Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: supplies  (Read 660 times)

foenix phyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
supplies
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:21:26 pm »

How do you know when you have the proper supplies for a work shop?  for example i want to process plants at the farmers workshop so i can make cloth    in the loom      i have pigtails growing      but it will never let me because i dont have any processable plants
Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne'er succeed / To comprehend a nectar / Requires sorest need / Not all of the purple host / Who took the flag today / Can tell the definition / So clear, of victory, / As he, defeated, dying / On whose forbidden ear / The distant strains of triumph / Break, agonized and clear

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: supplies
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:24:39 pm »

You need to proccess at a farmers workshop first I think.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Pig_tails

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:25:02 pm »

Have your pigtails reached maturity (changed from the = symbol to the curly t/y-like symbol), and have they been harvested and carried to a stockpile that accepts them?  Until these steps have occurred, they cannot be used for anything.

foenix phyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:51:19 pm »

well how do i know if i have any stored? 
Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne'er succeed / To comprehend a nectar / Requires sorest need / Not all of the purple host / Who took the flag today / Can tell the definition / So clear, of victory, / As he, defeated, dying / On whose forbidden ear / The distant strains of triumph / Break, agonized and clear

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 12:30:32 am »

once plants are grown, a planter (or any idle dwarf) will take them to a stockpile that is set to hold them.  If you don't have a stockpile that can take the pig tails, they will just rot in the field.  Use the z menu and go under "kitchen" to see how many pig tails you have in stock.  If there's no listing for them, you don't have any.  And by the way, make sure the farmer's workshop is set to "process plant" and not "process plants to bag" or "process plants to barrel"
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:04:42 am »

Just to note, pig tails go into food stockpiles

Food>Plants>Pig Tail

So make a custom stockpile and edit it to only accept said plants

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:14:37 am »

Or make a generic stockpile where all plants go that will be processed in the farms workshop (like pigtails, quarry bushes, sweet pods). I usually make one directly above the room for my farm workshops, reachable directly by a stair in this room (in my case combined with the plants needed for my mills, as both, farm workshops as well as querns are located in the same room).

But I usually check which plants I have via the stockpile menu in the fortress overview (which you get by opressing z). But it requires that your book keeper manages the stockpiles with the necessary accuracy.