Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making goblins hostile again  (Read 1162 times)

Arbit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Making goblins hostile again
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:33:41 am »

I read somewhere that removing the goblin [BABYSNATCHER] tag in the raw/objects folder would replace ambushes and babysnatching ventures with sieges.  Obviously that didn't work in my case as the civilization page tells me we're at peace and now I'm getting goblin caravans!  Repulsive!  I've entrapped and killed one caravan and seized the goods of two others but they are awfully tolerant of this.  Is there some way to mod an in-progress game to make them hostile again?  I meant for this fortress to be under constant assault (it's evil terrain as well) and instead the biggest scare I got was a werewolf wandering past to mangle a kitten's kidneys.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Making goblins hostile again
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:30:22 am »

Add the [SIEGER] tag to the goblin entity. That should make them able to be at war with your civ if you keep seizing their goods.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 10:11:06 am »

Also, replacing [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN] takes away the goblins ability to speak, meaning they will be always hostile to all other races- This will, after a year or two, get you goblin attacks (sieges if you've given them the [SEIGER] tag, ambushes otherwise) even if you were not at war with them on the embark screen.

This works on any entity - remove their ability to speak, and they become hostile to everyone regardless of ethical framework.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:56:54 am »

Actually, i didn't add the sieger tag, but still got sieges.I modded adamantine into the sedimentary layer, so the goblins attacked as soon as i had a high total worth,before I had any weapons set up. Result; seven wrestlers versus goblin pikemen. We won! And they came back next season with ten archers and two weaponmasters. Epic fail on that fortress.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:07:05 am »

[SIEGER] makes them wait around a camp fire a while before attacking during a siege. It has nothing to do with causing them to siege, they do that anyway.

To make them hostile, you need: War (occurs randomly during worldgen based on ethics), [BABYSNATCHER] tag, or to remove their ability to speak (no speak = no treaties = inability to make peace, so it shows a red -------- and they fight without ever declaring war).

To make them actually come, you need at least one of the PROGRESS_TRIGGER_ tags to go off. Production is probably the easiest one to trigger, since you can just make some things and cause it. This is also required for the peaceful civs to send caravans, and is the reason that humans never come on the first season. Trade triggers them, so until you trade with the dwarves or elves the humans won't come. Elves cannot come since they are set to Spring and you start in spring, but if you set them to summer and produce enough goods to trigger them they will come in the first year.

The seasons that they come are controlled by ACTIVE_SEASON tags. If you set them only active in winter, they'll only siege in winter. If it's year round, they will likely come every single season - sometimes stopping the caravans from coming due to the siege.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Arbit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 11:11:13 pm »

To make them hostile, you need: War (occurs randomly during worldgen based on ethics), [BABYSNATCHER] tag, or to remove their ability to speak (no speak = no treaties = inability to make peace, so it shows a red -------- and they fight without ever declaring war).
Can I do this to a game in progress, or will I have to run world generation again?  I added the babysnatcher tag back in and I still ended up with a caravan and we still have peaceful relations.  I really don't want to start another game because I restarted THIS game because of the human campfire siege bug.
To make them actually come, you need at least one of the PROGRESS_TRIGGER_ tags to go off. Production is probably the easiest one to trigger, since you can just make some things and cause it.
How much stuff do I have to produce before they start attacking?  Will goblins still send sieges even if the civ screen tells me we have peaceful relations?

Arbit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

Also, I don't see the [INTELLIGENT] tag anywhere in the entity_default.txt file.  Am I modifying the right file? (raw/objects/entity_default.txt)

EDIT okay found this in creature_standard.txt
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:12:29 am by Arbit »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:20:39 pm »

I'm not sure if it will work after generation or not... I've never tried it.

It MIGHT, so just try and see. I kind of doubt it will, because I think the civ being hostile or not is determined during world gen, but you never know.

As for when they'll come, it depends what you set the PROGRESS_TRIGGER_ things to. I believe its 1-5 relating to the different stages of fortress growth, so for population it would relate to the sizes needed for the different fort distinctions, but I have no idea what the exact numbers for trade and production are.

The default 2 is quite low, as you can easily trigger the goblins in the first year if you set up production facilities early. I actually had them come in the first summer one time when I had embarked with magnetite/coal and set up a metalsmithing area right off the wagon to build my starting tools and some armor/weapons for my military while my miner worked. If you upped it to 5 it would probably require more production. You could even remove the production trigger entirely so that only trade or population causes it. As long as you leave one of the triggers they'll come once that one is triggered - if you remove all 3 they will never show up.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:48:31 pm »

INTELLIGENT is in creature_standard, not entity_default
INTELLIGENT is required to have an entity_default entry AFAIK.
Or maybe that's just CAN_CIV, which is implied by INTELLIGENT anyway.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:47:20 pm »

CAN_CIV is what you need for them to form a civ. I believe CAN_LEARN allows them to gain and use skills (like wrestling and such), while CAN_SPEAK allows them to behave diplomatically toward other species. INTELLIGENT combines all 3 into one flag. So if you put in CAN_LEARN and CAN_CIV, they do everything the INTELLIGENT creatures do except talk - which makes them permanently aggressive toward every other race, but still just as capable a fighter and builder.

CAN_SPEAK may cause things in fortress mode too - I haven't tested it. I wonder if dwarves could still talk and make friends in fortress mode if you removed their ability to speak...

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 08:46:16 am »

It's worth noting that using the Mute Goblins workaround makes them hostile to EVERYONE - even any other evil races you might have modded in. I've had to increase the population numbers quite a bit to make them survive world gen in acceptable numbers.