Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Creature Raws Quibbles List  (Read 2548 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Raws Quibbles List
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 03:05:56 pm »

For what it's worth, unicorns don't seem to have a [CHILD] tag, and probably should have [PET_EXOTIC], although the latter is more a suggestion than anything, based on the fact that you can even tame dragons and giant desert scorpions, and unicorns are tameable in folklore anyway to a degree; certainly a higher degree than giant arthropods.

Unicorns are magical creatures, so maybe they're born from rainbows or something. Also makes sense for them to be immortal, in a mythical sense that is.

And you are correct it's more of a suggestion than anything, so i'm not adding it to the list. I'm fairly certain it's intentional. Though it would be cool if they got [MOUNT] and [PET_EXOTIC] when you can have mounts in adventure mode. That and a pegasus creature too. And ride able griffons.  :)

New quibble. Cheetahs (and giant cheetahs by extension) don't have better speed despite having [PREFSTRING:speed]. Elf-like speed would probably be appropriate.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:21:31 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 03:33:22 pm »

Actually, look more closely. Unicorns DO have [MOUNT], so it's extra-weird that you can't tame them.

Also, I forget whether or not lack of [CHILD] means that something won't breed. Wouldn't it just mean that they are born as adults, or something?

And yeah, more creatures should have [SPEED] tags. Plain and simple. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 03:46:12 pm »

Actually, look more closely. Unicorns DO have [MOUNT], so it's extra-weird that you can't tame them.

That's what i get from posting from memory instead of checking first.  :-X

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »

I think it might be new, so that elves ride them into battle or something. I'm not sure.

But yeah, it's easy to miss creature tokens, especially when multiple tokens are on the same line.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 03:55:33 pm »

I just found a [BODY:4EYES] in the body raws. I think GCSs and GDSs should use this at least. I also haven't figured out what creature uses it. Could be the sea monster. I'll check.

Edit: Yup, it's that crazy extra bits mishmash sea monster. I still have serious trouble visualizing that thing. Though the sea monster just reuses most of its parts, i wonder if any other critters use [4EYES] in their bodies.

New quibble: Warthogs should have (and use) tusks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:21:43 pm by Neoskel »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 04:45:26 pm »

Well, technically not all spiders have 8 eyes. Many have 6 or 4, while others have 2 or even 1. For instance, several spiders of the Caponiidae family only have 2 eyes. Some cave spiders have no eyes at all, like the Lygromma anops.

So the fact that the GCS only have 2 eyes is perfectly acceptable to me, especially since they are cave spiders.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 07:23:01 am »

Well, technically not all spiders have 8 eyes. Many have 6 or 4, while others have 2 or even 1. For instance, several spiders of the Caponiidae family only have 2 eyes. Some cave spiders have no eyes at all, like the Lygromma anops.

So the fact that the GCS only have 2 eyes is perfectly acceptable to me, especially since they are cave spiders.

Exactly why i said it's subjective in the list.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 10:40:53 am »

I took a dive in the raws.

I found out that I know jack squat about raws.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 11:12:58 am »

They're pretty raw, aren't they?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 02:05:54 am »

'Nother quibble.

[BODY:ARMS_STANCE] has the [STANCE] tags on the upper arms instead of the hands which is weird. I'd say they'd be walking on their elbows but that would be part of the lower arm.

I also think it should be used for gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees, bonobos, etc. too. That would require [GRASP] on their feet too. I guess they just need a new 'ape' body.

The only creature that currently uses it in default is the slugman.

Edit: Crap, i just visualized how it would work for slugmen as is.  :P I'm still leaving it on the list though.

Oh, and snailmen have legs despite the shells being the main difference between slugs and snails.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 02:38:05 am by Neoskel »

Pages: 1 2 [3]