Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d Released  (Read 114586 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d Released
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2009, 03:05:40 pm »

I really would love to see what would happen if 7 stout bearded men with picks and steel battleaxes and tons of booze showed up at Toady's door. O.o
Well, first Toady would pull the lever next to his door, then the drawbridge would lower onto you and squish you...  or the floor would open up and you'd fall into the pit with the chained-up bears, so Toady can pull another lever to full it with magma...

Unless they immediately began singing about the glories of adamantite.  Or, maybe just gold would do.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2009, 06:42:17 pm »

I love this game!  :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2009, 07:59:09 pm »

Personally I wouldn't be very encouraged to pour my heart and soul into a game just to get visited by seven guys with beards and pick axes.

Seven women with beards and pick axes, NOW we're talking. All named Urist.

Also this is terribly off-topic, and yes, I'm part of the problem now. ;)

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2009, 03:48:19 am »

im not saying he isnt, but isnt it much to assume automatically that toady is into chicks? and isnt it quite pretentious of you to assume that he would be into dwarfish women with beards? meybe he is into the tall-skinny-beardless types....

so i guess what i am saying is that if we show up what we need to bring is a good variety of women, plus the dwarf women, and show up as seven bearded guys with axes, shovels and pick, as well as all the f-ing booze we can carry.... and meybe some plump helmets.... for good measure?
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2009, 10:19:24 pm »

(*) stopped dwarves from choosing to sleep on top of traps

Just when you thought Dwarves couldn't get any cooler, you read stuff like this.

ballisticginger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2009, 06:03:07 pm »

you dind out how bad trap sleeping is when you set up a hall of traps when you have no beds.

poor Urist Mctrapper.

but yeah, toady, have all the save brakes you need. if people are making mega constructions that take them several weeks real-time then can't they simply finish the project and then start afresh, this of course doesn't apply to those who've built a pressure plate activated, automated magma-cannon defense system.

Im assuming that the army arc contains so much new data/ subsections/ a whole new game engine for offscreen battles.

keep up the good work oh great toady one.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2009, 08:54:26 pm »

Ballisticginger, you like so got my hopes up seeing a new post in the announcements section! evil evil person you! =-P

Poor Urist McTrapper, may your bottomless pit grave serve you well.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2010, 01:56:12 am »

Throwing an idea out here.... What if Toady outsourced some parts of the programming to the community, specifically those who are skilled in programming? It would allow faster completion of the game, allowing for possible eventual retail sale and development, plus it would allow for some additional variation, seeing as a number of people will undoubtedly add their own quirks.

I would not be able to help much with this, as I am not a great programmer at this point.

Downsides: Donations would no longer be able to fairly go solely to Toady, some of the "helpers" would undoubtedly fall behind and otherwise abandon the project, also could cause some problems with the balance of the game.

Also, perhaps this is not the best place for this. Feel free to alert me if this should be repositioned.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2010, 05:13:14 am »

Throwing an idea out here.... What if Toady outsourced some parts of the programming to the community, specifically those who are skilled in programming? It would allow faster completion of the game, allowing for possible eventual retail sale and development, plus it would allow for some additional variation, seeing as a number of people will undoubtedly add their own quirks.

I would not be able to help much with this, as I am not a great programmer at this point.

Downsides: Donations would no longer be able to fairly go solely to Toady, some of the "helpers" would undoubtedly fall behind and otherwise abandon the project, also could cause some problems with the balance of the game.

Also, perhaps this is not the best place for this. Feel free to alert me if this should be repositioned.

It's not that it should be repositioned, it's that this has been suggested many, many times before, and will not happen, pretty much for the downsides you described.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2010, 12:23:17 pm »

(Stuff)

To quote Frederick P. Brooks, "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later."

i.e. doing that would be a bad thing.

I really don't understand why everyone's so antsy. Just keep playing and the new version will be released when it's done. Don't let the idea of something you dont' have ruin having fun with what you do have.

st0rmforce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2010, 05:55:19 pm »

I really don't understand why everyone's so antsy. Just keep playing and the new version will be released when it's done. Don't let the idea of something you dont' have ruin having fun with what you do have.
I don't understand this either.
I've seen a few people saying that they don't want to play 40d, because 2010 might be released while they're playing and it would be a waste of time. (or something like that, I really can't understand)

I wonder if anybody could explain this to me?
A worshipper of Tarn, the toad-headed god of software entropy.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »

you horrible people. Why do you go and get my hopes up like this?

People dont want to start over when their in the middle of a game.

It's like:
"Damn my fort is awesome"
(new version comes out)
"Now I have to start over again."

st0rmforce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2010, 02:57:30 am »

you horrible people. Why do you go and get my hopes up like this?

People dont want to start over when their in the middle of a game.

It's like:
"Damn my fort is awesome"
(new version comes out)
"Now I have to start over again."
I suppose. But it's a bit of a strange way of looking at it in my opinion.
Especially one guy on another forum who said
Gah, I really want to play Dwarf Fortress, its hard to stop myself playing before the new version is out

Please hurry up Toady, you're driving people insane.
A worshipper of Tarn, the toad-headed god of software entropy.

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2010, 05:00:58 pm »

I pretty much stopped playing DF for the time being. 2k10 fixes so many of the issues i had with the game, that every time i play, it just reminds me of how much better the next version will be and spoils my fun.

With that in mind, playing the current version is indeed a "waste of time", as when the new version comes out, we will all migrate over to that one anyway, regardless of the games we have in progress. Theres just too many goodies in the new one to pass on it.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2010, 05:02:28 pm »

I've stopped too. Its hard, but LCS has been keeping my attention.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11