Poll

Into what age bracket do you fall?

17 and under
18-23
24-35
36-49
50+

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Player Demographics?  (Read 6912 times)

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Player Demographics?
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2008, 12:35:11 pm »

I am 22 and the oldest of my friends. I heard about dwarf fortress on the ADOM forums and some of my friends play roguelikes and are used to ASCII so I figured they would like dwarf fortress but it seems I managed to only convince one.
Off topic the dwarves when playing windowed mode aren't smiley faces they have small beards not large mouths, at least in my veiw point.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2008, 01:29:06 pm »

Just turned 17. I don't know a single person in RL who's interested in DF... most of them start screaming "ARGH! NOOOOOO!" When i start talking about it... :-\

My friends don't start doing that until I SHOW them DF.

I did show it to a couple, responses varied from "wow, that looks geeky" to total confusion...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

I leave 2D DF running on my computer to scare away would-be thieves, animals, and women.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2008, 03:12:45 pm »

I leave 2D DF running on my computer to scare away would-be thieves, animals, and women.

Speaking of GIRLS ON THE FREAKING INTERNET, are there any chicks that play this game?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2008, 05:01:17 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:02:00 pm by MC Dirty »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2008, 05:03:28 pm »

I have no idea, but I don't think so. ^^

Why do you think so? Even my girlfriend used to play with DF in the past. [She just doesnt have enough time for computer games nowadays...]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:05:13 pm by Tormy »

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2008, 05:30:49 pm »

I'm 30 and I found out about DF through a forum for a different homebrew game.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2008, 04:48:56 pm »

So I was just checking birthdays and I discovered that Markavian (creator of the map archive) turned 103 this may.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2008, 12:23:07 pm »

Heh, after showing my girlfriend (I prefer partner because girlfriend sounds funny after the age of 30.) DF she feels more secure in the relationship than ever. She doesn't get the game, she doesn't see the wonder and virtue of my little empire of bearded folk in ASCII, but she knows as long as her nearest rival is DF she is utterly secure in the relationship :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2008, 12:34:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well then maybe you shouldn't have enough time for her nowadays.
Shoes...

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2008, 12:52:53 pm »

my friends dont wonder if i talk about DF but they don't try it becouse, it is hard to use/ugly and becouse if they do after it will fix them befor the computer even more ... maybe i am good at presanting DF :D but the fact that they are informatic students too should help also.
for other RL friends (not from the university) i don't tell about DF becouse i have more interesting subjects for that few days when i can see them.(studying really far away my home)

I think we should try to make a Hungarian fansite...perhaps more people would be interested in the game. The problem is, that basically no one knows about DF in Hungary.  ::)
yes that is... you can make it too :P i am laisy... (de ha akarod segitek)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2008, 03:44:43 pm »

A little over a month ago I became a part of the second group (from the top)

Belonging to the '18-23'-group (as opposed to belonging in the '17 and younger'-group) made me sad and happy at the same time. I got the slightest sting from the 'I'm-old!'-thorn, but at the same time (equally irrationally), I felt that it ment that I'm somehow more mature.

I sometimes feel that I'm much too young to discuss things with older people (be it 5 or 50 years), so becoming older made me happier in this respect. The main thing that makes me appreciate older people in discussions is that they generally write and express their thoughts very clearly, which I think I can't do well enough. Although not being native English-speaker definitely has a large effect in this.

I've been playing DF since I was 17.25. A friend recommended it to me in last November because of the Z-level update. He probably found it from Something Awful Forums.

Just turned 17. I don't know a single person in RL who's interested in DF... most of them start screaming "ARGH! NOOOOOO!" When i start talking about it... :-\

My friends don't start doing that until I SHOW them DF.
I interestingly have 3 real life friends who play DF and 1 real life friend who goes "ARGH! NOOOO!", everytime the conversation turns to DF (which it does disturbingly often.) Then there's the other people (girls and such) who just look at us strangely when we talk about beating childs to death with their brother's arms and planning kitten-powered spiketraps.

MajFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2008, 04:10:14 pm »

I'm 19 myself, and the strategy genre is like a toy story to a two year old to me.

I think I was reading something about Majesty when I saw something about Dwarf Fortress. I take a look, go "This looks interesting..." and download it. I couldn't get a single world to form. Then I just generated a world while browsing, and I got the world I wanted. After that, I was hooked.

Of course, I just showed it to my nine-year-old nephew. He thinks it's "boring," and that he hates "needing imagination." Figures.
Quote from: foop
Quote from: Bodkin
...and I've wasted everybody's time.  Not that anybody here would have been off curing cancer...

It's funny you should say that, but what I should be doing is rebuilding a database that maps experimentally determined carcinogenic mutations in protein kinases to known structures as part of a human-annotated cancer research resource.  What I'm actually doing is reading the DF forums.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2008, 04:16:34 pm »

17 here.

Its probably hard to tell because I have wild swings of maturity/immaturity based on how excited I am. I expected an older demographic for this and more female players than the usual videogame community.

Found this out on the Machall comic, I haven't been playing that much recently due to the facts that:
A. School, and mostly moving from one highschool to another... again
and
B. I personally know no one who plays this game, not one, and those that have seen it had results from "visually unappealing" to "haha! loser!".

Playing this game to me was like learning another language, and although you might hate learning it, once you know it you'll have no regrets.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »

Damn am I the youngest... I am 12 turning 13 next year and all my friends make fun of me because the dwarfs are smiles and the game is in ASCII graphics.

But I am a lot more mature then 12...

(still can't believe I am the youngest...)

12!!!1! I never thought anybody that young could understand DF.

are you saying I am stupid or 12 year old people (like myself) are stupid?

Incidentally it's a well known fact that males become severely retarded between the ages of 13 and 18 (higher for some); that doesn't necessarily go for all areas of intelligence though.

:P

Anyways I'm 21 (holy shit am I actually that old)

I have...one friend I've managed to get into it (we learned together; what happened was I discovered the game, gave it a shot, gave up, called him up and was like "Dude, we have to learn this game" and then we did)...one friend (my best bro) that started getting into it with me right there teaching him but then never actually played, and then my housemates watch me play from time to time and laugh at me for it. None of my other friends really know; they wouldn't understand if I told them. They'd just write it off as another one of my quirks.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7