zip with two images of the magma pit, the seed used, and the exact embark location.   ive tried re-gen'ing the world on a clean copy of DF40d and it still comes up, so anyone can reproduce this bug, and toady can find out whats causing it.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=548

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 12:03:54 pm »

This is a bug.  Last I checked, a magma pool was supposed to be 1+ layers of magma encased on all sides (top, bottom, and around) in obsidian.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 05:42:56 pm »

So you're saying...

"If you correct my mistake you must be a troll who's posting a non constructive reply in my thread."

Way to go.

We told you the answer. It's a feature. A realistic one at that.

No, I am saying "If you go around posting in a Player->Toady communication talking about things you obviously don't know about, then you are a troll."

If this was the Gameplay Questions forum, I'd have no issue. but I came here to speak to the Man, not a child.

Glad to hear it is a bug, I guess I missed that thread in my search.
Pages: [1] 2