Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)  (Read 59920 times)

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2008, 04:13:22 pm »

Well, no worries god mam, we'll take care of these pesky lizard bugs. They'll never get passed our gigantic wall... hee hee :D

Species: Nahuantl (Plural:Nahuantl Adjective: Nahuantl)

Biological Abilities:

Claws 5: 5 EP
Nahuantl claws are adapted to helping them climb, but are not particularly useful in combat.

Climbing 10: 10 EP
Nahuantl are excellent climbers, and spend almost all of their lives in the trees.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2008, 05:30:23 pm »

They'd better make that wall smooth then... maybe grease it with pig fat.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2008, 05:59:53 pm »

So who wants to be my god? We might want to PM in case your plans conflict with some of my more important plans. We'll attribute your extra knowledge to your godliness.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2008, 10:23:38 pm »

Nilocy - I'm sure your eight foot dirt berm is quite imposing.  Provided you roll well for it.

Since I'm sure you're all wondering, here's an update my current status.  Now that I've finally got a handle on Iituem's population calculator, I can run numbers and give population stats.  I haven't entirely figured out the combat system, but now that I know how the file works that shouldn't take long.

My list of things to do looks likes this - Figure up population numbers (at least a couple hours), write my own turn (hour or so), update List Post for point expenditures (hour or two), figure up combat results for the lizard/bug war (no idea, probably long), figure out diplomacy results (ditto), write 14 turn responses (call it as many hours), then finally double check my writing and put everything in order, so I've got more than a full day of work racked up on this game.

The rub is, I need to read a textbook on Native American civil rights by Monday, write a four page essay on the Ottoman empire by Wednesday, and master Spanish preterit by Friday, plus my usual job hours, and y'know, sleep.  All of which seriously cuts into my allotment of ass-scratching (gotta play DF some time).

I'll try to get at least some of this done right now and tomorrow, but as much as I hate to say it, if the turn isn't up by Sunday afternoon, it's definitely going to be later in the week.  Don't worry, I'm not giving up or abandoning this, just letting you all know that for the foreseeable future, turns are going to be a bit slow paced.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Speaking of which, besides me, the remainders are a1s, Edmund, and Euchre.  Absolutely no hurry, just bookkeeping.

Couple of things have crossed my mind.  Since I can't think of a good system for success rolls, I came up with results that felt fair and interesting by way of that indecipherable GM intuition.  I figure, as long as I use the same system for everyone each turn, the actual system doesn't matter too much.  The math will stay the same (though I think I added some things wrong, like breeding), but I'll probably come up with a different die size and scale each turn, to account for point spread.  Hopefully, a good standard will coalesce.

Second thing, after discussing it with Iituem, I realized that without some amount of abilities to protect a species from the natural world, it's quite easy to go extinct.  For those who can't decipher the spreadsheet, the four main axes are Breeding, Region Food (with bonuses), Defenses (remember the divisor for developed tools), and Civil bonuses like shelter and organization.  Put simply, you need to be really good in one or pretty good in at least two, or you'll see your populations decline.  It'd be pretty hard to not do that, so I don't think anyone is in danger, but I haven't run everybody yet.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:28:54 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2008, 10:59:07 pm »

What can I say?  Nature selects against the weak.

Seriously, if you've spent 70EP without somehow investing in breeding, defences or civic advancement enough to overcome natural threats and carve out a niche, you probably don't deserve to survive.  (I also am not sure how you can manage that, but I suppose if you created a species that invested 70EP in Accountancy and nothing else, that might work.)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2008, 05:04:14 am »

The Chosen One is about to spit out his jalepeno and light the fire, when a gust of air throws him into the atmosphere.

He sees Euchre, the monkey god, sitting on a cloud.  The Chosen One proceeds to thank Euchre for extending his life.  Euchre merely nods, and motions towards a hurricane in the distance.  The Chosen One can see strange creatures entering and leaving the hurricane.  Euchre indicates his desire to possess the hurricane.  While difficult for the Chosen One to comprehend, he eventually realizes the need to direct people to pray for this.

Then, the Chosen One asks a rather foolish question.  He says (via guestures):

"Most illustrious simian fire spirit, where is your fire?"

Euchre gets upset.  >:(
He guestures: "I'm not a fire spirit!  Now, I shall show you what power I possess!"
Euchre points at the Chosen One, and shoots lightning out of his hands!  The Chosen One feels great pain, but is otherwise unhurt.

Euchre calms down, and guestures: "That was but a warning.  I chose your race due to it's shock ability.  Now, help me obtain that hurricane, and become a greater prophet than before!  In exchange, I shall teach you a new martial art so you can fight better.  It shall be called, Monkey Fu!"

Euchre brings his Chosen One back to the surface of the planet, and starts showing Monkey Fu, which the Chosen One imitates.

The Chosen One instructs his followers to start praying for Euchre to possess the hurricane, and teaches Monkey Fu.  While the Chosen One sleeps, Euchre appears in his dreams and further instructs the Chosen One in Monkey Fu.

Actions:

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2008, 06:35:38 am »

Well, no worries god mam, we'll take care of these pesky lizard bugs. They'll never get passed our gigantic wall... hee hee :D

Biological Abilities:

Nahuantl claws are adapted to helping them climb, but are not particularly useful in combat.

Nahuantl are excellent climbers, and spend almost all of their lives in the trees.

Sunovabitch. Forgot abotu that... ah well, i'll still make it :D

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2008, 10:02:58 am »

Biological Abilities:

I know! Being a goddess of lava, I could make a large lava trench in front of your wall. Extra crispy!

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2008, 02:26:50 pm »

Biological Abilities:

I know! Being a goddess of lava, I could make a large lava trench in front of your wall. Extra crispy!

Well, as god of technology, I'll teach the lizards a new trick:

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2008, 03:10:43 pm »

Biological Abilities:

Doesn't wood burn? And meh. I'm doing this because the Jhiar'd HATE mountains and will do anything in their power to stop those _things_ coming down from there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2008, 10:30:57 pm »

Biological Abilities:

Doesn't wood burn? And meh. I'm doing this because the Jhiar'd HATE mountains and will do anything in their power to stop those _things_ coming down from there.

Just get something good from them, like nationally-mandated worship or something.  Personally, I'm focusing on obtaining the hurricane worshipers as my own.  The holy war will just have to wait.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2008, 10:39:38 pm »

EuchreJack, your holy war shall come!

How dare another race think some diety would choose them over the Shrike based off of shock powers! They don't even communicate with electricity!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2008, 11:37:24 pm »

Because monkeys don't like water, and hence they wouldn't care much for fish?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

That's an intimidating quote pyramid you guys are building.  Bear in mind that actions are abstracted quite a bit, but I might add modifiers for doing wacky/cool things in the forum.  Just because I can.

Okay, so I've updated the list post with everyone's expenditures.  I kind of flaked out today, but I got that much done and some setup for the results.  Unfortunately, that means I've still got all my university work to do, so Turn 1 results are going to be delayed until later this week, possibly as far as Friday night.  I promise I'm not losing interest or steam.  I've actually woken up dreaming about this game.  I've just got a lot on my plate for the next few days.

I've got some things that might speed my work along, but I have to scratch out diplomacy rules, and think of a way to integrate results of actions with Iituem's combat math.  Then do all the writing.

I'll append my own turn here a bit later, coming up with it now.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2008, 04:02:54 pm »

*watches for the next turn*
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26