Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demoralized units no longer 'v'iewable  (Read 1240 times)

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demoralized units no longer 'v'iewable
« on: September 11, 2008, 08:38:12 am »

I have been besieged by a horde of goblins led by a legendary elf (wearing an elf bone ring). A couple of my dwarfs plus the human caravan guards scared the elf into running away - I wanted to see how badly he was hurt, so I paused it and hit "v" but I don't seem to be able to select the elf at all (he does still show up in the loo'k' listing).

(edit -- the above is incorrect; I thought 'k' still showed him, but all that I see there is "Claystone" now)

Full disclosure: I'm running on Linux under wine, but I don't believe that would have anything to do with this - this is a logic bug, not some interaction with the windows API causing this problem.

Here's a link to my data/save directory zipped up for you: http://rapidshare.com/files/144378488/save-elf_not_a_unit.zip.html

(edit -- here's a new link to it at DFFD: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=535 )
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:42:16 pm by corvvs »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Demoralized units no longer 'v'iewable
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:29:58 am »

I see two things wrong.

1: Rapidshare.

2: Linux.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:45:29 am »

How would the fact that he was on linux make a difference to that? I don't really think that the OS he's using has any bearing on the problem. Also, whats wrong with rs? :/

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 01:04:52 pm »

How would the fact that he was on linux make a difference to that? I don't really think that the OS he's using has any bearing on the problem. Also, whats wrong with rs? :/

Basically, dwarves get sick of the same old booze. If he's using wine he should try and make some different booze. :D

Anyway... Notice the other thing I said. RAPIDSHARE sucks.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Block

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://In progress
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:50:52 pm »

Are you sure he's not flying in midair due to a strong hit from a weapon? He'll have a blue background if he's doing that. When units are in a motion like that you strangely can't view them with the v-menu.
Now with 15% more blockiness!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 02:34:31 pm »

Yeah, rapidshare sucks because it only allows a certain amount of downloading per time period per user. If someone wants your save they maybe can't get it today, or tomorrow, or whenever.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:49:45 pm »

Yeah, rapidshare sucks because it only allows a certain amount of downloading per time period per user. If someone wants your save they maybe can't get it today, or tomorrow, or whenever.

they dont seem to do that anymore, and thats something that all of this type of download site do, they have to make their business viable.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 02:52:01 pm »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:29:51 pm »

Are you sure he's not flying in midair due to a strong hit from a weapon? He'll have a blue background if he's doing that. When units are in a motion like that you strangely can't view them with the v-menu.

If he is, he's flying very slowly and for quite a long time. And when I unpaused it he apparently went unconscious, or at least stopped moving. The guards have caught up to him but I still can't view his stats, and he's definitely not a corpse yet.

RandomHajile

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:55:13 pm »

Yeah it really sounds like a stuck flying (and maybe already dead) unit issue.  There are already threads about this bug, such as: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22414.0

Mine's near the edge of the map, but causing me to be stuck in permanent siege mode...luckily I have made it to a very self-sufficient stage.  I don't get any more caravans or sieges, and my incoming king is probably stuck.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 11:44:11 am »

Yeah it really sounds like a stuck flying (and maybe already dead) unit issue.  There are already threads about this bug, such as: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22414.0

Mine's near the edge of the map, but causing me to be stuck in permanent siege mode...luckily I have made it to a very self-sufficient stage.  I don't get any more caravans or sieges, and my incoming king is probably stuck.

Know what, you're right - that must be what it is. The siege flag won't clear, same cyan background on the unit, etc. Only new thing on mine is that he doesn't show up for 'v' either. The units list shows him as dead (at least I think it's him - it's the only legendary elf on there. I can't double check the name since I can't view him) my best guess is he bled to death while in midair and that screwed it up somehow. (dead units can't move and there's no support for "ragdoll physics" so his position and status froze and couldn't be updated for some reason...)

Maybe when you remove the unit from the "living" list and create a corpse for it, manually set the "I'm flying!" flag to 0? At least until when/if ragdolls get implemented. (Will DF get a framerate boost from PhysX cards at that point? :P)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:05 pm »

(Will DF get a framerate boost from PhysX cards at that point? :P)

I know you're joking, but it has been a serious request, which brings up the question: How does a PhysX card help a sprite game?

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 10:16:04 pm »

(Will DF get a framerate boost from PhysX cards at that point? :P)

I know you're joking, but it has been a serious request, which brings up the question: How does a PhysX card help a sprite game?

People have put in actual requests/suggestions to accelerate the physics in this game with hardware support? Wow. My best guess is they aren't programmers themselves and don't know what the PhysX cards actually do. AFAIK they basically just take a handful of vectors and do matrix math on them very fast, offloading it from the CPU. (caveat: I have not investigated this personally, but I have programmed a 3d engine with a friend and this is my best guess as to what they would be accelerating, based on the reported results of using one in a game which is written to support it)

The effort involved in coding support for them hardly seems like it would be worth the TINY tiny bit of help it might be to a game like this. And I do mean "tiny", and I do mean "might" - there are no particle effects in here that don't fill an entire tile, and not really a way to make such things meaningful, so the amount of help it could be with smoke drift direction and such is really miniscule. MAYBE their API has built-in functions for calculating fluid effects (pressure, flow, and such) but again such things are not worth accelerating at all on a tile-sized scale, and a sub-tile scale is virtually or actually meaningless.

So yeah. To actually write PhysX support for this game would be a negative result on time invested. IOW, the amount of time spent doing that (compared to making other, actually useful code) would be worth more than the amount of CPU time saved on the computers of every Dwarf Fortress player in existence.