Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants arriving from random tile in map.  (Read 1042 times)

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants arriving from random tile in map.
« on: September 06, 2008, 10:22:52 am »

This is a small problem I've noticed: very occasionally, migrants will spawn on a tile somewhere in the map rather than on the edge. I don't know if this is affecting anyone else or if anyone has spotted it yet, but I've made a save during migration just in case.

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants arriving from random tile in map.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:14:17 am »

I'm bumping this cause I just had migrants spawn inside of my fort and right next to my front door. It also seems to be ignoring population_cap. I have it set to 30, but still receive migrants. I also have a save.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:12:13 pm »

This happened to me once, but it only occured for one wave. They usually came from the southeast or southwest corners, but one time they simply jumped out of a cliff face with no slope (at ground level, thankfully).
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:15:32 am »

I just saw this... migrants appearing well away from the edge of the map.  It was also the wave when the baron, etc. first showed up.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:56:49 am »

This has been reported in previous versions, here for example. I think there were other threads on it as well, but I'm too lazy to do more searching. I think the consensus in one of those other threads was that the dwarves were doing that when the edge that they wanted to arrive on wasn't connected to the fortress/embark z level/ meeting zones/etc. (though I may be remembering incorrectly and am unintentionally making making stuff up), though I don't see how that could happen in the current versions with the ramps on every level that aren't removable.

Edit:

Okay, I decided to be unlazy and search some more, here's where I got my "consensus" from, though it was refuted in the same thread... and here's Toady saying (as of 38c, anyway) that he doesn't know the cause yet.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:01:47 am by Nesoo »
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 04:44:46 am »

Speaking of which, I liked back when there were mountains with sheer unclimbable cliffs. Gave the map a sense of disconnectedness that was very interesting and enjoyable.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 06:11:56 am »

Speaking of which, I liked back when there were mountains with sheer unclimbable cliffs. Gave the map a sense of disconnectedness that was very interesting and enjoyable.

You can still have that by disabling periodic erosions.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 11:59:48 am »

I particularly like my island volcano fortress with a sheer 20-z-level drop to the shoreline.
If it wasn't for the fact that I never get any invasions, merchants, or immigrants, the place would rule. =P

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:30:31 pm »

No, I tried that. Still smoothed the cliffs.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 10:10:17 pm »

Have you removed erosion altogether?
No, I tried that. Still smoothed the cliffs.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:21 am »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but this applies to sieges as well.
I've had a wave of migrants and the first squad of a goblin siege show up near the center of the map.
The second squad of goblins appeared at the edge like they normally do.