Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: {Succession} The Museum remade  (Read 11800 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
{Succession} The Museum remade
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:15:41 pm »

We're starting from scratch!

Well, this has to be the weirdest fortress ever. It's crashed about 4 times now. But this time I aim to make it last, because I'm not likely at all to quit.
I am, for all intents and purposes, addicted to DF. And I have proper savefiles.

The premise of the Museum: a building containing a collection of masterpiece things, from items to the rooms themselves. Not much else to it.

Any curators want to reserve a spot?

Rules:
1. Only exceptional, masterpiece, or artifact works of art.
2. Exhibits can include socks, bolts, engravings, bridges, etc. I'm not picky, as long as it's good quality.
3. The Museum cannot be used for anything other than storage. This means no eating in the Museum. No sleeping in The Museum. No sparring in The Museum. No workshops in the Museum. Got it?
4. The Museum must not have blood, vomit, or anything on any part of it. It gets on a wall, you replace the wall. It gets on an exhibit, you replace the exhibit. Okay?
5. Arenas can be placed in the Museum.
6. Curators get a year to play, but can request an extra month to finish things up. If a curator is inactive and does not post in the topic for 48 hours he or she is removed from the turn list and the most recent save is passed on to the next one.
7. The museum can be anywhere in the form of anything. It can be a hole in the ground or an impossibly high tower with an impossibly large room at the top. Up to you.
More may be added.

Curators
1. Squeegy Map Save
2. dresdor Save
3. Fox-of-Doom Map Save
4. Squeegy Map Save
5. Jamini Map Save
6. Maggarg - Eater of chicke Save
7. Jamini

Old Museum Topic
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:41:24 am by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {Succession} The Museum remade
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:33:08 pm »

Not. A. Single. Post.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:10 pm »

This... Will... Be... Absolutely insane dwarven!!

A few suggestions...

1. A zoo should be built into it, containing the most exotic creatures obtainable.
2. There SHOULD be a cafeteria for the dwarfs somewhere in the museum.
3. Each curator should get his own exhibit hall, to show what they accomplished in there turn.
4. Socks and bolts shouldn't go in a museum exhibit alone, that ruins the feel. Perhaps they could be incorporated into a clothing display and ammunition display.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:31:20 pm by magikarcher »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:40:07 pm »

Squeegy, goddamnit...   You completely disappear from the forum for months at a time, then you show up again with a fanfare of hellos and nice to see yous, and then you start up a brand new succession game and utterly abandon it a few turns later.

We learned our lesson after the first five times.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:49:18 pm »

Tenth time's the charm?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 06:56:24 pm »

It's the third or fourth, actually. And I'm actually back into DF this time! The last few times I popped up and checked on it, posted a bit, but never got back into DF so I just left.

By the way, magikarcher, are you joining?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:19:12 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:38:14 pm »

C'mon guys, I'll really follow this through this time! I mean it. =(
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 08:42:35 pm »

I will take a turn as a curator, but I can't promise I won't screw things up or make things weird.

I should warn you, I'm a statue-eer...I like statues and statue gardens so my exhibits might be more architectural and incorporate said statues...

(and I mean 10 legendary masons in a year kind of massed statues)

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 07:29:20 am »

I have use for 10 Legendary Masons....

Hehehehehe....

I'll take a turn, but depending on the status of the fortress our budget when we get it, I probably won't be able to add anything to the meuseam.  I probably will be able to get our dwarves up and running well hold some fund raisers though.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »

Added to the list! I'll download vanilla 40d and pick out the location.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »

5th Granite

We, a party of 7 dwarves, have set out to create: the first dwarven museum in history! We have chosen this mountain, as it has a river and the foreman said it had what we needed.

I immediately set the miners out to dig out our fir-- what?! What the hell? This isn't a river! It's a damn brook! Arrgh...!

Oh well, I'll fix that soon enough. I put a twist of spirals in the entryway to allow for later fortifications. The miners are digging out the stockpiles. We seem to have found hematite.

17th Slate

Everything's underway! The farms (which are rather large) have been dug out and are being made, and all the stockpiles are in order. I've ordered the walls to plug them up to be built.

It's rather unnerving to tell the dwarves to dump some rock and watch them shove each other aside to scurry in like eager little mice and snatch it away.

Regardless, I'd best get on the dining room and bedrooms, and order the shops to be built.

5th Felsite

I just realized I opted for an anvil instead of an axe and had no points for fuel. Damnit, now I'll have to have one imported!

Wait! We can use the wood from the caravan! Phew, had me scared carpless for a moment there. I'll set up the wood furnace and metalsmith's forge right away, and we'll make an axe o-- out of what? We need to smelt the hematite. Damnit.

Besides these troubles, been rather uneventful.

6th Malachite

Started digging out the dining room and bedrooms.

I've ordered everyone to smooth the walls in their spare time. That'll keep them busy and up the quality of our dining room.

3rd Galena

Our farms are producing plump helmets!

I've ordered some lavish meals to be made to sell for goods. Get us some wood or... something.

10th Limestone

Lavish meals produced. It's autumn now. Eagerly awaiting the caravan. I can only hope it has something useful.

18th Limestone

It's the caravan! And I see wood! Yes!

I've ordered the roasts to be taken over there. I need that wood!

23rd Limestone

Turns out the miner I ordered to search for magma found a bunch of magnetite and a vein of native platinum! With that and the hematite and the native copper above, we're rich in ores!

11th Sandstone

Three blocks of wood! Oh, they have no idea how much I adore them for these three blocks of wood. Three is enough, I think, to make a few bars and a battle axe! We'll finally be ready to settle!

14th Sandstone

We've discovered an underground pool! Thank Armok, we were at its surface, or we would have been lost. As it is I am ordering it to be walled up in fear of the creatures it contains.

Also, the liaison has told us what they want next year.

11th Timber

The axe has been made! The woodcutter is outside, chopping trees, as happy as a clam. Soon we'll have beds and won't have to sleep on the damned floor.

13th Moonstone

The magma forge and smelter are set up. All that's left to do is prepare my office and tomb.

1st Granite

We've held a meeting, and decided that the fortress/museum will be ruled by a series of curators. I was the first curator. Now there will be a new curator.

As I exit from my place of power, I have to admire that in one year I have the beginnings of a fortress set up.

Note to future curators:
I didn't have time to set up any hunting, so we're low on food. You might want to have someone go out and catch some mountain goats and hoary marmots.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:51:44 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 11:57:40 pm »

And with that, on to dresdor! Dresdor, I started making a siege workshop in the workshop area. Construct that and make a ballista in the area by the front door that has the fortifications carved out. You might also want to trap the hallway. Make a row or two of wooden cages and then make some iron serrated blades for weapon traps.

Year 1 Save
Year 1 Map
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:16:08 am by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 09:37:10 pm »

Sign me up. I'm planning on collapsing something on top of something else.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 09:56:40 pm »

If drendor doesn't post by tommorow we'll skip him.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 11:05:04 pm »

Haven't had time to start my turn but I'm looking at the map....it needs more statues :-p

I'm thinking about where to start the museum propper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9