Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Giant Eagles spawned high in the sky and never move  (Read 2001 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c] Giant Eagles spawned high in the sky and never move
« on: September 08, 2008, 04:26:41 am »

This is the same save from my edges bug:

http://rapidshare.com/files/143453865/demongate_full_build_40c.rar.html

If you go up high in the sky, there are numerous giant eagles all stacked on a few tiles in midair. They don't move, aren't interested in dwarves, and their numbers gradually increase over time. This prevents other wildlife from spawning because the eagles don't leave. Eventually I'll have to try building a tower up to them and see if some marksdwarves can handle it.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Giant Eagles spawned high in the sky and never move
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:36:47 am »

Just noticed I have this as well on my current map, one eagle, currently flying high in one area, doing nothing at all, plus a couple of cave swallowmen doing the same.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:16:29 am »

It is worth noting that I ran a lot of mods in this build, but that the only change I made to giant eagles is giving them a higher population number and cluster size--it could be that when the game spawned them, they were all stuck in the same tile and thus laying down and unable to fly, and, being away from the ground, unable to crawl.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 01:03:33 pm »

LARGE_PREDATOR and a modified cluster size might conflict.  Try removing one of them.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 02:36:03 pm »

Come to think of it, could this explain why when I set cluster size for dragons to 1:2, exactly 50 percent of the dragons at worldgen died in year 2? I didn't think worldgen battles were actually enumerated to maps and literal combat.
quib·ble

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 03:47:26 pm »

LARGE_PREDATOR and a modified cluster size might conflict.  Try removing one of them.

Wolves. Lions. Animalmen.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 04:12:38 pm »

Wolves. Lions. Animalmen.

Whoops, my bad.  I thought I heard somewhere that LARGE_PRED made it so only one of the creatures would enter the map at any one time.

Maybe it's the [DIFFICULTY:2] tag?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:54:39 pm »

Maybe it's the [DIFFICULTY:2] tag?

The difficulty tag affects placement in dungeons\caverns and reclaimed fortresses.

It may just be the flight itself--like I said, all the eagles on that tile are blinking with a white X (crouching down) because they occupy the same tile. This may preclude them from flying, and their airborne-ness may preclude them from moving out of the tile by crawling. Similar stuff hasn't happened with other creatures (fire imps, magma\fire men, iron golems, giant cave spiders) when I jacked their cluster sizes up to ridiculous numbers.

I made fire imps reproduce and cluster from 8 to 16 at chunk gen, btw, so leaving them in the magma isn't always a wise idea for the long-term health of fortresses. :D
quib·ble

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 06:31:57 pm »

I have a giant eagle frozen in flight at the edge of my current fortress.  DF version is 40d, the eagle is unmodded.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:13:23 pm »

I haven't modded my game, and it isn't just the eagles doing this - got a few cave swallowmen currently frozen in place in the sky. One per square, they aren't stacked on each other as well.