Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c]->[40d] save compatibility issues?  (Read 1274 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c]->[40d] save compatibility issues?
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:38:20 am »

I've started a new fort in 40c just a week or so ago; a bit later 40d was released and i copy/pasted my savegame over into the new folder. (every version of DF gets it's own folder :) )

It's the first time i try this; now... i've got some problems and questions.

The first 1 1/2 years, still in 40c, it rained 3 times. After going over to 40d, i've only had sunshine for 4 years straight! o_O I used the new tool to find this location, and it's supposed to have medium or maybe even high for rain.

I've had no new nobles arrive! Neither Baron, Hammerer or Dungeon Master, all of which i've been getting with the wave that put me over 80 dwarves in all of my fortresses so far.
It's been 2 years and 4 immigrant waves since i broke pop 80.

Last but not least: my civ appears to be at peace with both goblins and kobolds. Both send their thieves/snatchers and ambush parties, however. Why? This fort didn't have a siege yet, and with the "P" next to kobolds and goblins i'm not really sure if i should expect any?

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c]->[40d] save compatibility issues?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:14:12 pm »

Toady wrote in his dev log:

09/06/2008: Released Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d
09/06/2008: I don't think I'm going to manage to update the military structures without a save compatibility break, so I'm putting up a version now. All of the saves I've received (and any against 40d) will still be checked and used for bug-fixing, but they won't be usable in future versions. This will be the second time in two years that I've done this (the only other time was the addition of the Z-axis, if I'm remembering correctly). I imagine it's healthy -- I've got quite a list of desired changes that aren't possible without a compat break piling up, many of them otherwise trivial, and it'll be nice to handle them.

So, yeah, there are probably some compatibility issues between saves.  ;)

Cheers!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:18:30 pm »

My most recent 40c fortress also had several waves of immigrants over 80 before the nobles arrived; and kobolds and goblins attack even when at peace (they have for a long time).  So that's two out of three that aren't save compatibility problems.  I don't know about weather.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:35:34 pm »

Hello!

The quotation given by ERoberts is of course quite irrelevant for this case. The quote shows that 40c -> 40d should be the last transfer which will work, and 40d was actually released to be a save-compatible version.

Once the next version is released, everyone will have to restart from zero. But that is not related to 40d.

Deathworks