Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [40d] Peasant to Legendary Champion in less than one season  (Read 2798 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Peasant to Legendary Champion in less than one season
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:08:03 pm »

This is an unmodded build, using no weird anything, I even went back to using curses_square_16x16 as my font.

Spring of 102, immigrants arrive, among them 4 peasants. I make a weapon rack and armor stand and give them a little room, leather armor, and shields, and send them to train.

Summer of 102, all four of them become legendary champion wrestlers.

This does not seem correct. It took a few years for this to happen on my previous forts even with [SPEED:400] for my dwarves. I'm looking for ways to kill these dwarves now because it feels like I cheated.

Save has been emailed to Toady.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Peasant to Legendary Champion in less than one season
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:51:31 pm »

I'd like to add that in every fort I'v started since 40d, my miners are all legendary by the first summer as well, almost regardless of starting skill.

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:35:26 pm »

This happened for my starting miner, who went from Proficient to Legendary by mid spring. All he dug was sand though, cut away about 200 squares by himself, but still seems very fast

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:46:36 pm »

those legendary miners i was talking about before, now elite wrestlers, in less then one season. from dabbling.

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:59:08 pm »

I just had the same thing happen to me, a bunch of champ wrestlers in less than a year.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:40:49 pm »

Were you in an evil biome and did you send them after the wildlife?  I just had that happen to me.
About half the time, wrestleres will get a choke hold and try to strangle their victim, and if their victim is skeletal or zombie, it doesn't do anything, so they'll sit on the ground repeatedly strangling the poor zombie marmot until they reach legendary, which takes less than a season.  They're very vulnerable in that condition, since they're basically stuck so you may have to send some (armed) soldiers to rescue them.  Miners will do in a pinch, though the draft may piss them off.

Perhaps wrestlers should be set to not strangle creatures that don't need to breathe?

Dr_Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:16:48 am »

I've had similar case - 4 peasants became legendary wrestlers in 1 season (maybe 4-5 months, wasn't watching them that closely).
Fort was sealed, so that couldn't have been zombie choking case. Training them as champion hammerdwarfs took much more time (about 1 year)

edit:

Mining:
I've started fresh fort, all dwarfs had no skill. One of them was mining sand. I've kept him fresh using dwarf companion, so he was digging all the time. He reached legendary level on 3rd Hematite, so it took him exactly 1 season. He dug 1800 tiles confirming wiki information on exp/tile rate.

Side note:
Other dwarfs were just sitting on wagon socializing themselves... and they gained 11000-12000 exp points from that (4 attribute increases! ). All were ecstatic from talking with their lovers/friends, even though they were caught by snowstorm and rain, slept in dirt, had neither chairs nor tables... weird.

Wrestling without armor:
Fresh fort started, I've build 1 bed and dug small room for barracks. Dwarf Companion was used only once (healing spine wound). No armor and no weapons used.
Training started: 9th Granite
First elite wrestler: 1st Slate (19 days)
Last elite wrestler: 17th Slate (34 days)
date of becoming champion:
21st Slate (38 days)
26th Slate (43 days)
28th Slate (45 days)
2nd Felsite*3 (49 days)
9th Felsite (56 days)

Average time: 47 days

Wrestling in armor:
Fresh fort, 1 bed, small room digged. Starting points modded using Gibbed's Tweak.
Armor: steel chain mail, steel helmet, steel gauntlets, steel low boots, steel greaves.
shield: steel shield

Training started: 4th Granite

First Elite wrestler: 18th Slate (42 days)
Last Elite wrestler:4th Felsite (56 days)
4th Felsite (56 days)
5th Felsite (57 days)
11th Felsite (63 days)
15th Felsite (67 days)
23rd Felsite (75 days)
25th Felsite*2 (77 days)

Average time: 67,5 days

Hammerdwarfs with armor:
Training started: 5th granite
first Hammer Lord: 21st Limestone (184 days)
I think it's pointless to continue training - it's obvious it takes much more time. I estimate, that training in wrestling gives ~5-7 times more xp.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:16:34 am by Dr_Dungeon »
- Dis is turnink into vun of DOSE plans... Hyu know - de kind vere ve keel everybody dot notices dot ve's killin'people. And how do dose alvays end?
- De dirigible iz in flames, everyboddyz dead an'ive lost my hat.
- Dot's right. Und any plan vere you lose your hat iz?
- A bad plan?
- Right again!

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:32:29 am »

I've had this happen too. I was using [SPEED:1] dwarves, though, so I thought it was usual. But this is happening for all speeds, yeah?

Weird.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 10:44:26 am »

Yeah, wrestling experience gain is clearly out of line with everything else. An easy way to compare is to check out the soldiers' armor-use and shield-use skills - if you have an Expert wrestler who's only a Novice shield-user (having used shields all his military life), you know something's up.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 03:30:48 am »

huh... was going to submit a bug report on this exact issue, but I guess that isnt necessary as its been done more thoroughly then I ever could have. I did notice the discrepancy between the wrestling skill and armour skill however. Trained 4 dwarves straight from the first wave of migrants, they hit elite few minutes ago. Ive had the fort going well under a year, it took them a little over a season, perhaps. I've never seen the likes of it before.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 08:19:37 am »

I've had similar case - 4 peasants became legendary wrestlers in 1 season (maybe 4-5 months, wasn't watching them that closely).
Fort was sealed, so that couldn't have been zombie choking case. Training them as champion hammerdwarfs took much more time (about 1 year)

edit:

Mining:
I've started fresh fort, all dwarfs had no skill. One of them was mining sand. I've kept him fresh using dwarf companion, so he was digging all the time. He reached legendary level on 3rd Hematite, so it took him exactly 1 season. He dug 1800 tiles confirming wiki information on exp/tile rate.

Side note:
Other dwarfs were just sitting on wagon socializing themselves... and they gained 11000-12000 exp points from that (4 attribute increases! ). All were ecstatic from talking with their lovers/friends, even though they were caught by snowstorm and rain, slept in dirt, had neither chairs nor tables... weird.

Wrestling without armor:
Fresh fort started, I've build 1 bed and dug small room for barracks. Dwarf Companion was used only once (healing spine wound). No armor and no weapons used.
Training started: 9th Granite
First elite wrestler: 1st Slate (19 days)
Last elite wrestler: 17th Slate (34 days)
21st Slate (38 days)
26th Slate (43 days)
28th Slate (45 days)
2nd Felsite*3 (49 days)
9th Felsite (56 days)

Average time: 47 days

Wrestling in armor:
Fresh fort, 1 bed, small room digged. Starting points modded using Gibbed's Tweak.
Armor: steel chain mail, steel helmet, steel gauntlets, steel low boots, steel greaves.
shield: steel shield

Training started: 4th Granite

First Elite wrestler: 18th Slate (42 days)
Last Elite wrestler:4th Felsite (56 days)
4th Felsite (56 days)
5th Felsite (57 days)
11th Felsite (63 days)
15th Felsite (67 days)
23rd Felsite (75 days)
25th Felsite*2 (77 days)

Average time: 67,5 days

Hammerdwarfs with armor:
Training started: 5th granite
first Hammer Lord: 21st Limestone (184 days)
I think it's pointless to continue training - it's obvious it takes much more time. I estimate, that training in wrestling gives ~5-7 times more xp.

Oh, nice analysis I must say, I was lazy to note down all this stuff... :-X
Yeah, this should be a bit more balanced, I agree. Socializing - skill gain and wrestling skill gain it is what I meant.
[As a side note, I dont think that this is a bug actually. This is simply a balance issue.]

Fuzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 12:21:03 pm »

Yeah, wrestling experience gain is clearly out of line with everything else. An easy way to compare is to check out the soldiers' armor-use and shield-use skills - if you have an Expert wrestler who's only a Novice shield-user (having used shields all his military life), you know something's up.
Although... does it count as shield/armor use if you dodge? Wrestling also trains your dodging skills, so it could be that one of the discrepancies is the result of them increasingly dodging blows and therefore not gaining armor/shield skills.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 03:32:09 am »

Don't dwarves take breaks from sparring if they get injured? So far as I've seen (though admittedly I've not sent in legendary dwarves to spar with novices) a dwarf doesn't take injuries from sparring while wrestling, where they seem to take (occasionally crippling) injuries when sparring with live weapons. Maybe the fact that they spend downtime recovering is to blame?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:26:03 am »

No, I don't think so - the same dwarves that I've trained to Legendary in wrestling in one season did not make Legendary in hammers in another, and I know that neither of them were injured during that process.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Annales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 02:07:56 am »

Yes, this bug keeps me from getting any legendary weapon-wielding dorfs. It's kinda bothering since they're very near awesomeness with their weapon skills and then *shding!* "Hail champion wrestler McUrist" and they go and drop their weapons never to pick it up again since they're the über wrestlers (like the other 20 military dudes).

Definitely a big frustration. Same goes for the fortress guards who go legendary all to quickly and pop arms and legs of others in no time.
Pages: [1] 2