Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: {Succession} The Museum remade  (Read 11808 times)

Fox-Of-Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {Succession} The Museum remade
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2008, 04:44:04 pm »

Still need coke for cold hard steel, my good man.

Hmm, on a second thought, how does it look? Never played in a succession game before this.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:49:37 pm by Fox-Of-Doom »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2008, 05:43:54 pm »

Spring

8th Granite, Early Spring

Ah, at long last! I am finally the leader of Goldgifted once again. For two long years I was forced to humble myself and accept the changes the new leaders brought. No more!

First things first... I need a tomb, an office, and a bedroom.

Oh! And we need to start up some major steel production. Can you believe these poor souls don't have full steel armor? A crying shame!

9th Granite, Early Spring

What?! This Captain of the Guard has a royal throne room?! Contemptable! Fit for a king! We can't have that, he'll get too uppity. Gotta replace that artifact weapon rack.

Hey! You! Legendary mason! Get off break! You're important, no one important gets to go on break!

12th Granite, Early Spring

The defense in this place is in sorry shape. We need some traps.

Oh, and we struck Sunstone. Apparently the previous leader had a thing for sunstones, there's cutting orders for them.

17th Granite, Early Spring

Heyyyyy, where's the MECHANIC?

There's no mechanic? What in Armok's name...
Oh, I see. Architecture AND Mechanics. Hey, wait... What's this place?

... What in the... WHY YOU LITTLE--

Argh! I'll deal with you later, 'Foxxy'!

20th Granite, Early Spring

Okay, I managed to kill him by activating the nearby laborers.

What the... this legendary engraver is engraving the tree farm! How do you guys expect us to get trees if you cover up the farmland? And now he's engraving some walls outside! Why was all this pointless stuff designated?!

Ugh, and now I've gotta go deal with the elves. Not a good day.

24th Granite, Early Spring

You little... what's the matter? One bedroom not good enough? Go sleep in your goddamned palace, you stupid elf.

25th Granite, Early Spring

Hmm, apparently you need refined coal to make pig iron. How stupid. Oh well, time to seize wood from the elves.

Bah, stupid things don't even have any wood. Begone!

26th Granite, Early Spring

Oh huzzah, the Dungeon Master. Another noble to make rooms for. Oh, and a wrestler who claims he's a marksdwarf. Maybe this immigration wave will knock us up to 80 pop so the goblins can rush our underdeveloped defenses and kill us.

That goddamned 'Foxxy' is shirking off his work, I swear to Armok. First he sleeps, then he claims he needs a drink, and now he needs something to eat. Grrrrr... I'm really growing to dislike this place.

6th Slate, Mid-Spring

By Armok, this place is confusing. Where the hell is the wood furnace?

Ah, there it is! Why are all these damn tasks suspended?

7th Slate, Mid-Spring

Aaaaaaargh! I had to exclude the legendary mason from each and every block-making workshop just to get him to make some Armok-damned coffers! What is WRONG with this place?!

Also, we're out of magnetite! Why is no one paying any attention at all to the damn defenses in this place?

12th Slate, Mid-Spring

I've placed some doors and trinkets in the rooms. Apparently people are claiming cabinets and carrying them into their homes. Why? I have no fucking idea.

26th Slate, Mid-Spring

In an effort to defend this hopeless fortress, I've decided to enter the army. I've had full steel armor made and I know my way around a pick, so I should be able to tear goblins apart with ease.

27th Slate, Mid-Spring

In an effort to lower the value of my office, I've removed a few masterworks and replaced them with the lowest values I could find. Don't want to get hypocrital, now.

Oh, and we have 84 pop, so the goblins may arrive shortly. I'm busy gearing up the soldiers.

12th Felsite, Late Spring

Set up a millstone.

21st Felsite, Late Spring

Where the hell are the goblins? I'm bored!

Summer

11 Malachite, Mid-Summer

Remembered this log. I've started construction of a wall along the road to protect from gobbos, and I made a bridge where those two doors were, trapping it now.

An ambush was found by the completed bridge, and I had to draft the legendary mason to wrestle a goblin into the moat and kill it. Thank Armok the moat was only waist-high, or he'd have died for sure. I've placed stairs there to prevent any further incidents. Oh, and I'm getting quite good with my pick. Two more ambushes were found and although we lost a marksdwarf we drove them off.

Also, a cave-in badly wounded our other miner and a replacement for me. The replacement is in bed with a mangled arm from the elbow down, but the legendary miner was up and at it within a season, despite his moderately wounded spine.

Autumn

19th Limestone, Early Autumn

Finally, the goblins have gathered the courage to besiege us!

We beat the crap out of them. Constructing a bridge now that will allow us to trap them in with us so none escape.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-919-firstsiege

25th Limestone, Early Autumn

I have bad news. Our meddling has caused the brook to dry up. It is only a matter of time before it is empty.

16th Timber, Late Autumn

Argh! More disaster! The farms will no longer grow quarry bushes and pig tails in autumn. I've switched them over to plump helmets.

Winter

11th Obsidian, Late Winter

My term is almost over. Hopefully the security additions I have made to the fortress will be enough. Also, I've since figured out that it's just the end of the season, but I didn't bother switching back. This fortress needs the plants anyway.

Additionally, apparently rhesus macaques are lurking outside and scaring the workers. I'm seeing a lot of their corpses littering about so I assume the military is doing their job right.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:12:12 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

rucksackjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2008, 06:21:38 pm »

Sign me up, please - PM on my turn.

Fox-Of-Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2008, 06:44:20 pm »

Keke.

Oh, and my bad on the treefarm smoothing. Just wanted to make him busy since people seem to have a fetish with smoothing; rushed, you know. Why'd that mason go insane, though? There was everything he needed... Oh well. Anyways, can you explain further on museum? Is it going to be a building, just not planned out yet? Just setting up now?

On a further note, sign me up again if that's cool.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2008, 07:35:36 pm »

Okay, all added. Uneventful right now, I really want a siege.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 11:58:24 pm »

My year's done! Left some notes about the DM.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=634
Map: Too lazy to upload! Someone do it for me?
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 04:35:30 pm »

I'll get a start on it tonight.

Expect log entries tomorrow, unless I forget or get sidetracked. :D
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 02:15:41 pm »

To Rovod Unaldodok, King of Enornil

My dear lord and close friend, while I would normally applaud your interest in living in the town Limulegen "Goldgifted" noting your commendable patronization of the arts. After arriving to this location and surveying the grounds I must humbly inform you that this fortress is not fit for ANY noble to live in, much less one so esteemed as yourself.

The current curator, 'Squeegy', if you could call him that, has not even seen it fit to give the majority of his workers proper lodgings. Indeed, nearly a year I have been here and not a single room has been assigned to me. I have been forced to sleep in the barracks for months amongst the common laborers rather than in a suite that is fit for my own station. I strongly belive that should you come, or send a baron in your stead, they would be treated similarily.

There is also a severe lack of food here. Many of the populace grow hungry due to the mismanagement of the previous curators, and over half of our population has long grown tired of Helmet Wine. I fear that should this continue, many more laborers would die, delaying your pet project indefinably.

Finally, due to my extensive research into the past, I have determined that the structure and design of the fortress and it's production is highly inefficiant. Leading to numerous delays and mistakes where there should be none. While in a normal outpost of little import, this would not be a concern of yours. But this, this is the grand Museum. We cannot afford delays and setbacks, nor inefficiency. I had come to live here, and help with the grandest project of our time, only to find a squalid mess that leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth once seen and tasted.

It is thus that I humbly request to be placed as the next curator.

Yours truely, Malakai Sarrithar.
Dungeon Master.

To Malakai Sarrithar,

My dear friend. I have read your letter and have received reports from the trade representative that support your claims. Although it is distressing that the museum has fallen so far with the current curators. While I cannot directly order you as permanent ruler, I can put you onto the top of the list of potential curators. You have one year, starting on Granite 1st, in order to whip Limulegen into a fortress worthy of her nobility.

May your Goddess Tithleth light your path in this endever.

Yours truely, Rovod Unaldodok

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 02:34:47 pm »

1st Granite

Today is the first of the new year, and the response from the king had arrived not a day too soon. Squeegy, curse him for his pretentious lodgings, addressed all of the dwarves in our dining hall. He was greeted with halfhearted cheers as he raised the tablet that contained the charter for Limulegen, stating his intention to step down from power for the next year in turn for another dwarf. While I watched, one of the peasants who's name escapes me mentioned that he had given the same speech the last time that he had given up power. I never did catch their name, but at any rate it didn't matter.

He spoke of honor, of glory, of the wondrous defense of our beautiful museum (that could hardly be called such, as it is). He spoke of the past rulers curators, their accomplishments and lack theaof. He spoke of what we could become should we continue on this path. It was all very touching, enough almost to make the crowd forget that most of them went hungry while crops rotted on the vine. Then, finally, he began to lead into the next dwarf who would come up.

The poor fellow looked nervous, standing before the crowd. His face alight with fear and excitement at being chosen for such an illustrious task. He was one of the craftsmen, I could see that clearly from his uniform. His hands uncalloused by the work of true dwarves, and his face alight with the power that he would be receiving. I almost felt sorry interrupting his inauguration, stealing his thunder.

Almost.

There were gasps when I stood and walked to the stage, the flimsy papers that contained both my own letter and that of the king's reply fluttering in the  breeze created by the inhalation of eighty dwarves at once. Squeegy's face went white as he read both letters, his eyes flashing in furty as he scrolled down the words, mouthing them out to himself. Finally he finished and addressed the crowd of dwarves before him.

"It appears, my friends, that the king has appointed Malakai Sarrithar, our dungeon master by his true name, to be curator for this year over Urist Zuntiremen. May his reign be stable and 'efficient'."

Squeegy turned away, his lips tight as he left for his room. I decided to let him go and enjoy his last few hours as curator. He may as well, considering he will not be sleeping there much longer.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 04:17:21 pm »

(As an aside... damn it squeegy! There is virtually no food in the fortress! What were you doing on your turn? Half of the population is hungry or has been hungry in the recent past...)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2008, 01:24:21 pm »

Not my fault, that was all Fox-of-Doom. He decided the only source of food in the entire fortress would be quarry bush leaf biscuits. He also appointed not NEARLY enough people for food production and turned off food gathering for 75% of the fortress. The crops turning red and me switching to plump helmets probably saved us all.

Also if you deseat me from my rooms, bitch, my next reign will NOT be pleasant for you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:27:28 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Fox-Of-Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2008, 04:07:34 pm »

Can we not insult each other with unpleasant names? I mean, it is supposed to be a friendly game D:
Anyways, what you do based on unwanted actions done to you is all fair game. I mean, it is roleplaying.
Here's the map link by the way.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3911
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 04:35:02 pm by Fox-Of-Doom »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 09:05:49 pm »

Also if you deseat me from my rooms, bitch, my next reign will NOT be pleasant for you.

3rd Granite

So much work to do.

1. Fix the housing problem
2. Fix the food problem
3. Fix the workshop/Stockpile problem
4. Fix the labor problem
5. Actually do something about the museum.

This year is going to be a busy one for all of us. I do have a great idea for my own contribution. It has a certain flair that the less naturally-inclined of my kin may misinterpret as masochism, however it is a necessary evil I must endure in order to ensure that our museum contains the best exhibits, and nothing BUT the best.

4th Granite

These first few days have been busy. So much of this place is ill-conceived and poorly designed.

The first order of business (after throwing Squeegy out of his bedroom. Let's see how he likes sleeping on the floor for a change!) was job allocation. Nearly half of our population are masons. (or as the tally put it, "laborers"). This simply will not do. We have no clothiers, nor proper glassmakers, and out only craftsmen are bonecrafters. This is a disgrace! We are dwarves! Stone and Steel are in our blood and craftsmanship is in our very being. Indeed, so much of our time has been spent making blocks that sit uselessly in the workshops while there are hundreds of exhibits that need yet to be made. I've reassigned nearly all of the masons, some of them to simply engraving and smoothing the new quarters that are being carved out as we speak, but far more to other professions entirely.

I've also ordered that the artifacts Todorustuthlanggud, Akithlisat, and Desornokzam be placed within exhibits in the statue room behind windows made of sunstones. This museum will start looking like a proper museum if I need to do it with my own bare hands!

Urist Zuntiremen, the dwarf who's position I have replaced this year, has been acting odd recently. He has locked himself in his bedroom and will see nobody save his pets. It is a disturbing chain of events, but it doesn't concern me overly much. He'll get over it.

5th Granite

Urist has left his room today. His eyes alight with a glow that all witnesses claim was unnatural. He has locked himself in our recently-constructed clothier's workshop and has begun racing around the town to collect various nicknacks.

12th Granite

Outrageous!

Today I discovered the domicile of our Mechanic and previous curator, "Foxxy". His lodgings were fit for a king, filled to the brim with steel furniture. While I and our mayor Shorast are left to sleep with the commonfolk, this slothful fool has a bedroom nearly beyond compare. What hubris!

This is not acceptable! I have evicted him and rationed the room to our Mayor. When the baron comes I will not allow such disgraceful actions to go unpunished! There will be order and rank in my fortress!

13th Granite

The farms are once again running full-tilt, providing food for every citizen. As we have a surplus of seeds, I've told our cooks that they may bake them into meals so that none go hungry. I've also allowed the brewing of pig tails, so that we may have a little variety of alcohol in our diet. Something that is sorely needed.

What the previous curators thought they were doing I am baffled by. Hopefully when my year here is up we will get a sane dwarf to take my place.

15th Granite

I have discovered a large portion of the problem with our food supplies!
It appears that a previous curator had butchered a number of animals and had the fat stored in our unprepared food stockpile, and never had it rendered so it could be made into meals!
I will have this remedied quickly!

17th Granite

An ambush, curse them!
The mason Olon Mengag was caught outside when the goblins sprung from their hiding place. She attempted to run, but the lead goblin caught her and brought her down, shattering her left leg.
The goblins continued on toward the fortress, met swiftly by the crossbow bolts of Tekkud Lededdud, who was stationed on the fortifications at the time. He managed to fell one of the goblins and severely injure another before running out of bolts and being forced to retreat downstairs for more.

During the fighting, Urist finished his work. A pair of pig tail trousers that he calls Orhorigath, The Erased Scrape.  I've ordered it put into an exhibit in the statue room, along with our other craft artifacts.

23rd Granite

Shorast has forbidden the export of harps today, indicting that any harps of exceptinal qualtity be brought to his quarters for further inspection.

Nutter.

7th Slate

The first of the plump helmets I ordered planted last month have fully grown in. While I don't like  am not fond of them, it's clear that we need as much food as we can make in a short time, thus... helmets (yuk!)

The dining hall was something of an impromptu party, dwarves were everywhere eating, singing, and cheering as plates and plates of the purple mushroom were brought in. While I'm certain that the revelry will not last if we don't get some proper food made soon, this will last us for a little while at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 09:07:05 pm »

You brought it on yourself by not giving your most useful noble proper accommodations in time. (and really, the DM doesn't ask for much. Especially when compared to the Baron, Consort, and King)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:20 pm »

He's not my most useful noble. Hell, I have barely any uses for him. ALL of my metalworkers are more skilled, there's no exotic animals to tame. What else use does he have?

Also implying that nobles are useful is worthy of a death sentence.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9