Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population requirements question  (Read 589 times)

Snikers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population requirements question
« on: September 07, 2008, 03:40:30 pm »

According to the wiki, most nobles have a population requirement before they show up. However, the discussion for said wiki pages have several comments from people who have had nobles show up even though they are still a dwarf or two under the prerequisite, with the theory that the game still counts dwarves that have died.

Hypothetically, does every immigrant that steps onto the map count towards these population requirements, even if they're immediately ambushed by goblins/eaten by carp/killed in some fashion?

I only ask because I'm soon to start a hermit game, and I think it would add some challenge if I eventually have to babysit a bunch of useless nobles.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Population requirements question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:01:50 pm »

If you're killing everyone anyways, why spare the nobles? I mean, wouldn't an ornery hermit be less likely to leave them alive than the average fortress overlord?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:17:32 pm »

You can't kill nobles! That's just uncivilized. It'd be like hurting the cute widdle kitty-cats!

He's looking for a challenge; nobles could only hope to add to that. Especially the Hammerer, because the first failed mandate would result in a game over.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 05:19:40 pm »

You can't kill nobles! That's just uncivilized. It'd be like hurting the cute widdle kitty-cats!

He's looking for a challenge; nobles could only hope to add to that. Especially the Hammerer, because the first failed mandate would result in a game over.

Hammerer hermit?

Hammerer: I hear the cries of the nobility, but there is nobody to punish...
 Sheep: Baaa?
 Hammerer: DIE FOR THE FAILED MANDATE!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO