Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)  (Read 59924 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2008, 03:57:37 pm »

The next turn should be here in less than a day.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2008, 08:55:54 am »

The next turn needs to be here be here in less than a day.

Fixed.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2008, 02:18:17 pm »

Apologies, guys.  I'm actually holding this one up trying to get the population numbers calculated for the last few turns (how the hell did we end up with eleven players?!).  Once that's ready, Aq will be able to post the turn (which he's already worked out).

If I'm lucky, I'll have something done by tonight.   :'(
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2008, 02:31:07 pm »

I hope you can give population numbers for each territory, because I'm not quite sure what I have where.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

Thats what it used to be. But we're in no rush, just im eagerly waiting for this. Hmm, maybe you should publish (with Faulkners permission ofc) this forum game or something at somepoint... in the far future...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2008, 05:29:46 pm »

Technically a1s and Sir Edmund still need to take turns as well.  Oh yeah, and me.  PMs will be going out shortly, though Sir Edmund said he would probably have to drop.

A word of admittance, I haven't worked on this as much as I could have, and it won't be done in the next 6 hours or such, but it will be done tomorrow.  I've actually got other things I'm supposed to be doing (more university stuff), but now I figure that I may as well work on the writing that other people care about.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2008, 10:23:37 pm »

Alright, then.  For all to see, we have the starting map and first turn done (second turn map will come when Aq has the turn published so I know where to put numbers).

Turn 0 (start of play)
Turn 1

A quick key: Blue numbers are Natural Food values (based on the terrain) available to anyone who settles there.  Red numbers are species-specific bonuses from either adaptation to that terrain type (e.g. Kadesh River Adaptation from being amphibious) or increased/nonstandard diet (e.g. Umgran digestion, Yrb detritivorousness, Plantwe photosynthesis).  Green numbers are bonuses to food from Farming.  These distinctions will become more important once I have full warfare/colonisation rules worked out, but basically each unit of Food is equivalent to settleable land.  Specially adapted creatures can survive in niches even if they are outcompeted for Terrain food and creatures that can farm well can settle land that more powerful races might not be able to tame.

White numbers are population values.  We see a return of the population factors for this to represent differences in size and power.  Species values are listed below.

Nahuatl - 0.5
Chibor - 10
Umgran - 0.1
Shrike - 1
Yrb - 1
Lanlar - 0.5
Jhiar'd - 4
Ammp - 1
Ahkarii - 0.5
Plantwe - 0.1
Kadesh - 1

In a nutshell, a single Plantwe has the fighting power of ten Kadesh, as well as counting for ten Kadesh worshippers as far as a deity is concerned and requires ten times as much effective food and land to support.  [If this seems odd, a1s, I used a blend of Audrey II and an Ent as my brief for them, sorry.]  A single Plantwe can take on 100 Chibor as a fair fight, numbers-wise, but a single Shrike is as important to a deity as four Jhiar'd.

Edit:  Oh, and another thing.  When multiple species inhabit a region, unless there is a peace amongst them or the two are both herbivores, it shall be assumed that they are preying on each other.  Both the Natural Food and Predator rating for that hex will increase by 1 for all parties part of that food chain.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:27:26 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2008, 11:57:34 pm »

Status bump.  Warfare will be treated separately once Iituem gives me or handles his altered combat system.  Obviously, still waiting for a1s, Edmund, and me (I'll be working on my turn right now).

Other than that, I've run all the random numbers for people's actions, but I'd like to get a comment on this before I commit to the narratives/results.  I expect that constantly improving abilities will require a constantly changing scale to keep things fair and playable for some without guaranteeing success for others.  Hopefully, this will be refined every turn as we move closer to a perfect scale.  To shack this up, I expanded the RNG from -50 to 70, with new scale-
>110 Great; 110>60 Good; 60>20 Fair; 20>-20 Middling; -20>-40 Bad; -40> Disaster
However, now having a chance to try this, I'm getting an awful lot of Middling and Fair results.  This is party just luck (the RNG god is displeased with me), but it's worth mentioning to get some feedback.

Anyway, with Iituem's terrific help, I'm burning through this quicker than I thought I would.  Provided a1s at least gets back in touch, the turn will be finished within the day.  A few further points of clarification-

NonAnon - To what purpose are you trying to domesticate the Quetza?  Defense, Agriculture(Meat), Assistance, or something else?

Duke - What are you hoping to accomplish experimenting with the creatures?  I mostly just made them for flavor, but I was planning to award general Civil EP for successfully messing with new resources.

Euchre, Asheron - How did you want to spend your PP?  I assume Nevon spends it all on the lava irrigation thing, and Euchre 1 PP to each action.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:03:20 am by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2008, 12:58:19 am »

Yeah, 1 pp for each action is fine for now, since I don't have much to work with.  Next turn, I'll probably put more effort into controlling the hurricane if I'm not very successful.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2008, 01:09:24 am »

NonAnon - To what purpose are you trying to domesticate the Quetza?  Defense, Agriculture(Meat), Assistance, or something else?

Personal transport, the Nahuantl aren't fond of walking long distances.  Also, their eating abilities have some combat application.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 27, 2008, 01:51:29 am »

Alright, here's my turn at last.  Results coming along, done soon, yadda yadda.

The waters moved with more speed than any Chief had known.  The flows shifted to different lands, and left lands dry that never had been.  The Herd lived more out of the water now, exposed to the dangers of the land and sky.

Chief !Gaaru's attention was drawn again from the waters to the great Seer Glarg!gha, staring down at him from his great stance.  All about him had grown unnatural.  The Seer had grown infamous before !Gaaru's spawning emerged, living far longer than any Kadesh in memory.  His body twisted and grew, now twice as long as it should be, and sprouted boils and knots that made him another creature in all voice.  For generations, Glarg!gha had told all who would listen of the visions he received from the Great Form, whatever madness it was that had spread through the Seers.  The muscles that writhed and strained with upon his skin were proof enough that something held influence on his body, and his council and wisdom had never proved wrong.  But this new vision !Gaaru could not abide.

"Whatever guidance you may have, to dive into the very nests of such beasts will only bring death.  How many have the Blur already slain?  How many do you wish to throw to them in gift?"

The lumpen mass that had been Glarg!gha's face stared long at the Chief.  "How many will the Blur slay again?  How long have they tormented us?  How long will it continue?"

"You speak of madness.  The Blur are.  We defend ourselves, but to go their very lairs to do so?  What purpose could it serve?"

"Change.  What are our few moments before such power?  The world is not whole, it is not unmoving.  Nor are we, or the Blur, or the Burrowers, or anything else.  The Blur may be a part of the world, but that can be changed as much as anything else."

!Gaaru could feel the Seer's voice burn in his mind.  He knew it was folly to argue with the guidance.  If he did not lead the attack, as inconceivable an idea as it was, another Chief would.  And for all his urge to preserve himself and the Herd, he could not deny the beauty of ridding themselves of the Blur, of the great dream of triumph over the world...

Spoiler: EP Allotment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2008, 05:09:16 am »

Asheron - How did you want to spend your PP?  I assume Nevon spends it all on the lava irrigation thing

Yup.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:07 am »

hmm, 40 Jhiar'd to one plantwe... That puts it into perspective...

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2008, 07:45:35 am »

hmm, 40 Jhiar'd to one plantwe... That puts it into perspective...
I wonder how much that would change if said Jhiar'd would be riding lava lizard mounts? ^^

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2008, 12:46:01 pm »

I wonder how much that would change if said Jhiar'd would be riding lava lizard mounts? ^^

A few very crotch-less Jhiar'd against some very on fire Plantwe.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26