Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Forum Clue - Histories of Vice and Treachery. GAME OVER BOKSI WINS.  (Read 24064 times)

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I found a forum version of the board game Clue/Cluedo, and since this is one of my favorite games I thought I'd host a version here.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, check Wikipedia.  There are some gameplay changes for forum purposes as follows (stolen shamelessly from here):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone interested in a game?  I'll host the first one, and if people like it we can go from there.  I'll be thinking of DF-themed weapons and locations to make it slightly topical for these forums as well.  If you sign up, you should also give yourself an in-game identity that fits the DF setting (or not) and, if you like, choose your place in the turn order.  10 people total can play.

Players:
1. Boksi/Kaslal Amakas, human
2. Duke 2.0/Herbert the Hammerer
3. Creamcorn/Creamcorn, Soapmaker
4. qwertyuiopas/?
5. LazerBomb/The Miner
6. Sean Mirrsen/Mechanic
7. a1s/Recruit
8. Kashyyk/Thingbert, Armorsmith
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:45:19 am by korora »
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Clue
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:45:42 pm »

I'll join.

Kaslal Amakas, a human. Preferably going first, too.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:50:09 pm »

I'll join. Herbert the Hammerer.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 05:52:54 pm »

Duke: Do you care which slot you're in?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 05:53:39 pm »

Not really. I just want the Hammerer to die in the Dungeon by a Silk Sock.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:07:45 pm »

I'll join.

Creamcorn. The pretty dwarf soaper.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:09:12 pm »

Why not make it/ heve it devolve into a RTD?
Once you know who did it, it could be a RTD to eliminate him, but he gets a +2 bonus to counter the fact that it's all vs him...

Whatever happens, I'll join.
Eh?
Eh!

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:59:10 pm »

I think we have enough RTDs, despite being in one myself.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 08:06:08 pm »

I'll join. I am the Miner.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 04:54:26 am »

Alright, I admit it!  It was me, in the Various Nonsense forum, with the 9:00 thread!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:15:35 am »

Heh heh. It looks to be fun. Though I can't say I really understand the mechanics, I'll give it a try.

Make me a Mechanic.

Hey! Let's add RTD to it! Drawing cards the other way! Roll a d6 for every player each turn, a [1] represents a clock. Once someone gets the 8th [1], he is killed by the murderer, thus speeding up the game.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:28:40 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 07:25:41 am »

Though I can't say I really understand the mechanics, I'll give it a try.

The Clue mechanics, or the modification for forum play?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:02 am »

I think I'll join.

as for the killing part, instead, on a roll of 6 (out of d6) the murderer picks who dies. the clues are then randomly distributed between the people who have the least clues (or, you know, given out clockwise from the dead guy, 1 at a time). (I'm joining in any case)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 08:03:29 am »

Both, actually. I read the wiki article, hence the clock-dice suggestion.

So I kinda gathered that in the original, there was a limited amount of cards/clues (who/where/what), and everyone got three cards, taken from a pool total. Three cards were put away, and the players were using the cards they have as proof to a suggesting player that the card cannot be one of those put away, because they had it with them.

What I didn't understand though, is if everyone had three cards, and the pool total was constant, then how would you play it with a different amount of players? At some point there would be more choices to choose from than the players could disprove. Something else had to happen there.

As for the forum, well, I suppose you can't do it in any other way than with PMs. But, maybe to avoid constantly sending out PM's, you could "get smart"? Go look at the random sequence generator over at random.org. The 33 cards that we will have in play (3 hidden, 30 are held by players) can be numbered 1 to 33 in a bajillion different ways, way more than 10 at any rate.
Set a list for every player, by firing up Excel, typing the list of cards into a column, putting in the numbers in the sequence into another column, then sort by the numbers, copy and paste into the message. Thus, in the first PM that you will send to the player, containing the three clues that he has, you will also send him a list, his personal, randomized list of the cards available to him. You, of course, will keep all the players' lists in the spreadsheet. And then you can just post this message: "Player 3, Player 2 denies your claim by showing you card 23". Player 3 will look into his first PM, and see that card 23 is an adamantine pick that he suggested. And since everybody has different lists, nobody else will know what was shown, only the fact that it was, and that player 1 had nothing of it.

Edit: just tested it, and it's even easier than I thought. You can gen sequences of 1 to 33 very easily, or you can instead put the stuff into a list randomizer, and work with it like that. Excel also automatically arranges either the sequence or the list output into individual cells, without any manual typing (except entering the initial list) required.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:14:10 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 08:35:33 am »

OK, I looked at the wiki article and I see what you're talking about with the clocks now.  That's not part of the original Clue game, though, so I'm not planning on including it.

In the board game, you just deal out the 30 leftover cards to all the players.  Sometimes it works out that some players see more cards than other players, and there are various ways around it (like having people with more cards show a card to the people with fewer cards, etc.) but here I'll just tailor the number of weapons/locations so that everyone gets 3.

As for the random numbers,  I think it's important in this game to conceal as much information as possible from people who aren't part of the reveal.  Using the numbers is a lot like playing with a marked card, in that there are potential deductions to be made if you pay attention (e.g. if someone shows you 23 twice, on two different guesses, I can probably figure out based on the intersection of those guesses what the card could be).  And I don't expect the PM'ing to get too burdensome.

Still 3 slots open if anyone's interested.  If we're not full by the end of the week I'll go ahead and start anyways.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12