Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Forum Clue - Histories of Vice and Treachery. GAME OVER BOKSI WINS.  (Read 24062 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Clue
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 08:57:36 am »

Well, if you consider that if across two suggestions where only one part matches the same player counters with the same card number...  yeah, I guess it's not in the spirit of the game. Then again, it's more of a spinoff, so... :)

I'm at work and bored anyway, so if you want a ready spreadsheet for 10 players and 33 cards, I can send it to you. I've already made it. :P It outputs stuff like this:
Spoiler: Original list (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: First player's list (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Second player's list (click to show/hide)
For all ten players, ad infinitum, based on sets of numbers in columns next to the main list.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 09:10:45 am »

I'll admit it's a long shot, but I'd rather just do the PMs and not worry about it.  I suspect the dominant cost of updating will be looking at my lists and figuring out who disproves, not the PM process.

Thanks anyways, though.  I completely sympathize about being bored at work.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:46:24 am »

Ill join.

Ill be umm... Thingbert the armor smith

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 06:28:55 am »

7. a1s/?
oh, right.
I'll take "recurit".
("dumb draft! grr!")
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 07:13:25 pm »

When do we start?
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 07:16:22 pm »

I'll probably start tomorrow or Friday.  I wanted to make sure people had a chance to sign up before we started; I think we've got all the people we're going to get, though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Clue - Histories of Vice and Treachery. Two slots left!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 12:16:52 pm »

Wait, korora. You confused yourself and confused the hell out of me as well.

The system I made does not allow to guesstimate the cards of a player, unless the same player makes a second suggestion with the clue that was countered the first time. Because the lists for all players are random, then even if another player makes a suggestion with the same clue, the number of the same clue card will be different for the other player. In the lists I posted, let's say Player2 makes a suggestion "Player4 with weapon3 at location8". Player3, having the weapon3 clue, will counter, and you will say "Player3 counters with clue 18", which player2 interprets according to his list, as the weapon3 clue. If the next turn, Player1 will suggest "Player2 with weapon3 at location1", player3 again counters with weapon3, but this time you say "Player3 counters with clue 20". Unless Player2 again makes a suggestion with a clue that he knows was countered, which can be punishable as game disruption in these conditions, and is also plain stupid unless you specifically want to let everyone know what clue player3 has, it will be impossible to figure out the clues player3 has. The only ways the same player will counter with the same clue number twice is if two players have the clue at the same list position (which is impossible to predict unless the players read each others lists), or if two players have different clues the player counters with at the same position. So my system is perfectly safe in normal conditions, and does not spam the inbox (both PMs and emails) with messages.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

No, that's the situation I meant.  It's more likely than you imply, since you can only suggest the room you're in, so if your choice is to either guess in a room you've already seen or miss a turn to move to the center, you might choose the former.  This is especially true if the person holding the room is near the end of the sequence for you.

Also, you can get almost as much information by paying attention to what other people guess as you can making your own guesses, so it could be beneficial to say something you've already seen; in particular, it is common practice to suggest one or two (or even, rarely, three) cards that you actually have in your hand.  I know this doesn't matter to your system, but it demonstrates that there's more to this game than just refining a guess until you strike upon the correct 3.

In any case,
I'll admit it's a long shot, but I'd rather just do the PMs and not worry about it.

I think I'll start up tonight, so there's about 5 hours left for sign-ups.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 02:35:06 pm »

Oh well. It's your game, you're the boss. :)

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 05:22:10 pm »

However its done is fine.
Anyways, it works by PM and theres 1-2 days to decide what to do, right?

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 08:33:32 pm »

OK, I think we're ready to start!  I'll be playing as The Adamantine-Loving Noble, the host and corpse.  Here's the full list of cards:

Suspects
Kaslal Amakas, human
Herbert the Hammerer
Creamcorn, Soapmaker
qwertyuiopas
The Miner
The Mechanic
The Recruit
Thingbert, Armorsmith

Weapons

+Throwing Coin+
Drawbridge
Artifact adamantine battle-axe
Zombie War Carp
Impossible mandate
Weapon trap
-Wooden Crossbow-
Magma

Places
Alcohol Stockpile
Trade depot
Legendary dining room
Statue Garden
Subterranean farm
Meeting area
Barracks
Megaconstruction
Forest
Nobles' quarters
Magma forge

You'll have PMs shortly with your cards.  Here's the board:
Code: [Select]
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|                     |                                           |                     |
|  Alcohol Stockpile  |            Legendary Dining Room          |    Statue Garden    |
|                     |                                           |                     |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|                     |                                           |                     |
| Subterranean Farm   |                                           |     Meeting Area    |
|                     |            Central  Staircase             |                     |
+---------------------+                                           +---------------------+
|                     |          (everyone starts here)           |                     |
|      Barracks       |                                           |  Megaconstruction   |
|                     |                                           |                     |
|                     |                     |                     |                     |
|    Trade Depot      |       Forest        |  Nobles' Quarters   |     Magma Forge     |
|                     |                     |                     |                     |

However its done is fine.
Anyways, it works by PM and theres 1-2 days to decide what to do, right?

Yeah, I'll give you a good 48 hours.  After that, I'll move you to the central staircase, so you can move anywhere on the next turn.

Boksi, it's your turn.  You can move anywhere and make a suggestion (post your suggestion here; I'll announce who disproved you to all players and PM you the card revealed).

If any of you have a specific strategy in case there are two cards you could reveal, now is the time to PM it to me and I'll take it into account.  Otherwise I'll just try to minimize the number of cards you show at all and the number you show to a given player.

EDIT: Cards should be in your PM-boxes now.  If you haven't gotten them for whatever reason, let me know!
EDIT2: Map fixed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:07:21 pm by korora »

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
Re: Forum Clue - Histories of Vice and Treachery. Boksi's turn!
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 08:56:44 pm »

The list of locations doesn't seem to match up with the board.
 For one list of things, theres no:
Barracks
Megaconstruction
Forest
Nobles' quarters
Magma forge

And there are doubles of:
Alcohol Stockpile
Trade depot
Statue Garden

And theres the "Legendary dining room" and "dining room"

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 08:58:46 pm »

:-[ I may have copy-and-pasted and forgotten to change the pasted part!

Anything's possible!

EDIT: It's fixed now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:07:38 pm by korora »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 08:53:33 am »

OK, so I can move to a room and suggest at the same time, assuming the room is adjacent to the one I'm in?

If so, I move to the Legendary Dining Room and suggest The Miner with the +Throwing Coin+.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 09:04:31 am »

Boksi, you were disproven by Kashyyk.

Just to be clear, disproving starts with the person below you on the list, so Kashyyk was the last person who had a chance to disprove you.  On your turn you may move to any room, make a suggestion, or both; however, you can't make a suggestion in the same room you used last turn.

Code: [Select]
|                     |                                           |                     |
|  Alcohol Stockpile  |            Legendary Dining Room          |    Statue Garden    |
|                     |         (Kaslal Amakas, The Miner)        |                     |
|                     |                                           |                     |
| Subterranean Farm   |                                           |     Meeting Area    |
|                     |            Central  Staircase             |                     |
+---------------------+                                           +---------------------+
|                     |          (everyone starts here)           |                     |
|      Barracks       |                                           |  Megaconstruction   |
|                     |                     |                     |                     |
|    Trade Depot      |       Forest        |  Nobles' Quarters   |     Magma Forge     |
|                     |                     |                     |                     |

That means Duke 2.0, it's your turn!  Move anywhere and make a suggestion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12