Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [40d] Severe processor taxing  (Read 2144 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Severe processor taxing
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 12:07:02 pm »

On a side note, you are at fault for making me addicted to liberal crime squad.

I beat LCS and it no longer holds any interest.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 02:35:04 pm »

On a side note, you are at fault for making me addicted to liberal crime squad.

I beat LCS and it no longer holds any interest.

You're a conservative pig. Wanna go out on a date?

(That's actually a game mechanic. You can seduce people or just kidnap conservatives when they aren't with their weapons.)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 04:16:23 pm »

You're a conservative pig. Wanna go out on a date?

(That's actually a game mechanic. You can seduce people or just kidnap conservatives when they aren't with their weapons.)

I'm quite aware, you kidnap them, brainwash them, release them into the wild.  Get a CEO, a Scientist, a radio and a TV person, couple others (all the ones that sound important) and you eventually have one head hauncho in every "location" and you can retire.  The sleepers will do their thing and 100 years later: uber liberal country.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 09:30:18 am »

I know you know it's a feature. I was stating it to everyone else who doesn't play LCS.

Basically it'd look awkward if I come up to you and say "Your pants would look good on my bedroom floor."
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 07:22:19 pm »

Heya OP,

I have a dual-core CPU and got a somewhat minor performance increase out of DF by setting the game's affinity to one specific core in the process information in task manager. Is there something similar for Macs? Basically I told it to choose a core and use that one for most work instead of trying to use both for everything.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 11:44:46 pm »

Noble Digger:  Sadly, I can't seem to find any settings to get DF to use/prefer only one core.  Thanks for the hint, though; I'll keep looking around to see if I can find a way to do that.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 11:44:22 am »

OS X 10.5 has a thread affinity API to provide the scheduler hints about when it should try extra hard not to migrate threads across CPUs, but I don't think it has a userspace tool to force specific processes to a given CPU; it's something DF would have to call itself for any threads it spawns.

Typically the scheduler should avoid excessive CPU migration by itself anyway; indeed that's listed as an area that was improved in 10.5, and 10.6 is expected to improve the scheduler further.  It wouldn't surprise me if Leopard was considerably better than XP with this, given it's age.
Pages: 1 [2]