Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: good roguelike  (Read 9805 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
good roguelike
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:48:37 pm »

every rougelike i've tried i just couldn't get into mostly because of their suckish overworlds. anyone know any reeeealy good roguelikes?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: good roguelike
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:58:24 pm »

If you're after more freeform adventuring and less dungeoncrawl you could try 3059. Expect to die alot to angry aliens though.

EDIT: You might want to check out this thread about Elona as well
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:01:34 pm by olemars »

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 07:02:04 pm »

I've looked at that one and I have a mac while that game is PC only. any others?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:30:36 pm »

For a dungeon crawler you might want to try POWDER http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about

I don't know that many Roguelikes for the mac that are freeform...

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 08:05:15 pm »

are there any games like elona? because that looks amazing

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 09:51:09 pm »

aww I've played a ton of rougelikes.
I guess I could show you a few if you told me what you think is a good overworld.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 07:50:07 am »

I always thought Zangband had a good overworld but I guess you'd have to tell us your definition of 'good overworld' like cowofdoom said.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 09:39:03 am »

If you want a roguelike that isn't awfully complex to get into, but is great in every way that other roguelikes are, try Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup! It's completely free and available for download at all times! The only thing you have to do is to unpack it in your computer and hand over all your spare time!
(Might cause horrible fits of rage if used excessively)

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is now also available in the sparkling new perplexing technology called telnet! Just log on to crawl.akrasiac.org and get ready get killed innumerably many times and let everyone see you screw up! And you'll have amazingly fun while doing it!
(Overworld and story lines never included.)

P.S. More seriously speaking, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is very good (although quite straightforward), everyone should give it a try.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:50:22 am by LASD »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 12:54:49 pm »

Have you tried Dwarf Fortress?  It's completely open-ended, so it's quite possible to lose direction when you're playing it.  But it does feature a rather thorough wrestling system and some of the most interesting overworld terrain I've ever seen in a Roguelike.

However, it doesn't have much in the way of dungeons.  Bit of a trade-off there.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:04:40 pm »

are there any games like elona? because that looks amazing

Yes (sort of). For the mac? I am not sure. Your best bet is to 's'earch through the Rogue Temple for scrolls or news posts of Find New Roguelike: http://www.roguetemple.com/

In any case that is where I heard of Elona, so it's worth a shot. Watch out, it's dark in there. You're likely to be eaten by a G.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 02:25:13 pm »

Actually, wouldn't that be better represented by a ¨ ?

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

When it usually comes to Roguelikes, I stick with the big three.

ADOM
Dwarf Fortress
Nethack

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 05:31:11 pm »

TOME is really good, and has a very large overworld which is teeming with neat monsters.  It's basically Angband but with an overworld and more dungeons.  The goal is the same, but you can't go straight to Angband, you have to progress through a series of dungeons to get better loot.  It has lots of special quests in the dungeons to break up the monotony and give good items, like princesses in need of rescuing and assorted mini-bosses.  Supposedly there are real bosses at the bottom of the dungeons, but my playing style doesn't let me see them(I go into the swamps south of Bree(I think it's Bree, can't remember) and train as a mage, killing weak naga to level up until I can go after hydra.  I get like three or four levels for each kill till like level 20, when I go straight to the orc cave and die being stupid)

Seriously though, it's cool.  And if you get bored on the main quest, you can do the super-epic-awesome mode.  You make your character like usual, but when it asks for your variation, pick Lost Soul.  You end up at the bottom of a 100-floor, very high level dungeon, and have to work your way up.  It can actually be a lot of fun, you start with like 50 identify scrolls, so you can very quickly get good gear, and if you find a Quylthyulg(Sp?), it's like 20 free levels, assuming it doesn't own you with summons.  Even if you get those twenty-levels, Balrogs and packs of elemental hounds will still smack you down, so you should try to find a digging item fast and head for easier areas.  Talking about it has made me want to play it, I think I'll do just that.
Shoes...

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 08:45:25 pm »

Im with LASD for Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. It is actively maintained and it has a structure that reward trial and error play rather than spoiler based gameplay like many other roguelike. Meaning apart from a few quirks, the game can be played easily without resorting to a guide(you will die often at first of course).

Best xp system ever too...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 10:56:50 pm »

I've played original Dungeon Crawl, still do.

I have to play the modern version though...
Pages: [1] 2 3