Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Creeping Death  (Read 3949 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creeping Death
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 05:26:31 pm »

I'm a fan of a society that politely reinforces spelling and grammar...

It's better than ignoring it and letting the language devolve into illegibility.

Especially for non-native speakers who may try to transfer their forum English into the real world (AKA jobs and whatnot)

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 06:44:39 pm »

Miner addition...

minor addition.

A miner is someone who mines.  A minor is something of small stature.

Edit: no one noticed the missing r. ;)
And yes, I am a spelling nazi (one z), though I do let up on people who I am aware do not have English as their first language (and feel free to correct me, my spelling and typing ARE terrible).

I noticed the missing R. I just didn't feel compelled to correct you while laughing my ass off at the irony.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 06:50:12 pm »

Don't got Spell check then you don't get spelling :D

That is my view when someone corrects my spelling on this site.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 12:47:36 pm »

It's better than ignoring it and letting the language devolve into illegibility.

Especially for non-native speakers who may try to transfer their forum English into the real world (AKA jobs and whatnot)
Ironically, the non-native speakers that excuse themselves for their bad English on forums often write almost flawlessly.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 01:58:26 am »

I noticed the missing R. I just didn't feel compelled to correct you while laughing my ass off at the irony.

Figures. :P

Because I had to add the bold formatting it wasn't caught by FF's spellchecker.

Ironically, the non-native speakers that excuse themselves for their bad English on forums often write almost flawlessly.

Quite.  There are a few who have poor English, but I've meet fewer of them than I've meet native English speakers who write well (I even had one guy, after I beat him over the head with reasons why he should use punctuation, REFUSE to use it on grounds that "it took too long to type."  Even after having already misread a post due to the lack of punctuation and the "punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off a horse'" speech).

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 03:13:28 am »

Quite.  There are a few who have poor English, but I've meet fewer of them than I've meet native English speakers who write well (I even had one guy, after I beat him over the head with reasons why he should use punctuation, REFUSE to use it on grounds that "it took too long to type." 
If you're going to use an actual quotation, you might want to reconsider your period usage.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 02:16:39 pm »

I like the grammer system in place on the Facepunch Studios forums. Wach post gives you one "smartness point", but when you have a major spelling or grammer error, you lost points. At the end of each week 10 users with the lowest negative smartness would receive a one week ban.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 03:34:21 pm »

I like the grammer system in place on the Facepunch Studios forums. Wach post gives you one "smartness point", but when you have a major spelling or grammer error, you lost points. At the end of each week 10 users with the lowest negative smartness would receive a one week ban.
yaaaay, facepunch elitism!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 03:38:45 pm »

Quite.  There are a few who have poor English, but I've meet fewer of them than I've meet native English speakers who write well (I even had one guy, after I beat him over the head with reasons why he should use punctuation, REFUSE to use it on grounds that "it took too long to type." 
If you're going to use an actual quotation, you might want to reconsider your period usage.
I've seen so many conflicting views from otherwise English-edumicated people on whether or not periods go inside or outside a quotation when it's at the end of a sentence that I've realized it's wholly unimportant.
ow did this get here

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 04:31:48 pm »

I concur, which probably makes me a hypocrite...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2008, 04:34:29 pm »

I've seen so many conflicting views from otherwise English-edumicated people on whether or not periods go inside or outside a quotation when it's at the end of a sentence that I've realized it's wholly unimportant.

I try not to put periods inside parens at all, though I do occasionally finish a full sentence and start a new one, so...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2008, 04:36:14 pm »

Whoa...that sounds incredible...I guess that it's pointless to register there, if your english is not perfect in that case...[like my english  ;D]
Not that I care about that forum, it was just a note.  :)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 07:49:54 pm »

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 08:23:24 pm »

So the creeping death is spelling/grammar nazis?
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:11 pm »

Sorry to break this to you, but the debate is settled. Punctuation marks go inside of quotations.

Internets, take note.

P.S: If your English grammar is less than stellar, please correct your problem before correcting others.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4