Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Probably suggested before: equipment tokens on raw creatures  (Read 535 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Probably suggested before: equipment tokens on raw creatures
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:37:24 pm »

It's kind of silly how only civilizations can use items or wear clothes of any kind. I propose changing this to the creatures rather than the entities. This way you could make things like crude weapons for monsters, or wandering adventurers, or whatever without needing to make an entity group for it.

The item would be spawned when the creature is spawned, and would be worn if the creature has an undamaged body slot that can wear it. Perhaps the token could also have an extra bit at the end to get average quality, and another token for what types of materials? Something like:

[<item>:<item token>:% chance of it spawning:average value:material]

So that might be:

[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:50:AVERAGE:AVERAGE_METAL]
medium-quality helm, mainly iron, 50% chance of spawning with it

or

[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH:100:LOW:CHEAP_LEATHER]
low-quality loincloth, made of crap-value leather ie. dog, 100% chance of spawning

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Probably suggested before: equipment tokens on raw creatures
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:44:26 pm »

This would be cool but I would prefer to not switch it over entirely, but have it be that the entities would still contain it plus you could add it to the creature files if you wanted. This would allow you to give items to creatures, but would stop creatures like dwarves from having their creature text size tripled from all of the different armors.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:29:28 am »

Maybe micro-entities for appropriate (semi)megabeasts instead which provide them with gear appropriate to them. Loincloths for all, and big axes for the minotaurs to even the field a bit for them. Full bronze plate and huge bronze swords for bronze colossi too for flavor.

You could even use it to organize and equip animalmen and let them take part in worldgen legends.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 10:52:48 am »

I am not sure that this has been suggested or not, but I definitely like it!  8)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:52:31 am »

I think the 'right' answer would be to allow the tags in either the civ entry or the race entry.