Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: good roguelike  (Read 9808 times)

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: good roguelike
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 09:58:07 am »

Legerdemain is a roguelike with a large overworld, multiple dungeons, and some of the best mapping from characters to objects I've seen.  I think it uses Unicode rather than ASCII, so it has a few more options, and a lot of things actually look like what they're supposed to be.  I haven't played the most recent versions, but I was very addicted to this game at the beginning of the year (until I burned out due to save-compat breaking).

Beware, though, getting out of the starting dungeon takes some doing. Once you get out, you can sleep in an inn to save the game, and if you die after that you get the 'it was all a dream' treatment and restore back at the inn. So no permadeath if you escape the first dungeon, but that just means it can be more brutally hard.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:04:06 am »

Thanks for your help. I found a good one now.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 09:53:23 pm »

Surprised nobody mentioned Iter Vehemens Ad Necem (IVAN, or "Violent road to death"). I know a few IVANers who have admitted to playing DF a lot.

Development is dead, but damn it's fun. You may need to compile it from source to run it on Mac, but apparently it works.

Download link:
http://ivan.sourceforge.net/download.html

Also, the community is here (the old forums succumbed to spambots):
http://www.attnam.com/

Also, the best unofficial fork so far would have to be LIVAN, however unfortunately it still doesn't have magic (a goal of the original developers, but they never got around to it). It's usually up the top of the IVAN Variants forum.

EDIT: Oh, wait... if rickvoid were here he might have mentioned it. Heh.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 10:21:27 pm »

I really like that the guy who made Legerdemain is also selling the memorabilia along with the game.  It would be awesome if Toady did something like this for Dwarf Fortress.  I would pay $100 for something like that - of course it would have to include the story of Boatmurdered;)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 06:27:12 pm »

Legerdemain is a roguelike with a large overworld, multiple dungeons, and some of the best mapping from characters to objects I've seen.  I think it uses Unicode rather than ASCII, so it has a few more options, and a lot of things actually look like what they're supposed to be.  I haven't played the most recent versions, but I was very addicted to this game at the beginning of the year (until I burned out due to save-compat breaking).

Beware, though, getting out of the starting dungeon takes some doing. Once you get out, you can sleep in an inn to save the game, and if you die after that you get the 'it was all a dream' treatment and restore back at the inn. So no permadeath if you escape the first dungeon, but that just means it can be more brutally hard.
Yay a good looking rouge I havent already played!
It sounds intresting, Even if it gets more brutally hard, no permadeath sounds like a VERY good deal...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 08:23:06 pm »

Yay a good looking rouge I havent already played!
It sounds intresting, Even if it gets more brutally hard, no permadeath sounds like a VERY good deal...

The starting dungeon is actually very easy... if you:
1) Don't play a Student of Logos. Students of Logos are the mage-type in Legerdemain, and they can't fight or carry much. My first character generated is a Logos and he did not survive. A Bios (support caster, healer) or a Chaos (warrior with offensive spells) are a lot easier to start with.

2) Focus on getting out of the dungeon. Your food won't last forever, and you can't find much food or equipment in there. You can return to clean the dungeon out later.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:32 pm »

2) Focus on getting out of the dungeon. Your food won't last forever, and you can't find much food or equipment in there. You can return to clean the dungeon out later.

That's the main thing.  My prior roguelike experience was mainly nethack, so I tried to complete each level as I came to it.  It doesn't really work that way in Legerdemain, though.  The other thing is the layout is not procedurally generated, so you can use what you discover on one character to help you find your way out and get to an inn.

Also, you can exploit the slaves in the first dungeon; they won't really follow you very far, so you can lure them away from the pack one at a time and kill them that way.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 12:53:37 am »

That's the main thing.  My prior roguelike experience was mainly nethack, so I tried to complete each level as I came to it.  It doesn't really work that way in Legerdemain, though.  The other thing is the layout is not procedurally generated, so you can use what you discover on one character to help you find your way out and get to an inn.

Also, you can exploit the slaves in the first dungeon; they won't really follow you very far, so you can lure them away from the pack one at a time and kill them that way.

I just started a new Bios during lunch... and now I know luck can play a very big part too.

The first monster I saw is a light-grey "i". I didn't care to find out its name, because it was hitting me very hard! And it won't give up chasing me. My biggest mistake was I didn't immediately memorize my healing spells.

It was right outside my prison cell, and I had to run in circles. Its speed matched mine - despite my full speed fleeing (I vaguely remember the correct way), it still bit me plenty of times, enough to bring me down to 3 hp. It chase me all the way to the "less civilized" junction, and then a bit more. I got rid of it by bumping into a bunch of r's (rats), q's and u's. It probably couldn't path to me.

When I made it outside, I was chased by another mob - 2 b's, 1 S, 1 u, and on my way running to the village, 4 more b's. And all I've got is a piece of wood to smack them with, no armor.

I made it inside with 2 hp left.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 01:43:43 pm »

I was about to suggest ADOM, that has a Mac version too, but someone already did. So I will not mention it.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 05:18:57 pm »

ADOM has a great overworld but I hate the controls so much that I can't play it.

PS. You did mention it

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 10:59:35 pm »

Surprised nobody mentioned Iter Vehemens Ad Necem (IVAN, or "Violent road to death"). I know a few IVANers who have admitted to playing DF a lot.

Development is dead, but damn it's fun. You may need to compile it from source to run it on Mac, but apparently it works.

Download link:
http://ivan.sourceforge.net/download.html

Also, the community is here (the old forums succumbed to spambots):
http://www.attnam.com/

Also, the best unofficial fork so far would have to be LIVAN, however unfortunately it still doesn't have magic (a goal of the original developers, but they never got around to it). It's usually up the top of the IVAN Variants forum.

EDIT: Oh, wait... if rickvoid were here he might have mentioned it. Heh.

I really have to second IVAN.  It's a great roguelike that has some really neat features.  And if ASCII isn't your thing, the graphics are fairly good for a roguelike (lighting effects and such).   Worth a try, that's for sure.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 07:38:34 am »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 11:03:29 am »

I can't believe nobody has suggested Incursion yet.
http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

It's very fun very well made roguelike where you can do all kinds of fun stuff. There are a few bugs around still that can be irritating but it's still very fun.

I should point out that right now it only has one very large very fun dungeon, but that probably won't really matter to you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 11:14:44 am »

Someone here needs to collect these and make a list with links.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 11:19:02 am »

I can't believe nobody has suggested Incursion yet.
http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

It's very fun very well made roguelike where you can do all kinds of fun stuff. There are a few bugs around still that can be irritating but it's still very fun.

I should point out that right now it only has one very large very fun dungeon, but that probably won't really matter to you.

Eh..
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=2668.0
 ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3