Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Large Haydron Collider  (Read 13308 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Large Haydron Collider
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:29 am »

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 01:10:39 am »

I thought tool the first time I saw it, but there is an overwhelming argument that it is actually twat.

Also, prepare for unexpected consequences.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/_D3MO_/1220699909412.jpg

Yes, that's the LHC.

Well now we're officially fucked.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 05:06:52 am »

quote from wikipedia:
"the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008."

so for all we know, we might be doomed tomorrow. or next month.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 05:26:47 am »

I thought tool the first time I saw it, but there is an overwhelming argument that it is actually twat.

Also, prepare for unexpected consequences.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/_D3MO_/1220699909412.jpg

Yes, that's the LHC.

Nah, we're in totally safe hands. Its the other scientists you gotta watch out for, like that one with the screw driver. He must be Breen's IRL counterpart.... he must be!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 08:13:50 am »

Quantum Resonance Cascade, here we come.
Shoes...

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 08:40:03 am »

Look out for suspicious government agents with speech impediment...

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Toad Preservation Society
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:52:46 am »

DOOMED!  DOOMED!  WE'RE ALL DOOMED! :o

Only joking.  My vote is that God says something like, "Hey-y-y-y, that really tickles!"
Proud member of the Toad Preservation Society
The system you've always wanted is here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 08:57:13 am »

Look out for suspicious government agents with speech impediment...

What's with that?  He constantly pauses when he's talking.
Shoes...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:44 am »

i doubt that we'll survive to see any suspicious government agents if something does go wrong. currently, their seems to be 4 possible catastrophe scenarios predicted, 2 of which would very quickly destroy the whole planet, the third would destroy the whole universe, and the last... well i'm not sure what it would do... but probably something nasty too.

1) Micro black-holes are created and proceed to gain mass and end up engulfing the whole earth. while many scientists say its impossible to get black-holes in the energy level produced by the LHC, some scientists speculate that according to the mumbo-jumbo of the string theory, a fourth dimension of space exists (not to be confused with the traditional 4th dimension of time) and that by doing number crunching they can prove that gravity passing through that 4th dimension and the other normal dimensions can theoretically lead to the production of micro black-holes in the LHC at the rate of 1 per second.

2)'Strangelets', or extremely small clumps of 'strange matter' are produced. strange matter, when it comes into contact with normal matter, transforms the normal matter into more strange matter. thus the world might end up as a huge ball of strange matter.

3)i didnt quite get this one, something about True vacuum and False vacuum and whatnot, but i did understand that, theoretically, if certain conditions are met in the LHC, a bubble of 'true vacuum' would form and expand at the speed of light to eventually fill our whole 'false vacuum' universe, and this new 'true vacuum' has different laws of physics in it. meaning that all atoms, stars, planets, and life as we know it would simply cease to exist as the new laws of physics reform our universe.

4)the last thing is about the creation monopole magnets, meaning magnets having only a single pole. but i didnt see anything that might be dangerous in that...

all i can say, is that these scenarios are so far fetched that i can hardly imagine any of them happening  ::)
<@Akroma> eh

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 09:14:11 am »

i doubt that we'll survive to see any suspicious government agents if something does go wrong. currently, their seems to be 4 possible catastrophe scenarios predicted, 2 of which would very quickly destroy the whole planet, the third would destroy the whole universe, and the last... well i'm not sure what it would do... but probably something nasty too.

1) Micro black-holes are created and proceed to gain mass and end up engulfing the whole earth. while many scientists say its impossible to get black-holes in the energy level produced by the LHC, some scientists speculate that according to the mumbo-jumbo of the string theory, a fourth dimension of space exists (not to be confused with the traditional 4th dimension of time) and that by doing number crunching they can prove that gravity passing through that 4th dimension and the other normal dimensions can theoretically lead to the production of micro black-holes in the LHC at the rate of 1 per second.

2)'Strangelets', or extremely small clumps of 'strange matter' are produced. strange matter, when it comes into contact with normal matter, transforms the normal matter into more strange matter. thus the world might end up as a huge ball of strange matter.

3)i didnt quite get this one, something about True vacuum and False vacuum and whatnot, but i did understand that, theoretically, if certain conditions are met in the LHC, a bubble of 'true vacuum' would form and expand at the speed of light to eventually fill our whole 'false vacuum' universe, and this new 'true vacuum' has different laws of physics in it. meaning that all atoms, stars, planets, and life as we know it would simply cease to exist as the new laws of physics reform our universe.

4)the last thing is about the creation monopole magnets, meaning magnets having only a single pole. but i didnt see anything that might be dangerous in that...

all i can say, is that these scenarios are so far fetched that i can hardly imagine any of them happening  ::)

1) YEY!
2) Hmm, does this mean we'll have like a tree that talks to us, and we'll be made of jelly?
3) Well, it'll be over fast then huh?
4) Shit, now that would screw up the birdies. Not to mention compasses.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 09:17:06 am »

If it turned the entire world mono-pole, it might kill us.  Doesn't the magnetic sphere protect us from solar radiation?
Shoes...

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 09:28:55 am »

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 11:05:27 am »

Books I read on the subject are quite old now, but aren't black holes supposed to die at a moment?

Ah, I checked. Black holes evaporate, and the higher temperature is around, the faster they do. So, a micro black hole, on Earth, would evaporate almost instantly .

I'm not sure if it's reassuring considered they give birth to a huge explosion once they evaporated but hey, losing is fun.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 11:25:05 am »

well thanks for the new info, i didnt know black-holes evaporated. and i somehow fancy losing in a big explosion more than being sucked into a black hole :P
<@Akroma> eh

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 12:33:14 pm »

The only serious concern about the LHC is thus:
IF a specific subset of a certain theory of String Theory is correct, and
IF the LHC has sufficient power even in that case to create them,
Then it will create microholes- identical to the ones produced when normal cosmic rays strike the atmosphere- at a rate approaching one a second.
Remember that these microholes have a life-span of microseconds, before they evaporate into a puff of radiation like a drop of water on a hot pan.
THEN, IF these somehow manage to survive for more than a second
AND IF two manage to collide - much like two bullets colliding in a gunfight (a sedate one of only 1 bullet per minute);
THEN this happens several times more,
Then there is a small chance that this still-microhole will last long enough to vaporize into enough radiation to give a microbe a sunburn.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4