Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting discoveries involving high-value color tokens.  (Read 1061 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Interesting discoveries involving high-value color tokens.
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:52:55 pm »

Thanks to Steelion in this topic, I discovered two, maybe three rather interesting effects of setting color values to something higher than 7.

Values 8-15

Setting the value of the foreground or background color to anything from 8 to 15, with the brightness value at Zero, appears to set it to the same colors of the "standard" values of 0-7, in the same order. However, the brightness value will effectively be Nonzero. Although this may not seem very interesting at first, it also applies to background color, meaning that you can use this trick to give the background a "bright" color, which is not possible using the standard values.

Setting the foreground or background color to 8-15 and setting the brightness to Nonzero has unusual effects that appear to affect both colors, even if one of them is a "standard" value. I'm not sure of the specifics yet (although the colors appear to be constant, as opposed to the higher values I'll get to in a few seconds), and I will continue to research that later. Secondly:

Values higher than 15:

Setting the foreground value to anything higher than 15 has an odd effect. At first, I thought the creature was cycling through several colors, almost always green and occaisonally gray. After a minute or two of careful examination, I realized that the creature's color depended on the corresponding color of the tile it was standing on. Xenomorph has a more technical explanation in the topic I mentioned earlier.

Setting the background value has the same effect, but since almost all (if not all) walkable tiles have a black background, the creature's background will probably be black in all cases except on the unit list.

Note: setting the brightness value to anything other than 0 or 1 appears to act as 1. This is probably because it only checks for zero or nonzero numbers.

My to-do list:

- find the exact effect of setting a color to 8-15 and setting the brightness to nonzero
- check for effects of negative values
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting discoveries involving high-value color tokens.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:06:19 pm »

Huh. Very cool. Keep us posted.

the creature's color depended on the corresponding color of the tile it was standing on.

Oooh, I should mod in a chameleon creature using this trick!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 09:17:11 pm »

If you want the technical spoiler...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Steelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:57:34 am »

Well, I guess I'm proud to have discovered this quirk. It was awfully weird when I saw it first. Didn't occur to me that it was taking the ground tile color.  :-\

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:41:51 am »

This means we can have actual black objects instead of always dark gray. Cool.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:39:49 am »

This is awesome! Can you say, chameleon beast. ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.