Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Immigrant Wave _EVER_  (Read 937 times)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Immigrant Wave _EVER_
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:06:37 pm »

1 Thresher
3 Armorsmiths (wat? o.o)
1 Weaponsmith
1 Engraver
2 Haulers Peasants
1 Mason
1 Bone Carver
1 Bowyer
1 Recruit Milker
1 Recruit Glassmaker
1 Recruit Fish Disector

I'm not being sarcastic - that has to be the highest percentage of useful dwarves I've ever seen in a single wave. I actually _needed_ a thresher! And 3 armorsmiths?? That might actually be too many! Never had that problem before!

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Immigrant Wave _EVER_
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 05:22:03 pm »

I have about fifteen miners in my current fort. I have a policy of never training more miners (my inital six is always plenty), so do the math. I have to carefully dig around anything worthwile while mining, and I've seriously considered recruiting the newcomers and turning them into my military:

Moral of the story: those useful immigrants aren't always as useful as they seem.

Other moral of the story: keep a magma forge limited to "novice" and below cranking out silver shortswords (or whatever) and enable weaponsmithing on all your peasants. Then when they mood, they'll produce a kick-ass weapon, and you get a bunch of crappy shortswords (or whatever) to train your army with.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:32 pm »

All of my immigrants are useful. Especially when I'm working on giant statues or digging out half a z-level.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 06:09:41 pm »

I had a fortress where about half the immigrants were soldiers, wave after wave.  Complete with steel armor and weapons.

Might have had something to do with the goblin fortress encompassing the middle of the map.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:43:44 pm »

Having lots of extra armorsmiths doesn't have much of a downside, IMO. It drastically increases the chance of one of them getting a mood and becoming legendary, which is a spectacular boon for the fortress. If you're trying to train one of them up conventionally at the same time you can always forbid the others from participating in armorsmithing for now, use them as haulers and such in the meantime.