Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A gentle farming adjustment.  (Read 4620 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A gentle farming adjustment.
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:32:27 am »

After reading this discussion, I decided to publish a very minor mod for the sake of balancing out farming a little.  You can download it here.

Installation

1.  Back up the matgloss_plant.txt file in your dwarffort/raw/objects folder in case of unforeseen complications.

2.  Download file to your dwarffort/raw/objects folder, overwriting the existing file.

3.  ?!?

4.  Profit!

Changes

The main aim of the mod is to correct the more grievous imbalances (tee hee) in the current food system.  To this effect:

• Growth times have been adjusted to seasonal, biannual or annual for most plants, certain weeds and fungi grow faster.  Only plump helmets retain their old growth rates.
  • All underground flora now grows at all seasons, longland grass cannot grow in winter, sun berries only grow in summer.
  • Food has been balanced by value per year, not per item.  Generally, overland crops are worth more than underground crops for the land they use up, but harvest less often.  As a result, overland crops are now worth significantly more per item.
  • Brewing has been balanced such that there is an overall profit on raw items for brewing, but where the plant can be eaten raw this no longer vastly exceeds the raw value.  All drinks are now worth less per unit than the plants used to make them (but there is a general profit).
  • Similarly, plant extraction is now fixed for sweet pods - five units of dwarven syrup are worth slightly less than one bag of sugar, exchanging value for versatility.
  • With the above in mind, plants have been calibrated such that some are best used raw in cooking, some are best brewed for liquor, milling generally yields a greater value overall compared to brewing (but brewing produces more items) where the choice exists, and some are quick-growing at the expense of overall value.
  • For a full explanation and description, check the calculations in the raws.

By and large you will get less profit growing underground plants but they have the advantages of multiple z-level growth and can be grown under freezing biomes.  Generally underground plants will produce more often than surface plants and so are good for bulk production.

Overall, surface plants are superior in value but less frequent than subterranean plants, and the three 'special' plants produce the best economic value but two of them only fruit once a year and the third sacrifices quality for absurdly fast production.  The 'best' plants for purely economic value are probably the two fibrous plants due to the massive value multipliers that can apply to cloth.  Caveat ludor:  Both make very poor liquor and rather less frequently than other plants.  Be cautious if you plan on using these as a staple crop now.

Only vanilla plants have been used, so theoretically these may integrate into an existing game without too much difficulty (although your fort value might skyrocket when it recalculates the value of your food stocks).  For safety's sake, gen a new world when you try this module out.

Cheeses have not been altered, those are contained in the creature files.  Additionally, given the difficulty of extracting dwarven milk and in comparison to the new prices, this is not as much of a problem.  Mastercrafted roasts still are, however, so proceed as ever with caution.

Potential Issues

• The plants have been calibrated such that most will take at least twice the field space they used to require to attain the same number of plants, but some still produce at only slightly less than their old rates.  Plump helmets produce at their old rates but have had their values altered to compensate.  Hide roots and sliver barbs now grow much faster than before at the price of value, but there is a chance this may prove unbalanced.  Caveat ludor.
  • The median value of plants has been increased slightly on the overall scale and vastly on the individual plants (strawberries are now practically a luxury good) but variance has been decreased dramatically.  In layman's terms, things are generally worth more, but there is less wild variation in prices.  You can no longer produce 25¤ of sunshine from 1¤ of sun berries, harvesting them seven times a year (for a wonderfully broken total value of 175¤ per tile per year, but nothing to the 700¤ a year in dwarven syrup).  At those rates, why ever plant anything else other than dye and pigtails?  Still, the long-term effects of this rebalance is not yet known, so proceed with caution.
  • One potential effect is that food as an item will grow more expensive, even though food as an industry is now worth less.  There is a chance that you may not actually be able to feed people after the economy sets in, so I advise keeping a bit of raw rat weed and plump helmet on hand for that.

I have not had the time to playtest this extensively yet, so be aware that there may still be balance issues.  Those who download, please feel free to post criticisms or reports after testing it out in your forts.

Finally...

• Longland grass is an excellent crop for milling and fine for brewing, but temperamental.  It will not grow in winter, and seeds planted at the start of spring will emerge sometime in the middle of autumn.  If you are very fast, you might sneak a second lot of seedlings in before autumn ends and harvest again in spring, but whether or not you will be able to then replant in time for the crops to reach maturity before the end of next autumn is anyone's guess.
  • The real cash crops, the fibrous plants, sunberries, whip vines and strawberries, may not be the best options for starting out a fortress on.  Most of them have very lengthy growth periods that may leave your fortress starving if it lacks enough food to start off with.  The two cheap and weedy crops, plump helmets and rat weeds, have growth cycles of a mere one and two months respectively and can get you enough starting food to work on planting a more stable foodsource such as longland grass or cave wheat.
  • Remember, losing is fun!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

dio82

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A gentle farming adjustment.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:58:05 am »

Sounds Great!

I'll try your mod.

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:21:47 pm »

Looks nice and has a lot more thought to it than the mods I usually do to make farming harder.
I'll check it out.

To make Herbalism less viable, I usually cut down [FREQUENCY] and [CLUSTERSIZE] down as well and remove [EDIBLE_RAW] from all plants.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:45:54 pm »

Looks good.  I'll try it this weekend . . .

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:52:24 pm »

Does anyone have the old version of this mod?  The OP says it's only vanilla plants, but the file has like a zillion custom plants.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:48:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this is the whole original.  It's pretty awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:52:31 am »

Awesome, thanks!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 05:37:54 am »

Yes, thank you.  I had just begun a world with the file in the first post, and was coming back with a question.  I see now that it is not the right file at all.

However, I will ask my question anyway, since it is an interesting file.

I generated a world with the file in the first post.  The problem is that the extract for one of the plants shows up as a blank line in the stockpile settings.  It is the one for sicklethorn toxin.  It is missing some numbers on the line I have indicated below.

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:SICKLETHORN]
   [TILE:148][COLOR:4:0:0]
   [NAME:sicklethorn cactus][NAME_PLURAL:sicklethorn cacti]
   [VALUE:5]
   [DRY][WET][EVIL]
   [BIOME:DESERT_BADLAND]
   [BIOME:DESERT_ROCK]
   [BIOME:DESERT_SAND]
   [GENPOWER:3]
   [GROWDUR:1512]
   [DRINK:desert's draught:4:0:0]
   [DRINKVALUE:4]
   [EXTRACT:sicklethorn toxin] <== MISSING SOME NUMBERS
   [EXTRACT_STILL_VIAL]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:8]
   [SUMMER][AUTUMN]
   [FREQUENCY:100]
   [CLUSTERSIZE:5]
   [PREFSTRING:silver stems]
   [SEED:4:0:0]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   A sinister looking cactus that has dangerous looking
   spines and red blotches over its surface. It is nearly
   impossible to tend and keep one's skin intact. It can be
   brewed into a drink notable for causing hallucinations.

It is evident that the OP re-used the file storage for a different purpose, but others might want to try the new file anyway.  It needs the above problem fixed before it will work correctly.  I don't know if there are other errors.  That is the one I encountered.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 11:05:56 am »

Has anyone run with this mod long term that can share any insight on how well it works over the lifetime of a fortress?
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 11:58:11 am »

Has anyone run with this mod long term that can share any insight on how well it works over the lifetime of a fortress?

If you mean the original version (that I reposted above), it works fine.  Underground crops become sufficient for keeping your fortress going year-round, while aboveground crops offer a great deal of variety.  It changes trade dynamics somewhat . . . if you're used to just purchasing a bunch of cheap booze from the caravans for the first couple of years (I'm lazy, and rarely get a farm dug out and a still set up until just before the first trade caravan arrives) the new values put a bit of a squeeze on.

Aboveground crops are tougher, especially if you decide to farm in the open.  On the other hand, (I believe) the higher values involved mean happier dwarves.  So it's a tradeoff.

If Toady assimilated this (the original) mat_gloss into the vanilla version, I think it would add a lot to play value.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 09:26:14 pm »

Yea, I just started with it. The growing seasons was one thing that always bothered me and that really stood out for me. So far, the underground plans "feel" about the same in terms of usage, but it sounds like most of the difference is with the above-ground ones.

I was just wondering if there were people with experience with it.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

supa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 04:02:56 am »

Yes, thank you.  I had just begun a world with the file in the first post, and was coming back with a question.  I see now that it is not the right file at all.

However, I will ask my question anyway, since it is an interesting file.

I generated a world with the file in the first post.  The problem is that the extract for one of the plants shows up as a blank line in the stockpile settings.  It is the one for sicklethorn toxin.  It is missing some numbers on the line I have indicated below.

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:SICKLETHORN]
   [TILE:148][COLOR:4:0:0]
   [NAME:sicklethorn cactus][NAME_PLURAL:sicklethorn cacti]
   [VALUE:5]
   [DRY][WET][EVIL]
   [BIOME:DESERT_BADLAND]
   [BIOME:DESERT_ROCK]
   [BIOME:DESERT_SAND]
   [GENPOWER:3]
   [GROWDUR:1512]
   [DRINK:desert's draught:4:0:0]
   [EXTRACT:sicklethorn toxin] <== MISSING SOME NUMBERS
   [EXTRACT_STILL_VIAL]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:8]
   [SUMMER][AUTUMN]
   [FREQUENCY:100]
   [PREFSTRING:silver stems]
   [SEED:4:0:0]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   A sinister looking cactus that has dangerous looking
   spines and red blotches over its surface. It is nearly
   impossible to tend and keep one's skin intact. It can be
   brewed into a drink notable for causing hallucinations.

It is evident that the OP re-used the file storage for a different purpose, but others might want to try the new file anyway.  It needs the above problem fixed before it will work correctly.  I don't know if there are other errors.  That is the one I encountered.

just in case anyone needed help fixing the error, [EXTRACT:sicklethorn toxin] needs a color value at the end of the tag. it should be replaced by something like [EXTRACT:sicklethorn toxin:5:0:0].

i dunno what color the author wanted the extract to be so i just put in whatever. in this case 5:0:0 makes it magenta. http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Color#Modding_color

as a side note, i'm enjoying this mod and especially the brief notes in the raws. it gives the plants a little more flavor. it's too bad they aren't viewable as in-game descriptions.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:00:16 am »

I am enjoying the old form which was relisted, to which I added Pickerel's reindeer moss, beehives, and cacao bush.  I tried to adjust his plants to Iituem's economic basis, and added mead as a honey-based drink. 

I added the reindeer moss because it irritated me that the greenhouse in my arctic colony could grow nothing despite being roofed in and open to the rest of the delving (ie, heated as much as the rest, however much that was, but at least not freezing) because of the game's handling of the outdoor/above-ground/light situation.

I added honey and cacao because I like them.   ;D

Yield tile/year=4, 48 per tile raw, 40 per tile drink, 40 per tile milled
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:CLADINA_RANGIFERINA]
   [TILE:227][COLOR:3:0:1]
   [NAME:reindeer moss][NAME_PLURAL:reindeer moss]
   [GROWDUR:1000][VALUE:12]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:3:0:1]
   [SEEDNAME:cladina bits][SEED:4:0:1]
   [WET][DRY]
   [BIOME:TUNDRA]
   [BIOME:FOREST_TAIGA]
   [BIOME:MOUNTIAN]
   [GENPOWER:2]
   [DRINK:Aquavit:3:0:1]
   [DRINKVALUE:2]
   [MILL:cladina powder:7:0:1]
   [MILL_VALUE:10]
   [COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]
   [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
   [FREQUENCY:5]
   [PREFSTRING:twining branches]
   [PREFSTRING:thick mats]

Yield 2/tile/year, 40 per tile raw,90 per tile extracted, 90 per tile drink
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:HONEY1]
   [TILE:'B'][COLOR:6:0:0]
   [NAME:temperate bee hive][NAME_PLURAL:temperate bee hives]
   [GROWDUR:1100][VALUE:20]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:6:0:0]
   [EXTRACT:Honey:6:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:9]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL]
   [EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [DRINK:mead:0:0:1]
   [DRINKVALUE:9]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [SEED:6:0:1][SEEDNAME:temperate queen bee]
   [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]
   [PREFSTRING:droning hum]
   [DRY]
   [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE]

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:HONEY2]
   [TILE:'B'][COLOR:6:0:0]
   [NAME:tropical bee hive][NAME_PLURAL:tropical bee hives]
   [GROWDUR:1400][VALUE:20]
   [SHRUB_COLOR:6:0:0]
   [EXTRACT:Honey:6:0:1]
   [EXTRACTVALUE:9]
   [EXTRACT_BARREL]
   [EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [DRINK:mead:0:0:1]
   [DRINKVALUE:9]
   [EDIBLE_VERMIN]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [SEED:6:0:1][SEEDNAME:tropical queen bee]
   [PREFSTRING:social behavior]
   [DRY]
   [BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL]

Yield tile/year=4, 40 per tile raw, 80 per tile drink, 80 per tile milled
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:CACAO_BUSH]
   [TILE:´&´][COLOR:0:0:1]
   [NAME:cacao bush][NAME_PLURAL:cacao bushes]
   [GROWDUR:1000]
   [DRY][WET]
   [BIOME:FOREST_TROPICAL_MOIST_BROADLEAF]
   [VALUE:10]
   [GENPOWER:1]
   [MILL:chocolate powder:7:0:1]
   [MILL_VALUE:20]
   [COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]
   [DRINK:creme de cacao:0:0:1]
   [EDIBLE_RAW]
   [PREFSTRING:flowers]
   [PREFSTRING:colored pods]
   [SEED:0:0:1]

I do agree that the underground plants should grow in all seasons, and it is definitely feeling different with cave wheat, for instance, having a long growing season.  Here, by the way, is a link to a possible picture of cave wheat.  Beautiful, isn't it?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Monotropastrum_humile.jpg

Since my currently used embark party supply list consists of nothing but 2 cats, 2 dogs, 1 rope, one axe, two picks, turtles, plump helmets, plump helmet spawn, and 101 barrels of each type of booze, I have been able to adjust to this new model rather easily but it does slow down production which is a nice change and makes it a little more important to plan instead of just making more and more stockpiles for the overwhelming amount of food that is produced from the vanilla model.

I also verified that the plant token processing won't accept any cheese tokens, despite the presence of plant cheese on the stockpile menu.

Edit: corrected BIOME statement errors on Pickerel's plants, and also removed all biomes except mountain, tundra, and taiga forest from the reindeer moss because that is how I play it
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:54:14 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 06:53:03 pm »

My name is Lyrax, and I approve of this mod!
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 01:17:52 am »

One comment!

The sun berries must be changed to grow during fall as well as summer, because they take about a full season to grow - a little longer, I think.  As is, they cannot be planted at all.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster
Pages: [1] 2