Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)  (Read 59883 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals, Need Players)
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2008, 09:09:13 am »

Name: Nevon
Spheres: Lava, curiousity and invention.
Form: Typically is pictured as a humanoid woman with scales, a tail, a dragon head and claws.

Rituals: Nevon requires blood sacrifices of the spoils of hunting and some sort of a ritual where young believers need to pass a test of maturity.
In exchange, believers of Nevon are promised
the ownership and mastery of her fire and earth.

Background: In the beginning, the universe was split in two perfect halves. One of them was filled with water, the other with fire.
Constantly, water and fire would evaporate and douse eachother in a constant battle.
After eras, the energy freed by this caused a large rift to form between the two halfs. The water and fire around the edge of this rift became solid, and formed two eggs. On the fire side, the egg of Nevon formed. On the side of water, the egg of Venon, his twin brother/sister, formed.
After they hatched, Nevon and Venon crafted the earth by making fire and water solid and then forming it like clay.
Then, Nevon created life.
Venon, who was jealous of his brother's/sister's feat, decided to flood the other's work. A battle between the two began.
After years of tiresome fighting, they decided to split up what was made to prevent any further conflict. Venon would own everything above what Nevon had made, and Nevon would own everything below.
And so, earth was placed between the two gods. Any now and then, both gods would unleash some of their power to keep the earth alive ( rain from Venon's side, and lava from Nevon's side ).

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2008, 09:58:59 am »

Damn, when is there going to be a lightning-based deity?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2008, 02:23:36 pm »

Name: Umgran

Description: Umgran look more akin to walking rocks, or strange turtles than anything else. They have four stubby legs that stick out from either side, and a small arrow-like head that protrudes only slightly from it’s body. If you were to walk by one, you might mistake it for a rock, because in a way,  an Umgran’s body is similar to a rock in a way. Though obviously reptilian, an Umgran does not grow it’s “scales” or “shell” itself, but rather breaks down rocks and the like that it eats, and deposits it as a kind of natural armor. They are quite large, but move very slowly and reproduce even slower. When a female reaches maturity, she is unable to make an egg until she reaches a certain mass, then she uses all of the latent minerals in her body to form the egg, and the nutrients held within. After the egg is laid and fertilized, it looks very similar to a rock, and is about as hard to destroy. Because the female used all of her accumulated mass to form the egg, she is as soft as she was at birth, and fairly defenseless until she can regain it all. Because of this, most females only lay 2-3 eggs in their 70 year lifetime, and usually don’t survive past the first unless they are lucky. Umgran tend to live in places with lots of rocks, as it is the best way for them to obtain a protective shell.

Breeding Habits: Lay 1 egg, Adult at 35, Max age 70, Females usually die to predators after laying the egg. Can only give birth again once they have reached “critical mass” for minerals and nutrients again.

Biological Evolutions: (65 EP):

Digestive System- 20 (30 EP):
The Umgran digestive system consists of a stomach with incredibly powerful acids, and a system of absorption that leaves little to no waste. Umgran will eat ANYTHING, meat, plants, carrion, rocks, whatever they can get a hold of.

“Armor”- 15 (20 EP):
Umgran are prone to eating rocks and other normally inedible substances. These precipitate to the outside of their body, and form a protective shell. Because the shell is based off what each individual Umgran eats, all the shells appear different and have different hardnesses.

Spitting- 10 (10 EP):
Umgran have been slowly developing a muscular organ near their heads that connects directly to their digestive tract. This muscle allows them to spray their volatile stomach acids a few feet.

Legs- 5 (5 EP):
An Umgran’s legs, though short and stubby, end in a semi-prehensile foot that has three inch-long claws at the end of it. They are mostly useless, but can be effective in grasping small things and bringing them closer to the mouth.

Civil Traits (5 EP):

Language- 5 (5 EP):
Umgran communicate with one-another with low, guttural hums. They don’t travel very far, and can be hard to detect for other creatures, or even for the Umgran themselves, which need to be fairly close to adequately communicate.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2008, 04:35:03 pm »

For fun and convenience:

Maptasm!

Also, it looks like there's a three-way meeting for the Lanlar, Ammp and Yrb coming up.  Whether or not this will actually take the form of a conflict will have to be seen, given that one is a two-headed water-pig, one is a psionic hawkman and one is a, uh, mould.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2008, 04:58:31 pm »

The Lanlar are not hawkmen... They are hawks :)
And maybe I should move them downwards towards the EF 22/23 region?
Not sure if a meeting between 3 races, with me in the middle, would be a good start...

Edit:
Besides.. I am in the mountains and forests, not the river/lake area...
I request a change of starting position, unless I am supposed to have a 100% overlap with the Ammp. Then again... They don't seem as hostile or dangerous as the Yrb... or some of the other species... :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:03:27 pm by Draigh »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2008, 05:00:57 pm »

Give me some of the forests around G23, and probably the fungus area there. Not sure what this fungus is exactly, except that some of it is Yrb.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2008, 05:19:20 pm »

Not sure which coords you wanted, Chibor.

Also, this isn't the official map.  I'm just trying to save Aq a bit of time by getting a basic one up and for the sake of seeing where everything is distributed (also fixed my boop-up on the Lanlar positioning, whoops).

Edit:  Also, hostile?  =P  At this stage, we're mats of immobile flora!  The worst we can do is make you feel like you don't want to eat us.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:21:20 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2008, 05:29:53 pm »

Oh, Aquizzer heres a thought. When this game gets more and more advanced (i.e we start to colonise other lands) will it result in just a bigger hex based situation? i.e that island will become one hex in a larger world?

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 05:33:58 pm »

I'm interested in seeing what happens when the plants meet the rocks... ' >.>

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2008, 05:40:50 pm »

I'm interested in seeing what happens when the plants meet the rocks... ' >.>

Animals: Gah! Rock-people! We can't do ANTHING!
 Rock-people: Gwahaha!
 Mold-people: Hullo!
 Rock-people: Gah! Get it off! GET IT OFF!
 Animals: Wait, so that mold we all overlooked was the one species that could take them down? Daym.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2008, 05:45:56 pm »

Well... We could also just pee against them... Its not like they are fast runners..
And the lanlar are airborn, so even less trouble there. Could always mindfuck them though... ;)

As for the fungi...
I dont like fungi that try to mindmanipulate my psychic birds :)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2008, 05:51:16 pm »

Iituem, that's perfect. As long as that fungus stuff won't kill my guys. Like I said, we don't know what the non-yrb fungus is.

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 06:02:19 pm »

Then again... my species doesn't think much beyond...

"Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat BREED! Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat BREED AGAIN! Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat DIE!"

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2008, 07:51:16 pm »

I plan to do more this time around, rather than just sit around in my starting hexes and wait for things to happen.

Also, Aqizzar, can you please clarify about how domestication and farming will work when we can come up with creatures?  I want to get some defenses against all these psychic threats popping up on the radar.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2008, 10:15:20 pm »

Alright alright.  Man what was I thinking?  Okay, I'll be posting questions and comments here for the moment, please respond when you can, I'll be updating this over the next hour or so as I give everyone's species a proper read-through and format the species post.  I'll probably be out of contact again tomorrow as what remains of Hurricane Ike knocks out my power/connectivity, but if all goes well, and I don't flake out playing Spore, we can probably get started Sunday.

For future reference to all, to avoid confusion, I'll be writing abilities like-
Name (Level): Total EP
Formatting is great for my convenience, so- Farming 15: 20EP
Again, I'd like to remind everyone that the scale is 1-50, so anything below 10 is pretty useless.  For my bookkeeping convenience, it'd be nice if every ability had a five point minimum, to cut down on bloat.  I'm not mandating or penalizing, just a request for your GM's sake.  Nilocy and NonAnon, I'm looking at you.

Domestication is a multipart system.  An actual Domestication (or Farming) ability determines how good you are at getting new species.  Domesticated species count towards use-specific abilities (Domestication(Agriculture), Domestication(Warfare), etc. as you like, or subsumed into other abilities like Farming for plants).  How well you do responding to domestication Turn Events gives bonus points to specific areas.  As for making up species, it's just whatever fluff you want in your posts/description, the score is what matters.  I'm might develop this more later, since I plan for the Kadesh to be big on domesticating.

Nilocy - You've got 1 point left over, but I haven't charged for your breeding.  Probably 15-20 EP, which you don't have.  Some abilities could probably be cut out or combined (like the two sets of claws), but the Jhiar'd as so bulked out I don't know where to start.  Repost or PM me with a design decision.

Iituem - Thank you so damn much.  I'll be moving a couple people, but this is much appreciated.  The Yrb are awesome, and your abilities are cool, but a lot of them will need more points to be as useful as you've described.  In particular, one point in detrivoreous ain't saving you from no poisons.

Draigh - You'll get E-23/25 with some mountain and forest.  That cool?  Your hawks are good for now, but you too, remember the ability scale - one point in a bunch of abilities ain't going nowhere.  Your math or mine was wrong, but you used 60 points, so you have 5 points left over (another 5 went to breeding).

Sir Edmund - Looks great, no problems.  Your pigs scare the hell out of me.

Tuv - Umgran are just fine.  Props for formatting (OCD FTW).

Duke 2.0 - The Shrike are still awesome.  The Kadesh fear the Electric Gorillafish.  From your repost, am I to understand that you're giving up on the far south colony?  I took a stab at Litter Size:5 Breeding Age:1 Death Age:10 for 10EP - breed fast, die young.  Your call of course.

NonAnonymous - I'm calling your breeding rate 15EP, which would put you 15 points overbudget.  If you want to adjust in some way that would be fine, or you can just start 15 points in the hole.

penguinofhonor - The fungus is kind of like the stuff from Alpha Centauri, but not as hostile.  It's a passable food source and makes weird things happen (like Yrb).  I'm calling your breeding ability as described Level 25 (so 45EP), that gives you another 15 points to spend.  For now, I'm considering this crazy breeding ability good for rapidly recovering from losses, and since they're so small, I'll be calculating growth in batches of ~100.

Shikogan - Species sounds cool, but for my sake, could you repost, moving the descriptions into an abilities list, instead of the big paragraphs?  I'll do it myself if needed, but I'd appreciate the help.  The psychic powers are definitely going to need a lot more points to do much of anything.

And one last note to everyone.  Not to be a dick, but it's ACK-i-zar.  I made a title for just this reason.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:22:39 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26