Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The incredible canal-wagon.  (Read 1125 times)

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
The incredible canal-wagon.
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:32:33 am »

I'm not sure if this could be considered a bug, but on maps where there is a stream, traders seem to consider it a viable route to the depot. The result is that you see a wagon laden with anvils, dwarven junk and animals in cages coming up a 7/7 river two z-levels deep. Unless 'wagon' means 'boat' as well and I'm missing something, shouldn't it sink like a lead balloon?
The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.
-- Karl Popper, The Open Society

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
Re: The incredible canal-wagon.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:50:17 am »

Are the wagons just travelling over a brook? Or are they actually underwater - because, though I'm not sure about the wagons and animals, you would expect the traders to drown...

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:30:22 pm »

If it's just a brook, then technically what you have is a single z-level-deep body of 7/7 water with a transparent floor built over it.  The wagons can travel across the transparent floor, and often do because it has nothing blocking the path (boulders, trees, and such).  The reason the transparent floor is there is to approximate the fact that people can wade through brooks rather easily.  Channeling the brook tile is in a sense like removing all the rocks and stuff at the bottom of a real life brook and making it deeper and clear of obstructions that would otherwise slow the water down and allow people to walk on them.

It's not highly realistic, but it gets the job done for now (though it does have a tendency to confuse a lot of people).

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:40:33 pm »

I haven't seen a 2-z deep river before, either. Are you sure you aren't seeing the top layer of the river above the water (dark blue 7's) and the bright blue layer which is actual water?
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:03:21 am »

I hope today implements real water features.

As in rivers that are deeper than 2 meters.*

*Assuming a tile is 2 meters in size. Which makes perfect sense since humans can fit through a dwarven tile.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 07:18:41 am »

so do colossi and dragons, scale is not a constant in the DF world. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 12:07:32 pm »

so do colossi and dragons, scale is not a constant in the DF world. ;)

*Cough*

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:37:45 pm »

Is anybody with me in thinking of The Oregon Trail when they read about wagons fording a stream?  :)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:22:17 pm »

Heh nice wiki draco. :D
been browsing it for more than an hour now.

pity they don't mention Police Squad for A-team firing
or the 80's battlestar's 'starchild' for the Wesley.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 09:06:47 pm »

Later on I think it would be a good idea to have wagons able to caulk their holes and float over to the other side, though it would be treacherous.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

"#  Dwarf Fortress' tiles are “the size of a dragon”, a joke on the fact any given tile can contain a single standing creature of any size (whether a mouse or a dragon) and any number of 'crawling' creatures (so you can squeeze through cramped corridors by crawling).

* This is still a tiny improvement over the game's model, Roguelikes. This can be used to your advantage by clogging the map with trash enemies while plinking something dangerous from long range."
WE NEED A SLOGAN!