Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (40c) Seed Problems  (Read 1416 times)

Nakomys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
(40c) Seed Problems
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:18:13 pm »

I've noticed a couple of problems with seeds and planting in the new version. First, my dwarves have filled a barrel with 100 plump helmet spawn (in a bag) and about 20 or so wild strawberry seeds (also in a bag), but refuse to store any other seeds in barrels in my custom seed stockpile.
 Second, It seems that I cant plant the wild strawberry seeds in my plot. They don't show up in the list of seeds. I bought them off of some elven traders, along with some fisher berry seeds, which I can plant. I can post my save along with my modified raws if needed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:55:03 am by Nakomys »

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (40c) Seed Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:22:59 pm »

Do you have above ground farms for the straw/fisherberry seeds?  Also, sometimes biomes don't support certain plants at all, even when the farm is above ground as needed for most non-dwarven plants.

As for the barrels, do you have barrels reserved in the stock(p)iles screen?  If so, dwarves won't use those extra reserved barrels for putting items into.  They'll only use them for brewing and other workshop jobs needing barrels.  Alternatively, did you happen to set the number of barrels usable by the seed stockpile to 1?  (Use (q) to check the stockpile to find out.)

Nakomys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:42:19 pm »

I'd say that the biome explains the strawberries, as I have yet to find them with plant gathering, and my farm is above-ground.
 As for the barrels, I have no reserved bins or barrels in the (p) screen, and the max barrel is set to 49 (The maximum for the stockpile). In case it matters, I have set the [STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:] init option to 2.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:39:01 pm »

If you have above-ground soil you should be able to plant wild strawberries.  Underground soil works after you channel out the ceiling to make it above ground (you can then roof it over if you like - I prefer to glass in my greenhouse).  I've always been able to plant strawberries in any plot that supported fisher berries. 

However, I ran into a bug in 39d that caused sun berry and whip vine seeds to be unplantable.  If you've never gathered/bought a cluster of strawberries, this might be why you can't plant the strawberry seeds. 

edit: added a link to the bug report
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:41:16 pm by Troas »
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!