Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most beautifully doomed baby snatcher ever  (Read 2808 times)

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most beautifully doomed baby snatcher ever
« on: September 09, 2008, 03:40:36 pm »

Just had one of those perfect moments that I felt needed to be shared. :)

The fort is Shootbinds, ten years old and with a well-developed elite military. The dwarves of Shootbinds are a bunch of paranoid survivalists, so the fort's entrance is a bit of a bunker; there's a drawbridge that leads to a small courtyard, an entrance hall, then trade depot, a pair of double doors, and then a large barracks. Anyway, a bronze colossus showed up so I sounded the alarm and called everyone in while mustering my military in the barracks. To give myself a bit more time to prepare I ordered the drawbridge closed as soon as I'd confirmed everyone was inside. It slams shut. My troops begin gathering. This is actually my second colossus attack in this fort and the first one was a near disaster, so I'm bringing in all my big guns and loading them for bear.

Suddenly, Snatcher! Protect the children! The poor doomed bastard lost his stealth right in the middle of the barracks - he must have just got in before the drawbridge went up, there's absolutely no way out of the fort. Immediately adjacent to his tile were two champion hammerdwarves, two axe lords, and one speardwarf, all in full steel. One of the hammerdwarves winds up and lets fly. Purely by coincidence, a furnace operator just happened to be coming in through the double doors to the trade depot at that exact moment. The snatcher's body went hurtling over the furnace operator's head, through the trade depot, down the entrance hall, and finally skidded to a stop right in the middle of the courtyard.

Couldn't have planned it better. Good thing the furnace operator was quick to duck. :)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most beautifully doomed baby snatcher ever
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:42:37 pm »

"AND STAY OUT!"

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 04:06:47 am »

I got a dragon attack and my way of dealing with it was to recruit every dwarf,fit them with armour, arm them all with crossbows and gather them all in the front chamber.

So close to 100 dwarfs are walking circles around the room getting ready to face the dragon. next moment a snatcher appears in the middle of the room. Bolts come from every direction. I paused it as the bolts were in the air, there's something beautiful about a perfect ring of arrows about to hit a goblin.
The dragon wasn't much of a problem when it came through the door either.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:47:38 am »

I had similar experience like this once. A snatcher was going down the hall of my early fortress, and stepped on a stone fall, so he got some pretty severe injuries. So, I send out my war dogs, who all show up, and RIP THE LIMBS off this guy, eat his spleen (And he still isn't dead yet), and finally bite his head off. The gore and body parts everywhere added a nice miasmal touch to my fortress, since they didn't bother hauling his corpse,chunks, and body parts anywhere. 
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:56:38 am »

I keep forgetting to put my barracks anywhere sensible. I always have it on the sleeping level (way down in the fortress). I should work on that.
Also Axe27, did you unforbid the remains? I can't think why else they would be left to rot.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 12:28:52 pm »

I got a dragon attack and my way of dealing with it was to recruit every dwarf,fit them with armour, arm them all with crossbows and gather them all in the front chamber.

So close to 100 dwarfs are walking circles around the room getting ready to face the dragon. next moment a snatcher appears in the middle of the room. Bolts come from every direction. I paused it as the bolts were in the air, there's something beautiful about a perfect ring of arrows about to hit a goblin.
The dragon wasn't much of a problem when it came through the door either.

I think you just discovered why Megabeasts have such a bad time of it in worldgen

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 02:37:08 pm »

heh. For a second there I thought you were going to say that the snatcher, alive but in a lot of pain, flew over the bridge and landed at the feet of the colossus.  ;D
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 08:13:35 pm »

heh. For a second there I thought you were going to say that the snatcher, alive but in a lot of pain, flew over the bridge and landed at the feet of the colossus.  ;D

I was hoping he would fly past the furnace operator and into the furnace  ;D.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

I was hoping the snatcher would pop up next to the colossus.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »

I was hoping the snatcher would appear at ground zero of the battle between the troops and the Colossus.

Then attempt to snatch the baby of one of the fighters, only to be splattered.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 09:50:15 pm »

It's too bad flying creatures don't do any damage to other creatures even if they do hit.  Otherwise that could've had an entirely different outcome.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

I remember once in one of my old 2d forts, a kobold got whacked by a high level hammerdwarf so hard that he flew like 10 squares towards my entrance and slammed into a random dwarf, stunning him and knocking him flat on his ass. No damage.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 11:37:34 pm »

I had a guard muskoxen on a narrow path above a river kill 2 kobolds/goblins by kicking them off the edge into the river :)
Magma is overrated.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 01:40:28 am »

Well, we did ultimately fight the colossus in that courtyard, so the colossus and the dwarfs tromped all over the goblin's corpse in the process. But he was already long dead by then.

It would have been impossible for the goblin to fly all the way out, I put a right-angle turn in my fort at the courtyard to prevent invaders from having a clear line of fire from the outside. And the drawbridge was up anyway, which was part of the snatcher's doomedness - there was no way to get out of the fortress any more. :)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 03:22:03 am »

Wow, that's awesome... The snatchers on my maps always just run into a trap of some kind or get seen by a cat.

I deleted the babysnatcher tag, sieges are a much more sincere way for the goblins to tell me they love me. But thanks for the story :)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: [1] 2