Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undead Ruins  (Read 1062 times)

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undead Ruins
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:12 am »

Hey all,

Have tried searching for this but brought up a new old topics not really relevant.

Basically I wanted to know if the Ruins have been taken out all together as I used to bump into them quite often but haven't for a long while.

Think I recall reading if a thread that they weren't in any more but...anyone know if their out perminently? Or whether they are planned to be put back at some point?

I miss them!  :'(

Also anyone know why they were taken out in the first place?

Cheers!
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
Re: Undead Ruins
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:16:07 am »

I think they've been gone since the switch to 3D/layers, but I might be wrong.  I think they where removed due to some aspect of the wars in history, tho the details of it are well beyond my ken.  I'm pretty sure they're going back in eventually tho.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

Pretty sure they've been in the 3D versions cos I didn't start playing properly untill it had all gone 3D! And they often had multi-layer tower with underground passages!

Maybe they're come back would be part of the whole "Make Adventuring more interesting" thing?
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 11:07:07 am »

I think they were taken out to replace them with "emerging" haunted places at some point. I.e. instead of randomly placing them pregenerated, they will be created for a reason during world gen, like maybe when there was a big battle or when a city was raised in an evil region etc.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:36 pm »

They were definitely out during 3D.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:08:51 pm »

They were in early in 3D. I forget when they went out--there are big gaps in my experience with adventurer mode, but I've definitely been in 3D haunted towers. IIRC, Toady removed them because the world generator was just randomly dropping ruins on the map and he wanted them to procedurally emerge from real sites and have some history. They'll probably return in the next few versions; ruins are already back in, they're just empty right now. I would imagine resurrecting former residents who died there wouldn't be too hard, and then we have undead-inhabited ruins again.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".