Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves won't take out the trash! [40c]  (Read 1314 times)

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't take out the trash! [40c]
« on: September 08, 2008, 05:47:16 pm »

For some odd reason my Dwarves will not haul refuse to the refuse stockpile. I verified that o->r is set to gather refuse, and I even tried to tell them not to ignore refuse that is outside, but they refuse to carry the trash out.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't take out the trash! [40c]
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:46:58 pm »

In the Forbid Orders menu
  • -> [F], one of the 5 options controls whether or not vermin corpses should be forbidden when they die. Tweak with it and your problem will be fixed, I encountered this problem with my current fortress too.

Auto-forbidding vermin corpses is helpful because it prevents your cats from wandering off into the deadly wilds (note that indoor wilds are just as deadly as outdoor ones) and killing a roach and then having a dwarf run out to grab it.

Ideally, cats would always bring the dead vermin back to the fort. :D
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

Tried that, rodent corpses are still not being touched...
I checked it with the [k] command, and it is not forbidden, so I tried to forbid it then unforbid it, but they still won't touch them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »

Are you sure you have idle dwarves set to gather refuse in their labor preferences?

Also, check the custom options for the stockpile and make extra sure that all types of refuse are to be accepted.

And, of course, that the stockpile is accessible. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:56:59 pm »

I assume you haven´t your dwarves set to "All dwarves stay inside" or "only soldiers can go outside"?

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:25:26 pm »

I had that problem too.

I fixed it.

By starting a new fortress.
The only thing to do, is to make your dwarves dump all refuse in the
  • rders menu.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:01:10 pm »

I'm having a similar problem with stuff thats stuck in my traps. I'm thinking it might be a problem with ambiguity as to what is considered to be "outside." But basically theres goblin clothes and armour, and stones that are stuck in my entrance way that the dwarves refuse to touch. I've set them to be dumped, and played with every refuse option and dumping option I can find but they will not move them. I've also set the traps for removal but it just won't happen. Any clues?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:05:37 am »

Now I'm curious. You should examine any possible cause of this, even if it seems silly. Don't forget to come back and tell me what was causing it :D
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 03:17:50 am »

I'm having a similar problem with stuff thats stuck in my traps. I'm thinking it might be a problem with ambiguity as to what is considered to be "outside." But basically theres goblin clothes and armour, and stones that are stuck in my entrance way that the dwarves refuse to touch. I've set them to be dumped, and played with every refuse option and dumping option I can find but they will not move them. I've also set the traps for removal but it just won't happen. Any clues?
As far as I can tell, "outside" simply means tiles that are not naturally subterranean. If, for example, you would channel away one tile of roof on the top floor, there would be sunlight coming in making it "Light, above ground", even when building a new roof above it. Constructed roofs can never change if a tile is above ground or not. The problem with dwarves leaving stones in the doors seems to be this:

1. I mark stones for dumping inside, and make a dumping zone outside.
2. Dwarves grab stones and start going to the dumping zone.
3. In the doorway, the dwarf suddenly feels the irresistable urge to eat, sleep, drink and go on break. He/she drops the stone.
4. The doorway was built on a tile that is not subterranean, which means that there's now a stone lying in sunlight, and that counts as outside. The original dumping dwarf will not resume the task, therefore the stone will be there until I turn on "gather refuse outside", at which point everyone will be busy RUSHING towards the chasm where there's cat paws or whatever.

My solution is to always have my dumping zones and refuse stockpiles inside, and when I need to turn on "gather refuse outside", I activate the military and babysit all my dwarves because there is NOTHING more deadly than allowing a dwarf to go wherever he wants.

The good thing is that miasma will not be generated on outside tiles, and even bones will disappear eventually. But stones block the doors foreverandeverandever :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:19:58 am by Vaftrudner »

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:59:16 am »

This is a pretty new fortress for me, I set a 2x2 area to be down stairs, and set the refuse pile right next to them. There is a short tunnel (guarded by a wardog) and then it opens into my food storage, where my cat hangs out killing vermin.

The Vermin is not set to be forbidden
The dwarves are not set to ignore trash
the refuse stockpile is set to accept all forms of refuse
there is nothing blocking the path to the stairs leading up to the refuse pile (the tunnel is even two-wide)

I guess I'll try starting a new fortress and see if it happens again.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:04:51 am »

And the refuse stochpile is not full?

That´s what in most of the cases causes my dwarves to stop bringing refuse outside

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »

No, it wasn't full, the dwarves had never brought any thing to it.

Weird bug, I started a new fortress and its working fine. I still have the Save File, but I don't have anyway of uploading it. I'm willing to zip it and attach it to an email though.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 04:45:09 pm »

www.rapidshare.com

You don't need an account, upload and go.
quib·ble

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2