Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A good reason to waste points on dogs  (Read 1985 times)

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A good reason to waste points on dogs
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:21:47 pm »

Well, I had just given myself a large amount of starting food, and I still had a good deal of points left over, so I spent it on dogs.

Well, I dig out more rock than I know what to do with, so I set my stonecrafter to cranking out dozens of stone crafts. I'm guessing that's what caused the next excitement.

Suddenly the game pauses and I see "Thieves! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"

I'm suddenly very worried, as this the first fortress I've actually put any serious work into, and I didn't want to lose any dwarves having only reached late spring.

So I decided to un-pause the game, and the kobold shuffles around on top of a large hill, before deciding to go in for the prize. He takes about two steps when all these d's start flooding over the side of the hill towards him...

So the 14+ dogs I had spent points on, thinking they would make a good source of food if need be, chase this one thief half way across the map and render him into chunks.

I laughed for a time after that.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: A good reason to waste points on dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:34:05 pm »

Really, kobold thieves are nothing. Usually even an untrained peasant/farmer can kill one with relative ease, although once in a GREAT while the kobold will make a lucky stab.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 10:38:39 pm »

Usually straight through your dwarves heart, pancreas, left eye, and right upper arm all at once.

That's really annoying.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:21:36 am »

An even more unlikely (hence, its happened to everyone at least once...) thing is for a kobold to get a lucky shot on the throat of a slightly more than experienced dwarf.
Magma is overrated.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:12:45 am »

Hi!

Actually, my experience is also something like: impromptu drafted dwarf vs. kobold: 5 : 0

Drafted dwarf vs. rhesus macaque: 13 : 2

So, personally, I consider macaques to be a bigger problem (they tore out the throats of two dwarves, one of which had already had gathered some battle experience). Fortunately, they do trigger weapon traps :) :) :)

If you don't want to deal with kobold thieves, just ignore them - as far as I know, once uncovered, they will flee the map anyway.

If you have free roaming cats and outside vermin, odds are quite good that the thieves are noticed long before they get close to your fortress, thus minimizing the hazzle.

Otherwise, just draft a dwarf without hesitation - kobold thieves are real push-overs, as others have already stated.

Deathworks

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:39:26 am »

I just chain a pair of expendable animals outside any enterance or choke point, thus theives and snatchers flee without bothering me.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:45:55 am »

Hi!

Actually, my experience is also something like: impromptu drafted dwarf vs. kobold: 5 : 0

Drafted dwarf vs. rhesus macaque: 13 : 2

So, personally, I consider macaques to be a bigger problem (they tore out the throats of two dwarves, one of which had already had gathered some battle experience). Fortunately, they do trigger weapon traps :) :) :)

If you don't want to deal with kobold thieves, just ignore them - as far as I know, once uncovered, they will flee the map anyway.

If you have free roaming cats and outside vermin, odds are quite good that the thieves are noticed long before they get close to your fortress, thus minimizing the hazzle.

Otherwise, just draft a dwarf without hesitation - kobold thieves are real push-overs, as others have already stated.

Deathworks

I love seeing wild animals wandering into my traps, I always try to imagine the Splat.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:11:54 pm »

I'm calculating it around 100:1. I've had a good dwarf get stabbed through the heart-and-lungs-and-pinky by a lucky kobold.  Once.

Goblin thieves are pretty vicious though; took out one of my legendaries.  Granted, it was my legendary office manager.  Fights with goblin thieves seem to run about 4:1 in favour of dwarves.

The best way to deal with kobolds is to have the invading dragon smoke them out as they're sneaking in the front door.  The moving source of smoke is a sight to behold, since you don't get to know there's a kobold in the middle of it until the kobold dies.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:23:33 pm »

Hello!

Goblin thieves are pretty vicious though; took out one of my legendaries.  Granted, it was my legendary office manager.  Fights with goblin thieves seem to run about 4:1 in favour of dwarves.

I never had to deal with such problems. Weapon traps work wonders on goblin thieves. And you will not even get the snatcher announcement if the thief gets killed by a trap. I was really surprised when I suddenly saw my dwarves carrying narrow clothes through my fortress from no known source - until I checked the weapon traps in the entrance :) :)

The best way to deal with kobolds is to have the invading dragon smoke them out as they're sneaking in the front door.  The moving source of smoke is a sight to behold, since you don't get to know there's a kobold in the middle of it until the kobold dies.

But this has the slight technical problem of dragons getting extinct long before the civs look even somewhat interesting.

Deathworks

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:55:01 pm »

My woodcutter:thief ratio is about 1:5... So entirely unlucky, I guess, but really, they've got no armor or shield. It makes sense.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:51:54 pm »

I've never really been bothered by thieves all that much. They always run off before they manage to take something, and none of my dwarves can catch up with it before it leaves the map.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »

My farmer is currently surrounded by 15 dogs. Why? Well, he had nothing to do while my miners dug out the main parts of the fort, so I had him build a kennel and train my 8 starting dogs up to war dogs. That means they follow him automatically. Then three of them gave birth.

It'd be more amusing if it didn't mean that he spent all of his time lying down to let a dog walk through his square.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:09 pm »

Dogs are awesome.

But whatever you do, don't assign a whole bunch of war dogs to, say, a prized double legendary woodcutter/carpenter as an ambush deterrent.

True, she got away from the goblins because they were busy slaughtering her eight wardogs.

But she then immediately went deep into the pit of despair from losing eight "pets".  She made a beeline back home, went to bitch to the mayor, cut him clean in half, knocked a guard down a hallway, crippled a marksdwarf champion, threw her axe at a peasant and tore the throat out of a camel before being shot.

So the dogs, really, really didn't help.  I also should probably have taken the axe off've her.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:20:36 am by Narmio »

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:12:09 pm »

I am very silly, and hit quote instead of modify.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:20:22 am by Narmio »

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:31:11 pm »

Dogs are awesome.

But whatever you do, don't assign a whole bunch of war dogs to, say, a prized double legendary woodcutter/carpenter as an ambush deterrent.

True, she got away from the goblins because they were busy slaughtering her eight wardogs.

But she then immediately went deep into the pit of despair from losing eight "pets".  She made a beeline back home, went to bitch to the mayor, cut him clean in half, killed a guard, crippled a marksdwarf champion, threw her axe at a peasant and tore the throat out of a camel.

So the dogs, really, really didn't help.  I also should probably have taken the axe off've her.
You say this like it's a bad thing.  Still waiting to find out what happens to my elite marksdwarf with her eight children following her around my battlements...