Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Basic troubleshooting sticky  (Read 813 times)

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Basic troubleshooting sticky
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:23:51 pm »

A lot of the bug reports made are of commonly known bugs or well known technical issues. Maybe a sticky thread of common misconceptions, display problems, well known bugs and solutions/workarounds to help cut down on some of the repeat traffic. I know that not everyone will read a sticky, but having a convenient place to keep the knowledge and might help new users and experienced users alike to keep track of things.

...sorry if this has been suggested/shot down before. I didn't see it on the first few pages.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Basic troubleshooting sticky
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:46:19 am »

sounds reasonable to me,
that would also made it easier to access the solutions and workarounds to those problems :)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:20:12 am »

There's already a list of reported bugs linked to at the top of the bug report forum.   It's more easily utilized than a thread.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:24:21 am »

Hi!

I think one main problem for some people is finding the right words for the search in either the forums (nightmare!) or the bug list. The complexity of the game is a main issue there, as certain behaviors/problems can be described in ways differing radically.

Unfortunately, I don't see any easy solution to that problem at the horizon.

Deathworks

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:00:07 am »

Well, a short list of the major new issues wouldn't be remiss, but if you added every little burp... well that's what the full buglist is for

(I.E. the big problems with the last 2-3 versions that are new.)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:37:19 am »

I think this would be a great idea for common misconceptions and such. For example, how often does "my dwarfs are walking on rivers!!1!" pop up? It's not on the bug list, because it's not a bug (though the answer could probably be found with a forum search...). I can't think of them right now, but I know there are several others that seem to pop up roughly once a week or more.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 10:58:07 am »

I think this would be a great idea for common misconceptions and such. For example, how often does "my dwarfs are walking on rivers!!1!" pop up?

Kinda like this?