Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: RogueLife (formely Spogue)  (Read 19220 times)

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
Re: Spogue (was RogueSpore)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 10:02:42 pm »

Considering that Python is renowned for its flexibility across the interwebs, I'd give it my vote.

I, however, know nothing of programming at all.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 10:34:41 pm »

I personally prefer Lua because it's more lightweight than Python and it's much easier to integrate Lua with C++ than Python with C++ but anyway I'll set up a voting above on your language preferences.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:49:00 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:27 pm »

That tile editor looks really nice. I've never combined two languages before, would you take offense if I studied that, Zemat?

I'd give my vote to either <Scripting Language Only> or <Compiled Language> plus <Scripting Language>. The scripting language bonus fits this sort of game perfectly!

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 11:02:58 pm »

That tile editor looks really nice. I've never combined two languages before, would you take offense if I studied that, Zemat?

I'd give my vote to either <Scripting Language Only> or <Compiled Language> plus <Scripting Language>. The scripting language bonus fits this sort of game perfectly!

Sure, you can examine the Lua script right away on the zip I put for download. If you want the c++ source code I'll upload it a little later. Although it has no license for the moment so, even if my code it's worthless, I would ask you not to modify the c++ code and sell it as yours :P

Oh, I forgot to mention that the init.lua file is the entry code for the rest of the program demo. Study it first so that you can understand the rest of the code.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:07:14 pm by Zemat »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 12:05:03 am »

One more vote for Python here. At least then I have the potential to help code as well  ;)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 12:18:40 am »

I have a lot of ideas. Some might be useful, others not so much. I was much more interested in Spore as a sim than as a content creation tool. I'll post them as I think of them.

For cell stage:
    The generally accepted method of evolution to multicellularity is the colonial theory, where groups of the same species of cells clump together for mutual benefit, eventually developing specialization in clumps. This could be done in the game by directing a whole population of your cells instead of just one. The physical traits such as jets, cillia, etc. could still be there, but they'd be cheaper and less important than the big tactics changes. It could also become much more of a fluid shift from cell to creature. It's quite a bit more complicated and I'd understand if people didn't want this, but I think it'd be kind of cool to go from single cell to colony of cells to organism.

As the species evolves, gaining tactics unlocks certain others for use. Some quick examples:

Cellular stage - Basic part groups seen in regular spore as well as:
  • Coat and Feed; a stationary tactic that takes advantage of objects the cells can move towards for stability to feed on passing materials. Unlocks Coat and Break Apart, Build Chamber, and Break Off

• Coat and Break Apart; the cell group gradually dissolves the surface it is on using a weak acid. When it is finished some of the cells disassociate and attach to another surface, while the rest die. Adds mild toxicity. Unlocks Cement.
    • Cement; Uses the minerals dissolved with CaBA to form concretions around the cell group, hardening it from environmental pressures.
    • Build Chamber; The cells naturally create larger encapsulations, providing a larger surface area and more food. The chamber grows as the cells within die, until it breaks apart. The cells then use the dead material for additional nourishment, in effect forming the first soil. Unlocks Concentrate Nourishment
      • Concentrate Nourishment; The cells pass some of the food inward to the chamber, nourishing the cells from the inside and allowing them to form a thicker, tougher wall.
    • Break Off; The cells form relatively thick mats, which flake off in the current to reproduce elsewhere.

Simple Organism Stage - Specialization arises, and primitive organs are formed:
    • Skin; Protects against environment to a greater extent than either a chamber or cementation.
    • Mouth; Breaks up large drifting clumps of food. Unlocks Stomach
      • Stomach; A chamber in which the organism allows acid to build up and break down foods ingested through the mouth.
    • Veins; Not filled with blood yet or anything. This is just a more advanced version of Concentrate Nourishment relying on capillary action, allowing the organism to maintain a larger, more robust body.
    • Nerves; Makes the organism react to stimuli, if it can. Requires at least Mouth or Skin to be useful. Unlocks Contract and Brain
      • Contract; Allows to organism to contract its whole body and move, somewhat. Unlocks Light Sense, Vibration Sense and Chemical Cues
        • Light/Vibration Sense; Makes the organism react intelligently to light/vibrations.
        • Chemical Cues; Makes the organism avoid hostile chemical changes (high/low acidity, salinity, etc.) and attempt to move towards food with Contract.
      • Brain; Allows the player to directly control the organism.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

MeshGearFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 01:40:56 am »

Hey, uh, bit of an idea here. What exactly will be your avatar at each stage in the game -- and for that matter, how many of Spore's stages will this cover?

I mean, in this things analogues to Spore's Creature and Cell stage, obviously you're still controlling one creature. Even in the tribal stage, that SHOULD still work, more or less -- you control one tribe member in a larger tribe.

I also do sort of like the idea of reproducing as a way of evolving-up. I think Spore did this in the cell stage? I'm not really sure how it was implemented there, but whatever.

Basically though, in something like this, one idea is that after mating, your offspring has a random number of random mutations and you either control them as soon as they're produced, or switch to them when your current creature/cell/thing dies.

I'm not sure if the idea is to quasi-accurately depict evolution in a single-character RPG type thing or to keep with Spore's find/select parts model.

Is anyone interested in doing brief, text-adventure-esque proof-of-concepts of their ideas or something?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:43:14 am by MeshGearFox »

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 03:00:19 am »

I'll try to do a proof of concept without graphics by the weekend in python (since it appears to be the winning lang in the poll).

We need to start small. So try to keep your suggestions simple for the moment. Try to think first how the game should look. How the creatures can be controlled and how they interact with the world in very very very simple terms. Forget about complex biology stuff for the time being.

I think a fortress mode (or Spore's tribe phase) like game would be more suited for an evolution game since evolution depends a lot on population survival rather than individual survival. I imagine a game where you must manage a small population that is evolving. You can select where to move your population and set tasks to be performed by individuals that should help the population as a whole to survive. But mutations and reproduction happen on their own and you can't directly control which traits will become dominant on your population so it's a combination of natural and artificial selection (ie. accidental or incidental deaths in your population) which drives your population evolution. You must also compete with other populations that evolve and compete for resources on your area and try to survive natural disasters that could wipe out your entire population therefore driving your species to extinction.

I would like to have a list of traits you think creatures could evolve and ways they could evolve them.

MeshGearFox, I think we should concentrate in doing a single stage game. Something which mixes both creature phase and tribal phase I suggest.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:07:05 am by Zemat »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 03:13:16 am »

I'll try to do a proof of concept without graphics by the weekend in python (since it appears to be the winning lang in the poll)

We need to start small. So try to keep your suggestions simple for the moment. Try to think first how the game should look. How the creatures can be controlled and how they interact with the world in very very very simple terms. Forget about complex biology stuff for the time being.

I think a fortress mode (or Spore's tribe phase) like game would be more suited for an evolution game since evolution depends a lot on population survival rather than individual survival. I imagine a game where you must manage a small population that is evolving. You can select where to move your population and set tasks to be performed by individuals that should help the population as a whole to survive. But mutations and reproduction happen on their own and you can't directly control which traits will become dominant on your population so it's a combination of natural and artificial selection (ie. accidental or incidental deaths in your population) which drives your population evolution. You must also compete with other populations that evolve and compete for resources on your area and try to survive natural disasters that could wipe out your entire population therefore driving your species to extinction.

Sounds good :) Certainly food for imagination.
What I'd like to see incorporated is the unpredictability of DF. From what I understand (though I haven't played it), one of the failings of spore is that it is still based on preconceived, human ideas. Most of the components are things that we know and identify with already. The shining moments of DF is when it breaks the mould of preconception and completely stuns you.

Completely violating the "small and simple" for a moment, it shouldn't be technically impossible to do a form of technological evolution analogous to biological.

Denisius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Erandia Wiki
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 04:51:43 am »

Greetings, all!

I really like this idea, and would like to offer free hosting of the source code/binary, as well as the website, forum and whatever else is needed.

Hopefully, this idea will develop into something interesting.
That's what I do. Break their kneecaps, then stab them in the head repeatedly.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 05:08:32 am »

Dammit I thought this thread was about rogue spear. Oh well I guess I need glasses.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 05:52:38 am »

We should absolutely add in fotosynthesis ( I'm not sure of the spelling in English, but you get the idea ). It's one of the most important pillars of the food chain, and it's not added in spore! Also, bacteria and viruses. And not all mutations should be positive.

Oh, I would like Python. That way, I can help.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:55:00 am by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 06:05:20 am »

Since I have no other creative input, I move you name it Sporgue and use a spork-shaped version of the spore galaxy logo.

Godspeed, gentlemen.  Godspeed.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 07:34:31 am »

Something like that?

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8