Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Creeping Death  (Read 3952 times)

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creeping Death
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 12:37:42 am »

This is the game where people build giant systems for raining magma all over the map and yet  they shouldn't have unnatural control over their environment? How much more unnatural can it get?  ???

Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

MercDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • Royal Hammerer, Smasher of Stupid Nobles,
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 08:53:32 am »

having Dungeon masters create pink polka-dotted flying elephants that are constantly on !!!FIRE!!!?

Flaming Dwarf Demons from Boatmurdered?

Invasion of Rat-Flail Equipped Gobbos?

Invasion of Useful Nobles?

lets think up some more Unnatural Stuff

Also Good idea with thinking up ways to prevent the game from becoming mundane now lets find some things that we as players can do to assist the Noble Toad...

ooo magical failure: tranformation of all beer into CATS!...or Kobolds...Dragon..(evil Grin)
The Cake...is...a...LIE!!!
The Worlds Best Trap includes a single left footed -Pig Tail- sock.
Madness? This isn't Madness...This is DWARF FORTRESS.

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 02:09:46 pm »

Magical diseases....if those are introduced, who knows what would happen.

Like your dwarves turning into....CATS.

OH MY.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »

Obok Lorbamusen, Weaver has given birth to kittens.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 07:04:25 pm »

I would love to see plagues as a possible threat; perhaps goblins could bring it.

Natural disasters would be spectacular as well; tornadoes and lightning seem like the most sensible, and earthquakes could shake things up a bit as long as we don't have to deal with massive holes in the earth. Volcanic spurts would also be interesting, especially if bottomless pits had a chance to be dormant volcanoes. Flooding is another great idea; however, due to the lag of massive water movement, it would be best if it was a rare occurrance.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 12:07:13 pm »

ZOMBIES!!!!!

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 10:07:13 pm »

I wouldn't mind this if it was some sort of map feature, and you knew what you were getting into when you settled it. As a random event... well, I'd hope it was pretty rare.

It would be really nice if it came out of the game mechanics directly.  Like the flooding on this map: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25749.0

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 10:33:58 am »

What about a pocket of fungus sealed inside a rock that begins to do stuff once it's exposed to air?

Copypasta from one of my own posts a few months ago on a similar subject:
Mushroom alingment:
-A serene fungal growth could contain nicely lined up patches of tower cap and plump helmet. Guardians would include lonely ents just taking care of their cabbage patch untill your midgets show up and try to take it to brew stuff from.
-A wilderniss fungal growth could contain various disorganized groups of random fungus, some good like tower cap, some bad like miasma emmiting mould. There would be a various mix of savage fungal creatures and a few fungus related hyphen men.
-A terrifying fungal growth would most likely only contain evil fungi that try to kill your dwarves, emit toxic spores, grow all over your fortress and cause all the food they touch to rot and spoil alcohol/water. Walking through them will cause dwarves to get covered in mould, which when not cleaned, causes clothes to wear much faster, and actualy take over your refuse pile once that happens. Also, it greatly increaces the chance for infections and diseases. These are best dealt with by stocking them full of explosive booze and a dragon. Don't forget to quarantine the haulers and give them alot of soap.Good fungi will generaly provide edible items and a small selection of medicinal herbs. When abandoned, they generaly keep to their own.Neutral fungi provide less edible objects but more extracts, most of them good but some of them only useable against goblins and nobles. Without supervision, randomly mutates, shrinks, grows but nothing too harmful to the rest of the fort.Evil fungi rarely yield anything edible(and even rarer to see something non poisonous) but they do enable you to harvest some very powerful extracts, provided you have a way to harvest them safely. When left unchecked, will actively proliferate and attempt to take over your fort.Benign fungi are the most boring variety. They contain a small selection of species and the guardians usualy sit next to them, doing nothing.Predator fungi contain more varied ammounts of extracts but the inhabitants will also attempt to defend themselves.Savage fungi contains the widest variety of species but the creatures surrounding them(or the fungi themselves, in evil areas) will see you as an intruder that needs to be rooted out. This can vary between ambushes by plump helmetmen and a full scale war with the ents.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 11:29:27 am »

I never intended it to be "instant death" Neonivek. Just something that would put some challenge back in. "creeping" death, not "sudden" death. Very slow and methodical, becoming increasingly complex to fight against.

If the game killed me for not having a military, that would just make me angry. I still like the idea of having it kick in when your fort is stable, so that it never gets boring.

Melting of polar caps with slow rising of water? xD
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 01:24:17 pm »

A thick mist rolling forward that death waits in (build an entrance tower higher and higher to escape the mist).

Shadar Logoth (sp?) FTW.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 06:08:30 pm »

Probably not the first incarnation of flesh-eating mist, ED.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 07:52:30 pm »

Probably not the first incarnation of flesh-eating mist, ED.

It's still an awesome one!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 09:30:01 pm »

Flesh eating mist? Sounds like acid mist.
Wow this was an old suggestion. Can't believe it keeps popping up now.

Minor addition since people want more reason behind the trigger: When wizards are implemented, when you anger them enough they may trigger some of the said things in this thread.
What should trigger these? Has to be late game things. Like wealth count or population, but more avoidable.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:53:34 pm by Idiom »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 09:34:44 pm »

Miner addition...

minor addition.

A miner is someone who mines.  A minor is something of small stature.

Edit: no one noticed the missing r. ;)
And yes, I am a spelling nazi (one z), though I do let up on people who I am aware do not have English as their first language (and feel free to correct me, my spelling and typing ARE terrible).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:33:30 pm by Draco18s »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 09:53:24 pm »

Efing sspeeling nazzis. ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4