Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Name That Currency!  (Read 14328 times)

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name That Currency!
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2008, 05:29:51 pm »

Calling your ☼ "Hours" would have a nice double meaning; dwarf-hours of (unskilled)labour being a possible in-character approximation of value

Marx' theory of value greets :)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2008, 05:35:50 pm »

Calling your ☼ "Hours" would have a nice double meaning; dwarf-hours of (unskilled)labour being a possible in-character approximation of value

Well, pre-economy dwarves are communists.  ;D

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2008, 11:51:45 pm »

Well, pre-economy dwarves are communists.  ;D
I'd have to argue that they are just completely stupid, and thus, oblivious as to the origins and mechanics of their wealth.  It may amount to the same thing, who knows?

The proof of this is that when a system is thrust upon them later on, they are still just as stupid and it all falls apart and creates a big coiny mess.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2008, 05:15:12 am »

I wouldn't say the dwarves are stupid... actually they are a species where communism really works, since they don't fall prey to the usual problems communism has:
* Individual motivation  (dwarves will do their tasks motivated if they just have enough beer)
* Communism needs pretty powerfull leaders to organise it all, which most times soon enough turns around in being actually a dictatorship with a corrupt dictator just naming itself a communistic state to blend the people. Does not happen in dwarffort, the dictator is I, the player, and I don't get corrupt.
* Communism proved itself great when catching up on technology (look in 1900 russia made in 20-30 years what europe took aprox 300), however proved itself to be quite bad when pushing at the state of the art of technology. There is no technological development in dwarf fort. So restrictions don't apply.

--
Appart from that what the game calls "economy" is everything but an economy. Its definitively not a capitalistic economy, since who owns now the goods of production? dwarves? No. They are still common good, so its still some sort of communisism. Note that communists allowed private property of luxery goods and had money, so this does not set anything apart. IMHO the economy add on, is an experiment to mimic something, which enourmously failed.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2008, 07:21:29 am »

I wouldn't say a player is beyond corruption in respect to leadership. I know you were speaking for yourself there mind :P

I mean there's generally caring for the people, making sure they have food and beds and such, then the flipside of that is using the populace for your own selfish goals and desires. A noble has the power to have a few dwarves beaten/locked up if they fail to meet his demands. You have the power to feed the entire populace to a dragon, drown them in lava or worse if they fail to meet -your- mandates, nobles included. You'd think the next high and mighty dwarf down the line would think twice about making demands of the big bad upstairs once he's stepped in to fill his predecessor's smoking boots, but they are hilariously simple little creatures.

Back on topic, I think I've just played too many rpg's but I always think of the little money symbols as GOLD :D

Having said that the actual gold coin in DF has a value of 15, so I guess the little symbol technically stands for a copper penny. But where's the fun in that?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:28:00 am by Loctavus »
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2008, 08:36:32 am »

I think turtles is poor because there are already turtles in the game. When I say, "This sword is worth a thousand turtles" do I mean 1000 value (one thousand currency turtles) or do I mean 2000 value (one thousand animal turtles).

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2008, 10:44:20 am »

I think turtles is poor because there are already turtles in the game. When I say, "This sword is worth a thousand turtles" do I mean 1000 value (one thousand currency turtles) or do I mean 2000 value (one thousand animal turtles).

"This car is worth ten thousand bucks!"

"...that's alot of deer."

It's all about context, silly.  :D

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2008, 10:56:22 am »

¤!

Remember kids, Alt + 0164.

You're making that up. There is no such combination.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2008, 11:11:34 am »

¤!

Remember kids, Alt + 0164.

¤¤¤ Works for me. ¤¤¤

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2008, 12:26:57 pm »

I wouldn't say a player is beyond corruption in respect to leadership. I know you were speaking for yourself there mind :P

Having said that the actual gold coin in DF has a value of 15, so I guess the little symbol technically stands for a copper penny. But where's the fun in that?

Agree and Agree.  Too many players kill nobles as a matter of course for me to think that the player isn't inherently corruptable.

As far as the dwarf coin being worth 1¤ only sometimes, I think that's part of the problem.  The ¤ value is catpaw put it is only a value unit, that isn't replaced by a coin value until there are coin values to replace it with, and even then don't line up on a 1 for 1 basis.

Long rant short:
VU, Shot, Dwarfbux, turtles for the value unit, (since it's a player term and not a character term)

kerlag, ucat, etc for the coins themselves

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2008, 03:20:00 am »

N¤ w¤y! W¤rks here :o numlock must be on and you have to use the numpad.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2008, 07:29:51 am »

I don't know, I have trouble calling them "turtles" when I look at my fortress screen and see: ☼.  Not which is a turtle, and looks totally different.  I mean, come on...they don't even look remotely similar.

Er, I think I've been playing too much.  My cat is laying on my desk and it actually looks like a little c...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:09:29 am by theubie »

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2008, 02:14:41 pm »

I don't know, I have trouble calling them "turtles" when I look at my fortress screen and see: ☼.  Not which is a turtle, and looks totally different.  I mean, come on...they don't even look remotely similar.

Er, I think I've been playing too much.  My cat is laying on my desk and it actually looks like a little c...

"No! I must kill the nobles" he shouted
The radio said "No, Theubie. You are the nobles"
And then Theubie was a .

;D

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2008, 02:26:21 pm »

"No! I must kill the nobles" he shouted
The radio said "No, Theubie. You are the nobles"
And then Theubie was a .

;D

Eek.  I expect to be flooded with very hot or very cold liquid very soon.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2008, 03:04:08 pm »

☼alt+15☼
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6