Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Toggle Options for CPU/FPS or Aesthetics (Read 1st post)  (Read 6405 times)

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Toad Preservation Society
Toggle Options for CPU/FPS or Aesthetics (Read 1st post)
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:29:01 am »

Update:  Suggestion to toggle (on/off) certain objects or aspects of the game for CPU/FPS reasons or aesthetics.

-Excessive content -- see below for specifics (ravensgrace)
-Blood -- killing things does or does not produce blood (Dolohov)
-Chunks -- keep bodies whole, don't produce severed arms and heads (Dolohov)
-Death -- only have permanent unconsciousness (Neonivek)
-Torture/World-Gen Torture (ravensgrace/Skizelo)
-Taunts -- semi-/mega-beast (Skizelo)
-Some of the language-vocabulary. (ravensgrace/Skizelo)

Update: Thanks to Toady's brilliant foresight and this link it appears that this suggestion isn't nearly as relevant for me, personally, but it may be relevant to others.  Feel free to contribute to the list!

Excessive Content: To be clear this does not mean removing blood, starvation, loss of limbs, or death.  The term, excessive, can obviously be interpreted a thousand different ways, and everyone has their own opinion.  To clarify what I mean when using it, here's my definition:  Anything clearly stated in the game that goes above and beyond simple descriptions, or isn't left up to the imagination.  For instance, "blood spatter" and "dwarf chunk" aren't deemed excessive, whereas "Urist is sprayed with brains and blood" is deemed excessive.

Original post (deprecated): I'd like to introduce DF to my 8 and 10 year olds, but I'd need an option that disables some and/or all of the adult content.  Of course, the setting could also be increased for those that wanted it.  So, the TOAD_RATING could be like the ESRB, but better. ;D

I know I'm probably in the minority with this suggestion, so derogatory comments shall be overlooked. ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:34:27 pm by ravensgrace »
Proud member of the Toad Preservation Society
The system you've always wanted is here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Init option: [TOAD_RATING]
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:42:07 am »

I don't know... Generally speaking there are two problems with this

1) Disabling some of the gore (Cutting off someone's finger) would require some heavy coding...

and

2) What 6-8 year old can honestly play this AND find it fun?

However I guess what you COULD do.. is get someone to make a Mod that changes everything into robots and blood into oil and guts into wires!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:45:37 am »

I'm trying to think of all the non-player foulness (always going to be able to give traders a magma shower and starve dwarfs). The world-gen torture, the semi-/megabeast taunts, some of the language-vocabulary. Blood? But this is a good suggestion.
And Neonivek: nerdy children. Incredibly nerdy children.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:55:08 am »

Unfortunately I think Spheres are hardcoded into the game...

So you can't change torchure into Bunnies... and you can't change pain into Butterflies.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:58:21 am »

1) Disabling some of the gore (Cutting off someone's finger) would require some heavy coding...

No heavy coding.  Cartoon characters lose their limbs all the time.  So, loss of limbs doesn't need to be changed.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 09:01:51 am »

So a peasant getting his arms torn off, throat ripped out, and lungs punctured isn't "adult content"? What in DF is, then?

If I can think of any "adult content" in DF, it's probably getting torn limb from limb and their body parts being strewn about.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:02:48 am »

I think Toad_Rating is less the answer than getting one of the modders to rewrite the races (to reduce their willingness to torture) and the response files for a PG rating.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:10:43 am »

True, but that doesn't prevent your glassmaker from going insane and throwing a stone chair at her infant son, crushing his head.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:19:52 am »

Changing the response files wouldn't change that?  I mean, for me at least, there is a huge difference between "crushing his skull" or "smashing his head in" and "hitting him in the head."  Whatever is left to the imagination is fine, because then it depends on the child and his/her environment.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:22:19 am »

How about "moved his head to a better place"?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 09:28:18 am »

No heavy coding.  Cartoon characters lose their limbs all the time.  So, loss of limbs doesn't need to be changed.

Cartoon characters harmlessly lose their limbs... And they immediately reattach it afterwords.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 09:50:27 am »

Cartoon characters harmlessly lose their limbs... And they immediately reattach it afterwords.

Most children have never seen a dismembered limb covered in blood and gore lying on the ground.  So, they can only relate it to what they know. ;)  For instance, stating that a dwarf is starving to death can only be related to that child's concept of starving.  "I want that cookie, daddy! Please?! I'm starving!"

Part of what's so awesome about ASCII games!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 09:57:37 am »

Interestingly... What could also be done is "Death" could be taken out and only Pernament unconsciousness could be put in.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:06:37 am »

Interestingly... What could also be done is "Death" could be taken out and only Pernament unconsciousness could be put in.

What a great idea.

*begins ignoring a troll until it starves into permanent unconsciousness*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 10:10:15 am »

Most children have never seen a dismembered limb covered in blood and gore lying on the ground.  So, they can only relate it to what they know. ;)  For instance, stating that a dwarf is starving to death can only be related to that child's concept of starving.  "I want that cookie, daddy! Please?! I'm starving!"

Part of what's so awesome about ASCII games!

I would hope that ANY child old enough to play a game like Dwarf Fortress (certainly someone 8-10 years old) would understand that starving to death and actually dying from it, is slightly different from being hungry.

Also, in response to something you said earlier: No, changing the response text regarding the kid's head being smashed in wouldn't necessarily change much when it's broken, bleeding, and on the floor anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5