Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves =/= Turkeys, right?  (Read 776 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves =/= Turkeys, right?
« on: September 10, 2008, 05:27:56 pm »

I'm pretty certain, mainly because although they're standing in the rain, they're not getting any less thirsty.

I recently received a few announcements about some dwarves trying to drink in "forbidden areas" which I have yet to set any of.  This is a brand new fortress, mind you, after the whole debacle with the well couldn't be solved, I said screw it.  So, built my self a nice stock pile for about half the stuff (I throw stones, wood, blocks and gems all in one stockpile.) I wanted to make eventual use of, and then built a mason's shop to start pumping out blocks and a carpenter's shop to pump out the bins to keep space usage down.  Next thing I know I get a few announcements about dwarves trying to Drink in a forbidden area, which is something I've never had pop up before, and they stop doing anything, including moving in any way.  Currently 4 of the original 7 are standing above ground doing nothing but staring at the sky and being thirsty, soon to be hungry, and eventually rather disgruntled/dead.  So, on to the question:  Anyone have any idea in Mordor what is going on?

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves =/= Turkeys, right?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 05:35:33 pm »

Did you bump some buttons and accidentally order your dorfs to stay inside?

Or turn on "Zone drinking only"?

Onetime I was trying to place furtniture stockpiles, with "p -> u", but accidentally set "Dwarves ignore furniture" by mistakenly hitting "o -> u". My dwarves would not haul furniture to stockpiles after I did this, and it took me a long time to figure out that I had bumped my orders menu.

So I'd say "Check your orders menu".
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves =/= Turkeys, right?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 05:40:11 pm »

Hadn't thought of that.  I'll check.
~~~
Well, just did.  Nothing.
~~~
Mucked with some stuff,  and they're moving now.  No idea why...  Maybe they decided that dying isn't too cool.