Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: a possible solution to arrow problem  (Read 2477 times)

balmung002

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
a possible solution to arrow problem
« on: September 11, 2008, 10:49:39 pm »

so a sudden idea struck me in the head while I was falling asleep: instead of trying to get the game to count specific amounts of arrows and put them into quivers, why not just make the marksdwarves carry more quivers when they run around? Admittedly, two quivers filled to the brim is kinda overpowered(50 arrows!) but hell, they're archers. The last thing I want them to do is to run up thinking that their crossbow is a hammer. The two quiver thing doesn't seem hard to implement, and so long as the archer checks both quivers to see if there's SOMETHING in both of them, there's a smaller chance of having a single arrow in the quiver.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a possible solution to arrow problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:53:19 pm »

How about Large stacks have priority... and small stacks have priority for training?

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:29:48 am »

That's a fine idea.  (Small vs. large priority)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:34:03 am »

or two quivers and try to carry both training and real ammo?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:39:24 am »

This doesn't solve the problem at all. The worst case scenario is still than your dwarves enter battle with two quivers and two bolts.

This has been discussed before and the main fix needed is to make quivers more like a wallet. It can hold so and so amount of bolts but it doesn't matter how many stacks are in it.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

balmung002

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:00:40 pm »

aye, there is a chance that it can still hold two single arrows, but say that each quiver holds 25 bolts. The marksdwarf shoots 37 or so, enough to completely use up a quiver's worth and enough to affect the other stack. Once he's out of battle, he'll generate the "fill quiver" command, or whatever it is ingame, and so he'll attempt to pick up arrows to fill the empty quiver. Now, instead of the lone 13 arrows he would've gone off with, he would have 13 arrows PLUS whatever he picked up... which could be a single arrow, but I'd rather pick up an extra arrow than none at all. This shouldn't affect battle; he'll just get the "interrupted by whatever" command and start shooting. There just needs to be a way to keep track of the current quiver that he's using, so that he can fully use up one quiver before using the next

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 02:18:42 pm »

This doesn't solve the problem at all. The worst case scenario is still than your dwarves enter battle with two quivers and two bolts.

This has been discussed before and the main fix needed is to make quivers more like a wallet. It can hold so and so amount of bolts but it doesn't matter how many stacks are in it.

IN THEORY, that is the designed behaviour

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 03:18:09 pm »

It would kindasorta fix the problem.  Partially.

The problem with this idea is that in terms of the end user, going from what we have now to what it'll be when fixed isn't much of a jump.  Going halfway between that will be even less of a jump, to the point where I don't think it would be worth the effort (especially since it'll have to be removed anyways once it's fixed for real).
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:58:41 am »

A current workaround is to use stairs to build an ammo stockpile as close as possible to your crossbow dwarves. While you'll probably have plenty of dwarves with just 1 bolt in their quivers, if you reduce the steps to bins of bolts to just 3-4 steps from the main battlement (preferably creating a shooting gallery to the only door), this effect is much reduced.

For example:
Code: [Select]
++++++++++++
=@@@@@@@@@@=
=..<....<..=
=..........=

+ fortifications
@ dorfs!
= wall
. floor
< stairs

Either above or below would be an ammo stockpile, depending on local architecture, thus almost completely eliminating the travel time for a dwarf to pick up a new load of ammunition. Also, for maximum effect station dwarves individually. No squads, just line them up individually.

For the goblins, its like charging a line of machine guns.  :o

I do agree that the ultimate fix would be to allow ranged ammunition to be mixed and matched in quivers up to a certain number of bolts, but for now, you can use fortress design to get around it.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:36:19 am »

Wurm Online has an awesome combining system. Can't we adopt something like that? From what I know, we have reactions. For example: steel, food, booze.

What if ordering a "Combine bolts" order in a bowers workshop would have him combine the nearest bolts together into groups of 25. Averaging their quality. I don't see why this wouldn't work. Of course decorations will vanish but what kind of idiot decorates AMMO?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:37:38 am »

because some materials and objects have certain abilities that don't mix well such as artifacts and objects MUCH STRONGER or MUCH WEAKER.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:26:10 am »

I don't see a need to combine bolts in stacks (besides CPU issues!), archers just need to fill their quivers to the max when doing "Pickup Equipment" job instead of getting the minimum necessary.  If too many items is an issue, the game can auto-destroy the bolt after use.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:21:46 am »

Now there is an idea. Add an init option to destroy ALL bolts upon firing. That way we will mostly get rid of 1 bolt stacks until we have a good system of dealing with em.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 12:21:18 pm »

Isn't there one already?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 01:00:12 pm »

Isn't there one already?

If there is can you tell me what it is :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: [1] 2