Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Toggle Options for CPU/FPS or Aesthetics (Read 1st post)  (Read 6392 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Init option: [TOAD_RATING]
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 08:00:49 pm »

As long as it's about making a mod, by all means do it! All arguments vanish then. But burdening the vanilla game with it would be a bad precedent.

Agreed! If you want to go out and mod the game to take out as many "adult elements" as you can, then go right ahead. But burdening the original game would take Toady a whole lot longer than some of you think it would to code, and it takes time away from other things that he could be doing, like improving the actual game with new features, instead of limiting and taking away those very same features. So if you want to go and edit it, go right on and do it, but you won't find me out there doing it.

Oh, and by the way...
Or, he would simply have to disable or replace word groups [A-E] of [A-Z] with [AA-EE] in the words array.  Please don't presume to know so much about Toady's code, unless you do, and in that case: Share! ;D

Yeah, this might just be editing the language, but have you ever even looked at the language files? It is a whole lot harder than it seems that it would to edit the language files. He also would need to go in and edit the hardcoded base of the language system itself, so that when the option was on, it would stop looking for the deleted words for names. Plus, everything that he does has to be compatible with older mods unless it is for a very good reason. I can call to mind quite a few people who would be very annoyed if their mods didn't work because of some change that they deemed completely idiotic.

P.S. If someone did know more about Toady's source code, the only way that they would know would be if they had hacked into the game. Therefore, they wouldn't be telling you, as Toady has expressively asked people not to.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Toad Preservation Society
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 08:38:41 pm »

Original post updated.  Thanks to Toady's brilliant foresight and this link it appears that this topic is no longer relevant for me, but it may be relevant to others.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:56:10 am by ravensgrace »
Proud member of the Toad Preservation Society
The system you've always wanted is here.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 11:11:51 pm »

Actually, I lost my father when I was about 10½, and I can assure you that the concept of death is still too abstract at that age, but please don't let that stop you from hoping.
I can assure you that experiences are different for every individual, and that your example is not always applicable in all situations.

Also, I apologize, this post is useless. Carry on, internets.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2008, 07:47:23 am »

Guys, seriously, the guy just made a suggestion. I don't know if it would be feasible to implement nor if DF is a good game for children anyway, but I can see where he is coming from and don't see where he is "whining".

And I should stop acting like a nanny and constantly jump into threads to ask people to be nice, huh? Hm, maybe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 09:45:13 am »

Guys, seriously, the guy just made a suggestion. I don't know if it would be feasible to implement nor if DF is a good game for children anyway, but I can see where he is coming from and don't see where he is "whining".

And I should stop acting like a nanny and constantly jump into threads to ask people to be nice, huh? Hm, maybe.

Well it is either you acting like a nanny... or Toady comming in with the Ban Hammer

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 09:45:34 am »

I can assure you that experiences are different for every individual, and that your example is not always applicable in all situations.

Interesting theory, but false.  Which is fortunate for everyone, because at least one shared experience is called a classroom.  Where children are exposed to the same stimuli and develop the same responses to that experience almost every time.  (Do notice that I left room for exceptions.)  Therefore, I can assure you that experiences aren't different for every individual, and that your example isn't applicable in all situations.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 09:56:16 am »

I also think this was in some part a bad example for this community. I mean the guy or girl made a valid request. I don't think its in any way okay to get aggressive, because you want toady to do something else instead. Its just a valid improvement suggestion than any else. And no, its not "limiting the game", its actually expanding the games possible audience, if 1 or 2 switches allows raw modders to make a version that some parents have less problems to let their offspring play with it. And yes I can only guess but coding 2 init options one turning off blood and the other seperated limbs would not take much more than 1 or 2 hours work. Yes you can miserly call, that are 2 hours wasted not gone into my [pet feature]... but hell. I mean I think it shows a nice paradox, Toady not wanting to open source, because he doesn't want to transfrom from a coder to some coding-manager. Which would quite certainly happen with a project of this popularity. On the other hand, we have now 1 coder, and a whole wood full of self claimed managers wanting to coordinate him, to shield of unnecessary work, to pinpoint to the "right work". The situation is almost approaching to the style of Hewlett Packard.

With or without kids-mod, there are sure many, many, many worse games out there to have your kid play with. I don't think DF violence is all that enourmous.  It sure never gonna be a "teletubby"-compatible game, as death is a part of it. But in which games today isn't death an integral part? Where you shoot other things down? Where you main character "looses a life"?...

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2008, 12:34:32 pm »

Interesting theory, but false.  Which is fortunate for everyone, because at least one shared experience is called a classroom.  Where children are exposed to the same stimuli and develop the same responses to that experience almost every time.  (Do notice that I left room for exceptions.)  Therefore, I can assure you that experiences aren't different for every individual, and that your example isn't applicable in all situations.

Ok, I'm just sitting here, lurkin' the boards like usual, and then I read that statement. We have a lot of non-native english speakers on this board, and there's no reason to snipe someone about semantics, that's just making an ass of yourself. what I believe he means, is most people (children included) have varying perceptions or reactions based on the same experience.
IE people react differently to the same stimulus(such as patriarchal death).
Which is true.

Now, I don't care what your point is or isn't, but don't just go around acting all high and mighty because you can manipulate sentences.

tldr;
I agree with dreiche. Don't be a dick. Not anyone in paticular, but everyone.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

Using someone's own words to help convey understanding is hardly acting high and mighty, and is one of the foundations of teaching.  I was correcting a logical fallacy in his statement, not sniping at his semantics.  His comment was simply nitpicking, which is exactly what you're doing.

In fact, another instance where his statement would fail is evolution.

I realize that it can take time to eventually understand that text on a screen only has the tone of voice given to it by the reader, so I apologize if any of my words sound harsh.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:30:30 pm by ravensgrace »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 01:48:49 pm »

From the arrogant and condescending voice, the return to the thread after claiming you found your solution, the marginal and obviously edgy suggestion, the universally combative language, and the only recently registered account :

I label thee a smurf.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 02:21:10 pm »

1. See previous post.

2. Yes, I found my solution and still returned to defend myself, especially because I'm new.

3. I plan to return and update my progress often for those that are interested.

4. Your opinions are always welcome here.  (Oh noes, I've been marginalized.)

5. What does that have to do with anything?  Higher post counts (generally) mean time spent not playing, and I played long before registering to discuss a game I enjoy.

6. Oh noes, I've been labeled!

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 02:35:20 pm »

Now that we have that out of the way.

Does anyone have any specific changes they'd like to see in a mod release?  At this point, I'm still learning, but I'll keep a list in the original post.  I highly doubt I'll release the one I make for my own children, as I'll probably add personal details just for them, but I'm open to releasing one for the general community.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "You know, for kids." (was: Init option: [TOAD_RATING])
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 02:44:55 pm »

I honestly don't feel that there is any content in this game too rough for a child capable of enjoying the game.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2008, 02:45:12 pm »

Dwarf fortress: Adult game.

Elf forest retreat: Kid game.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2008, 03:14:34 pm »

The best place to discuss a mod is in the subforum DF modding
If you want to discuss modding Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress, do it here.

There you can get help (which you seem to need in more ways than one) as well as not be subject to continuous harassment from other posters that find you annoying.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5