Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guards actually guarding?  (Read 1228 times)

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
Guards actually guarding?
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:03:01 am »

While browsing my unit list I noticed something different than usual. One of my royal guards had the action "Guard Tax Collector" and was following my tax collector around - how long has this been going on? I thought the royal guards just sparred and rested their broken spines all the time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:05:43 pm by Ryo »

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
Re: Guards actually guarding?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:02:55 am »

Could you have (gasp)... Assigned a non-wounded dwarf to the job!?!
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:46:07 am »

seriously, I never assign wounded dwarves to guard duty and I've never seen this...  I'll be on the watch.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 12:05:24 pm »

Whoopsie, I've just realised a mistake inh my post - I meant royal guards, not fortress guards...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 12:20:46 pm »

i have never seen this (never had a tax collector for enough time) but some time ago i read on the wiki that it would happen

about recruiting guards, my guards are mostly healthy people. i use them to give a work to useless dwarves.
but for injuryes there is still time. since i don't recruit them to fight, they have no weapons, no armor, no shield. only clothes. and they spar with military dwarves wearing iron chain/mail and iron weapons (some of them steel weapons)
really, you don't have to use wounded to make a fortress guard. make a fortress guard, and then wound them. at the end it is just the same thing

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:57:30 pm »

I've seen Royal Guards guarding the Tax Collector as he does his thing, and it's really easy to miss.  It's the Tax Collector wandering around and a couple Royal Guards in roughly the same area, which looks pretty much the same as what they're doing anyways.

I wouldn't think that being wounded would keep Royal Guards from doing their thing.  Yellow and red wounds obviously would, but AFAIK non-crippling nervous system injuries only keep them from sparring without interfering with their other duties.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:56:23 pm »

This is why I don't bother with guards. I put my tax collector in a house out in the middle of the woods for a reason! Besides, the hammerer does a decent job of protecting him anyway (he lives in the basement).
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »

Fortress Guards are supposed to act as police, so I generally recruit useless peasants to go out and do their thing. Unfortunately, Fortress guards are always the first one to die in a siege, because they heroically charge goblins, with nothing on but their clothing.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 05:23:40 pm »

Besides, the hammerer does a decent job of protecting him anyway (he lives in the basement).

That's horribly funny for some reason.  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:44 am »

I usually stick nervous system wounded guys in the Fortress guard and load them up with crossbows. Means they at least shoot people before charging and dying uselessly!
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.