Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)  (Read 59900 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:26 am »

Woo! Turn time! Although it'll be hard to forget those colonies. Since my previous roles really really really depended on them, i had a religion and all such... And tbh its annoying that i've lost all that work tbh, we had like 4 wars over those colonies... and i was going to go to war with the other two! I'm no where near the other creatures, just Non and A1s, so it really wouldn't matter if we had extra colonies in this section, cause we'd (I'd) be fighting everyone and most likely be too tied up to do anything else about it. What does everyone else think? I'll be happy to give them up so long as everyone agrees that i shouldn't have my old ones still in contact.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2008, 05:56:22 am »

Alright you'll get the magma vent colony back.  Bear in mind that there's not many bugs actually living there, and they need support from the rest of your civilization since there's no food.  I'll update it with the map on the turn change.  a1s, if you want your fifth space back I'll allow that too.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2008, 07:21:04 am »

The Shrike were different. There was the faint sense that they should be in the water, but their limbs would not carry them as well. As fluidly as they moved through the water in the past they were doing now on the land. Creatures fell to their hunts, and they danced during thunderstorms. The skies were warming, making their survival much easier.

They were also taking interest in new food sources, particularly the reeds that grew on the banks of this river. The plant itself was somewhat bitter, but it's seeds were okay to eat. The shrike still considered this a hunt, and started to eat more of it.

The long hunters found strange surroundings. To the north was scrublands, between the plains and the deserts. Many strange animals hunt there. Along the border was a strange fungus forest, which the Shrike knew was slightly odd. They still ate some, just becase food is scarse.

To the west was some rocky mountains. They were not particularly tall, but they had a lot of sharp boulders. They were confused at the heat from some of the rocks, but left it alone. They detected nothing with their hunters organ.

To the South and East were the banks of the river and the small lake it fed into. The far sides were sheer cliffs, which would be problematic for the Shrike. They were surrounded by hostile features and not much to hunt.
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:08:08 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2008, 08:33:31 am »

Cool rain spattered down upon the forest, dripping through the thick canopy as heavy droplets to crash upon the leaf-strewn floor.  Nestled amongst the leaves, hidden by them in places, mats of dull cream fungus lay digesting the fallen leaf matter over a period of hours.  Small furry creatures scuttered along the floor, occasionally picking up a fallen nut or berry and munching on it before scurrying onwards in search of more food.  The everpresent chatter of insects filled the ears of the creatures, though they were long since used to the noise.  A deep, wooden smell permeated the forest, that thick and yet not unpleasant scent of casual rot that had a *Plantwe* been present might well have been described as *loamReturn*.

All this could be witnessed by any who ventured here, but amidst this arboreal paradise ran a stream of silent thought, party only to the one who thought it.  Raindrops splattered upon the fungal mats.

Code: [Select]
[Object~Touch.Motion]
[Object.Small++++]
[Object.Small++++.Temp-]
Define:[Touch.Motion.Temp-]
[Wet]
Define:[Small++++.Wet]
Define:[Rain]
[Rain.Exist]

By the time this cycle of thought had been completed and passed amongst the miles of fungal mats to be confirmed, the month of monsoon had come to an end.

[Rain.NotExist]

Occasionally, a small furry mammal would try and nibble at the patch of fungus.

[Object.Motion+]
Define: [Object.Motion+]
Define: [Entity]
[Entity.Small~Touch]
[Entity.Small~Health-]
Action: [Emit]
Emit: [Aversion]
[Entity.Small=Averted]

The small furry mammal wrinkled its nose and turned away.  It did not taste unpleasant, but for some reason it felt unwise to eat.

The days stretch on and, far from the fungal heartlands, long strands of hypae gradually grow outwards through the forest until they reach its edge, perceiving for the first time a world without the ever-present canopy of trees.

[NotWet]
[Temp+]
[Food-]

Growing more slowly, but fed by the vast reserves of decaying matter being consumed within the forest, creepers of fungi extended along the grassy plains over a matter of months until eventually dipping into the river.

[Wet.Motion+++]
[NotRain]
Define:[Wet.Motion+++.NotRain]
Define:[River]
[Food-]
[Air-]

The fungus continued to grow along the banks, continuing along the river.  Meanwhile, events began to occur within the heartwoods.  Some of the small furry mammals were overcoming the compulsion not to eat the fungal mats and were nibbling away at it.  Local thoughts cycled at comparatively lightning speeds, concluded at the site in less than a minute and amongst the whole in only a matter of hours.

[Entity.Small~Touch]
[Entity.Small~Health-]
[Entity.Small=NotAverted]
Emit: [Aversion2]
[Entity.Small=Touch~Entity.Small.Other]
[Entity.Small.Other=Motion-]
[Entity.Small.Other=Motion-]
[Entity.Small.Other=NotMotion]
[Entity.Small.Other=Object.Small]
[Entity.Small=Motion-]
[Entity.Small=Motion-]
[Entity.Small=NotMotion]
[Entity.Small=Object.Small]
[Object.Small=Food]
Action:[Consume]

The small furry mammals felt the strange feelings of aversion striking them again and again and ignored it, happily munching away at this new source of protein.  Why had they never tried this before?  It tasted so good!  One of the little creatures turned to look at its mate.  He seemed to be twisting his head at an odd angle, as if a small insect was bothering him.  The small furry mammal chirruped questioningly.  Her mate suddenly let out a loud, keening shriek and began to attack her, savaging her with his tiny teeth.  She bravely struck back, trying to defend herself against her insane mate, but began to move slower and slower until at last she could move no more and the breath and blood left her body.  Her mate began trying to attack a tree until his own wounds caught up with him and he sank to the ground and died.  The rest of the herd fled these strange occurences as small strands of fungus began to creep up to consume the bodies.

Define:[Emit.Aversion2]
Define:[Rage]

The message coursed along the fungal strands, even as far abroad as the river, and with it came all the implications.  A new potential source of food had been found.  It had been a good year.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:59:44 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2008, 09:01:11 am »

Shai looked out over the forests below him. In the distance he has spotted small colorful creatures scurrying on the ground. His senses told him they were more then just wildlife, but not by much. He would have to report them to the council, even if only because there were a lot of them. He continued scouting ahead and wondered if they could live here well. It would probably depend on the possible coexistence with those wobbly creatures down there.

Rotem reached the edge of the forest and entered the fungal lands. He grew up here but the fungus seems to have grown worse. He decided to see if there was anything to do about it. Maybe the fungi were not as bad as they seemed.

Chayim and his mate entered the surrounding forests, other Lanlar were following him. They also wished to carve out their own spot in the large world. And there was still so much to discover and to do. As he was thinking about it, his mate echoed in his mind. She had found a spot that looked promising.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2008, 09:18:29 am »

The recent floods, falling prey to predators and upheaval in the heirarcy within the Jhiar'd had left two colonies lost to the environment. Of late the Heads had been discussing the increased hostilities along the borders and were becoming anxious to see what the Lizard folk and plants were going to do next. This prompted them to send large scouting parties into the enemy territory. The old wall that was being built along the eastern borders has long since been abandoned but hasn't been forgotten, more work crews are venturing out to find out what happened to the old colonies and the wall itself.

Meanwhile the increased need for more land to farm has spurred on the construction of new and better axes, and increased deforestation. Meaning sharper, more efficient axes are on the way. As before, the Heads have noticed the potential to use these axes as weapons, and have begun training so.

Expansion will continue as always, the Mothers now producing eggs at an increased rate.

After years of breeding and domestication the maggots are finally at home with the Jhiar'd, they continue to grow fat and feed the Heads well, while the edible fungas continues to grow in the large dark and damp silos they were planted in. When a lowly forager found an interesting plant producing seeds he returned home with it to see if it'd grow in the silos, to no avail it didn't. Then he tried outside, this time it worked. The new plant produced a small fruit that was very nutritious to Jhiar'd, but the outdoor farming methods have not been touched for a long long time.

The cult of Nevon, as its so called, has begun to raise some doubts, nothings happened for generations, and people are starting to believe nothing will ever happen. But, the sacrifice continues as normal.
My turn:

Edit: Aquizzer you might want to change the worship status of Asherons god. :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:59:50 pm by Nilocy »

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2008, 11:15:56 am »

A herd of strange creature's walked
'tastie muds' came a hoot
'tastie muds?' returned a whistle
'tastie muds!' came the hoot again, a couple of the creatures slowely went vaugely in the direction
of the sound. After about 5 minutes and several wrong turns they got to the source of the sound. a single Ammp lay in a rather large pit of mud rolling about and blasting mud about with its small head. The lead new arrival dipped his head into the pud and took a good swig.
'TASTIE MUDS!' it called with both head's spreying a fine mist of mud and mucus.
the other Ammp's took up the call and started to explore, it was a semi dry Ox bow lake next to a river.

More Ammp arrived over the next few day's until there were about 30 of them. they hooted and whistled and grunted about where would be the best place to build there warren. It was decided that they should dig it in a small rise about a minute away. They got to work some digging and some brining water from the river to the dry lake and some more gathering the ever needed plants that they would need to survive.

After some week's of work the place was completly changed. hidden tunnel's litterd the whole area,
The ox bow lake was no longer a lake but more like a muddy paddy field with line's of young but
thriving plants. next to the field in a small muddy dug out were the majority of the Ammp's who were genrally being quite content rolling about and occasionally spreying water or mud at each other. Every so often an Ammp would rise and tend it's salad bed or just go for a wonder round the area checking for anything new or intersting.

It was one of these more curious Ammp's that found something interesting. It wasn't quite sure what it was but it was eating the young plants and it was very big, and had nasty pointy bits on its head. The Ammp let out a hoot of despair and alarm. a minute later the small comunity of Ammp had assembled a respectable distance away from the large creature, the large creature did'nt pay much attention. The lead Ammp let out a hoot and the Ammps swelled in size as they filled them selfs with mud and water. the lead Ammp let out a grunt this time and the Ammps charged, blasting the creature with mud or water and nipping at it's ankels. The creature reared as it was blinded by mud, the Ammp pressed on pushing the creature back. after a few minutes the creature bolted, the Ammp's chased it for as long as they could be botherd then went home to asses the damage.

EE
E@E
EEE

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2008, 11:36:58 am »

Nevon had slumbered for too long. She breathed in deeply, embracing the warm, lava-heated air.

She once again awoke in the minds of her faithfull. The worshippers who were still faithful and who did not doubt were few, but they were still with enough. The phoenix will rise from the lava!

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2008, 11:47:59 am »

Aqizzar: I updated my actions with some numbers, check that out.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2008, 04:52:31 pm »

Wow, that was fast.  All that's left are me, a1s, Gantolandon, and EuchreJack.  I have double shift and then class in the morning, but if they get their turns in soon enough, I might be able to end the preliminary turn Monday night.  Some comments-

Note about colonization attempts – until I think of a good population mechanic, this is all abstract.  I'll include percentages for how much of the total population makes it to a new colony, but this is just for my benefit until a more precise system is made.  Same goes for worship until I have actual population numbers to work with.  A point to remember about colonizing efforts - trying to colonize multiple regions in one turn gives a difficulty penalty to all of them.

Asheron/Nilocy - Yeah, I figured the Jhiar'd are worshiping Nevon and vice versa but I forgot it was official.  I'll update the list post and factor that in.

Draigh - You've actually got just 5 EP left (5 went to breeding), but since you've been a good sport, put in the effort, and I confused things, I'll waive the difference.  After a turn or two of EP modifiers, the bonus won't matter.

Iituem - I'm going to subsume those explorations and colonizations into a few rolls.  Should work out fine.  I like the fungus brain.

EDIT: Slight update to list post.  Nilocy, I combined some of your traits for simplicity like we agreed, but you and NonAnon are overbudget.  If either of you want to chop out some points somewhere, PM me, or I'll just consider you in debt for the time being.  You'll be back up to speed by Turn 2 I'm sure.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 06:12:30 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2008, 05:10:51 pm »

Aqizzar: Do I have any PPs from my devoted Kadesh?

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2008, 08:34:03 pm »

It observed more...

The fleshlings have seen a glimpse of true unity. Even then their simple, divided minds couldn't comprehend what they saw. When they touched each other, their first reaction was to cut off the contact in panic. They also seemed to protect some of their thoughts with amazing fervor, as if they didn't want to let others hear it. Most of them were just parts of knowledge which they used to gain advantage over the others. They even had a word for it: "secrets". Some just would endanger them somehow, if revealed.

Poor flesh-things! Even now they could think only about conflict and strife. How could they achieve unity if the only thing they cared about was superiority over every other? No, they must learn cooperation... But how to teach them?

Lukut searched for an answer. It scanned minds of "Kadesh". What did they fear the most? It seemed that other, more hostile fleshlings were their bane. They couldn't fight the menace from the air and water alone. However, there were nothing Lukut could do. Smart fleshlings, however, could. Some of them begun to wonder: if they could make peace with the worms, couldn't they do this with more powerful creatures?

The entity begun to probe the minds of less intelligent fleshlings inhabiting this world. Most of them were inadequate. Some knew cooperation but couldn't do much against the predators. Others were too vicious. But some were hunters themselves, but ambushed their prey in packs.

Soon Lukut begun to send to the mystics some mental images. They included visages of animals it found domesticable. And where to find them. It was not veru much, but could make all the difference.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2008, 10:48:05 pm »

As far as interpreting my will, did you have any ideas?  I'm thinking one way of communication is for the religious leader to drink a foul mixture of alcohol, scum, jalopenio peppers, and other things, with the mixture conveying the message.  Then, the religious leader will vomit out the mixture, and read the vomit to determine my will.  Ha ha ha, feel the pain!    ;D

Err, how about using concentrated electrical shocks to set something on fire, then reading the flames.  Or having a mysterious artifact to communicate with, like a crystal computer or some such.

Also, crap!  Double post!

Euchre gazes down on the world, and examines the races.  Ah, the Shrike are quite powerful in the use of Lightning.  Very good.  Perhaps they will worship me.  However, perhaps they will rely too much on their natural abilities, and grow arrogant.  Perhaps they will be contacted later, if they prove willing to pursue technology and shiney objects.  (I'm willing to have multiple favored species, but I have to go with the person who responded first initially.  We'll have an opportunity to examine each other closer in the future.)

Ah, there seems to be another species with Lighting ability!  It's weaker, so they won't be as arrogant.  Now, to probe their thoughts.

Ha Ha Ha, Wonderful, Wonderful!
It seems one of them had a strange dream, about a brain as a leader.  He doesn't know what it means, but I do.  I'm very pleased, and will favor the Nahuantl.  Now, to observe this individual, and make myself known at the opportune time.  I shall call him my Chosen One, until this species gets a proper language going.

A little while later....

The Chosen One, who is currently a scout, has gathered some strange green vegetables.  After observing several animals eat the vegetable, and not having any other provisions except the meat of a small rodent, this scout decides to risk eating the vegetable.

The vegetable burns, but is satisfying.  However, three of the vegetables seems to be one too many, and the scout starts puking, which hurts more than eating the vegetable in the first place.  Strangely, the seeds and other food seems to create something that looks like the motions for fire, though it's very hard to tell.  Intrigued, the clever scout builds a fire on the spot, using it's shock power to start the blaze.

Suddenly: A monkey appears in the flame!  And it's gesturing towards the scout!

First, it communicates that it's called Euchre, and it wants to be friends!
Secondly, it indicates to put the meat on the fire.

A few minutes later, the monkey tell the scout to remove the meat, and consume it.  While the scout is hesitant, it doesn't want to offend a monkey it just met, especially one who appeared in flames.  Strangely, the meat tastes better!  Much better!

The monkey nods in approval and vanishes from the flame.
(See, we met in the middle!  Quite a victory, considering my godly status and all!  Don't worry, if this offends you, I'll take a way the vomiting jalepeno part in the near future.)

(Nonanonymous, feel free to elaborate on this.  I can only do limited things for now.  I'm afraid it'll be a while before I can smite your enemies with lightning.  Also, ask me about defending against psionics when they start bothering you.  I can't have my chosen species fall under somebody else's control  ;))

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2008, 01:34:33 am »

okay just had a brainwave and changing my turn and adding RP to it

okay turn down here
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2008, 07:40:08 am »

I have a little skill when it comes to basic models, so I wrote up a little excel sheet here to deal with population growth calculations.

I've subsumed all aspects of breeding into a single score of Breeding Ability (I wrote a longer sheet that took into account life expectancy, breeding ages and litter size, but it was unnecessary and I ran into a stumbling block at gestation periods, so I went for the simpler abstraction).  This generates a raw growth figure (roughly equivalent to 10% or current pop per BP) which is then modified by food avilability, predation, disease, civic provisions (shelters, nurseries etc) and other factors, then finally fate (a d100 roll).  Fate and avilability of food have the greatest weight, followed by predation, disease, other events and civic provisions in that order.  Full details are within the excel spreadsheet itself.

If you like, I can add a battle simulation sheet to it as well.  Colony success/failure can probably be determined by a simple d100 roll modded by civic advances.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26