Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Position Randomization: Discussion  (Read 934 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Position Randomization: Discussion
« on: September 13, 2008, 12:12:34 am »

I'm still sorting through how to set up the new entity raws. I didn't want to hardcode any of the new military positions, so all of the entity positions will be coming out into the raw txt files. Your monarch, the hammerer, the outpost liaison, as well as all the site appointments and the guard positions, and the rest will all be there, in addition to some military structure (which will have to depend on site size among other things). I haven't yet decided how much randomization will be there at this time or how that will work (it's one of the near term goals posted so it has to be respected now to save myself some time later). In any case, it's sort of off-and-on work, since there are a lot of stumbling blocks that need to be stewed over.

So, Toady's currently working on moving a lot of the positions and whatnot over to the raws. Now sounds like a good time to start discussing the idea. Maybe we can give him some inspiration.

Things to talk about:
    Randomization: Randomness as far as what positions show up? Random names for positions? Random responsibilities? Toady says in the Future of the Fortress Thread that he's interesting in doing all of that. What kind of randomizations would we like to see? What way could this work? What issues do we need to think about?

New position raws: I know new noble ideas come up a lot, but if this kind of thing is going into the raws, we may be able to easily add in new ones. What kind of tags would let us do this? What tags would you like to see?

Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to really think much about this, but I'll try to post some ideas of my own tomorrow.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Position Randomization: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 03:11:51 pm »

[Minor bump]

Ok, so I've put in a little bit of thought on this. I've come up with an idea for noble positions/names.

The basic idea is that you have lists of nobility that can be selected from. You start with your basic list of King/Duke/Count/Baron/etc. Then you can use some of the other varients out there. (Islamic, Eastern, etc)

Then, you can add in positions/nobility based on structure. For example, I can see a Dwarven civ based around guilds, where different fortresses can become the Guild Seat for a particular guild, with the Civ ruled by a council of Guildmasters. A military civ could have settlements all ruled by Generals, Captains, etc, with the head being a Warleader or something like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One