Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Large Haydron Collider  (Read 13303 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
Re: Large Haydron Collider
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 12:35:52 pm »

And what if this microbe would be a mutation that can cure cancer AND aids?

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:41 pm »

i doubt that we'll survive to see any suspicious government agents if something does go wrong. currently, their seems to be 4 possible catastrophe scenarios predicted, 2 of which would very quickly destroy the whole planet, the third would destroy the whole universe, and the last... well i'm not sure what it would do... but probably something nasty too.

1) Micro black-holes are created and proceed to gain mass and end up engulfing the whole earth. while many scientists say its impossible to get black-holes in the energy level produced by the LHC, some scientists speculate that according to the mumbo-jumbo of the string theory, a fourth dimension of space exists (not to be confused with the traditional 4th dimension of time) and that by doing number crunching they can prove that gravity passing through that 4th dimension and the other normal dimensions can theoretically lead to the production of micro black-holes in the LHC at the rate of 1 per second.

2)'Strangelets', or extremely small clumps of 'strange matter' are produced. strange matter, when it comes into contact with normal matter, transforms the normal matter into more strange matter. thus the world might end up as a huge ball of strange matter.

3)i didnt quite get this one, something about True vacuum and False vacuum and whatnot, but i did understand that, theoretically, if certain conditions are met in the LHC, a bubble of 'true vacuum' would form and expand at the speed of light to eventually fill our whole 'false vacuum' universe, and this new 'true vacuum' has different laws of physics in it. meaning that all atoms, stars, planets, and life as we know it would simply cease to exist as the new laws of physics reform our universe.

4)the last thing is about the creation monopole magnets, meaning magnets having only a single pole. but i didnt see anything that might be dangerous in that...

all i can say, is that these scenarios are so far fetched that i can hardly imagine any of them happening  ::)

1) As already pointed out, micro black holes tend to evaporate quick. Some theorists even imply that we are already surrounded by micro black holes and th LHC would only increase their numbers slightly. And if a self sustaining b-hole manages to appear from the LHC we would have more than 100 years to deal with it before it gains enough mass to really start to tear the Earth apart.

2) If it happens the conversion would be so fast we all die before we realize what's happening. There's no doom if there's no one to witness it.

3) Same shits as 2)

4) Pure fantasy. Magnetic monopoles have no theoretical basis of any kind. They are the faeries of the scientific realm and are as real as XIX century's aether. In fact magnetism is a pure physical illusion like the Coriolis force. We only "observe it" because our frame of reference is moving in relationship to the frame of reference of the electrically charged particle that it's "creating" the magnetic field. Only electrical fields exist.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:33:24 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 02:49:47 pm »

Maybe it'll make phlostigen?
Shoes...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 05:15:13 pm »

I'm not sure if it's reassuring considered they give birth to a huge explosion once they evaporated but hey, losing is fun.

GOD PLAYS DWARF FORTRESS

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 07:16:05 pm »

I'm not sure if it's reassuring considered they give birth to a huge explosion once they evaporated but hey, losing is fun.

GOD PLAYS DWARF FORTRESS

God: Stop killin' eachother you idots! Jeez, I guess it's back to balancing again. No way I'm playing with the vanilla creatures. Dolphins as the sentients? What was I thinking?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mattyftw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 07:16:54 pm »

Oh god. It's going to be Black Mesa all over again.
CIG.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:57 pm »

I honestly wouldn't mind #1 happening. It'd take 4 years. Odds are your going to have a good time in that time, and then, if you havn't been killed, starved etc. you'll get to see the earth eaten by a black hole!
Magma is overrated.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 08:54:36 am »

Perhaps a more pressing question than what the fate of the world will be in a scant few dozen hours is WHAT "T***" is. While reassuring that the researcher was so assured, this is now a greater quandary. anyone know?

"T***"?
As far as I know (read it from several sources) he said "tw@t".

Something im interested in... any details about the date and time of the first collisions? I heard its 21 of sep, I browsed the Cern site, but couldnt find anything exact.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 09:05:07 am »

quote from wikipedia:
"the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008."

so for all we know, we might be doomed tomorrow. or next month.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 11:06:17 am »

I thought tool the first time I saw it, but there is an overwhelming argument that it is actually twat.

Also, prepare for unforseen consequences.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/_D3MO_/1220699909412.jpg

Yes, that's the LHC.

EDIT, it's unforseen. Stupid G-Man using strange words. There's no such thing as a forseen consequence.

Certainly just a coincidence!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 11:07:45 am »

To throw political correctness into this debate:

Does the LHC have a carbon footprint?
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 11:09:05 am »

Haha so funny, theres a "Large Hadron Collider" topic on all bigger forums what I used to visit. Paranoid people?  ;D

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 12:04:54 pm »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

quote from wikipedia:
"the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008."

so for all we know, we might be doomed tomorrow. or next month.
I know that part, but that friggin day has 24 hours, I heard.... (at least if the doomsday theorists are wrong  ;D)

So I'd like to get it a bit more exact, if that is possible  ;) I got some press release site of those cern guys bookmarked, but it's not all that helpful.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2008, 04:40:15 pm »

Supercolliders much like this one have been in existence for a number of years now.  There's no amount of power available on the world to power something of this magnitude for long enough to destroy ITSELF, let alone the entire world.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4