Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Creeping Death  (Read 3950 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Creeping Death
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:50:30 pm »

Apparently DF isn't macabre enough for me.

I suggest map sites with, and disasters that spawn some sort of inevitable Doom.
Doom with a capital 'D'.
Like a glacier on the edge of the map slowly moving a tile or two a year, crushing all in it's path (constantly carving up the landscape and re-doing the fort entrance through the ice). Or a sink hole sucking in the map to the depths (build a giant city on stilts). Or a slime mold that slowly grows bigger and bigger (wall off this and that and that and...). A thick mist rolling forward that death waits in (build an entrance tower higher and higher to escape the mist).

The color out of space would be fairly awesome too.

When the fortress is in a 'win' condition, IE unbreakable unless on purpose, I think some of these should automatically kick in. Then it's a challenge again, fighting to the very end.

Post some other ideas on possible Dooms.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Creeping Death
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:34:07 pm »

I'd rather have challenges and events come about from semi-realistic cause and effect rather than spontaneously.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 10:39:35 pm »

Oh, no, I'd rather not have doom. It's been done in a lot of good games (like Fall From Heaven 2) and I don't like my cool fort being torn apart just because I was too good at the game. I bet you're the type who builds huge lego structures, just so you could kick them down :P

But I would love to make it possible to create your own doom. Maybe once there's magic, you could try to try to summon some riders of the apocalypse (who'll tear up the rest of the world as well, like in Conquest of Elysium). Or you could make some big dwarven gravity ray gun which needs 2000 power to run. Or summon up the undead, who may turn against you in the future. Or create an artifact that creates a black hole.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:42:31 pm »

How about this one: some impertinent young dwarf sets off with six buddies and a cartload of booze, and it turns out that they actually survived on their attempt! Now all the soapmakers and dyers head out to go to this new fortress to escape the drudgery here, slowly starving you of meatshields for your champions! You aren't totally helpless, though; you can always send them a couple of nobles to help them run the place, like that hammer who loves star ruby mini-forges. That'll teach 'em.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:43 pm »

I bet you're the type who builds huge lego structures, just so you could kick them down :P

www.BrikWars.com?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:43:58 pm »

Some of us do want it. How about the old Sim City disasters list thing that's been suggested before? They'd fit on there nicely.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 01:15:20 am »

Some of us do want it. How about the old Sim City disasters list thing that's been suggested before? They'd fit on there nicely.

Bleh. Sorry, but I think Sim-City style disasters are completely against the spirit of DF. Having some kind of horrible disaster that could happen is one thing. But DF very pointedly does not allow the player control over the world environment itself, and I think changing this would ruin an important aspect of the game.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 08:12:18 am »

While I like the thought of embarking on a map where you know you will lose, I'd be careful that you don't forget that eventually there will be things to do with your fortress after you 'win'.  The army arc will add any number of late game challenges involving diplomacy with the king.  Hopefully we will eventually be allowed to retire a site as an outpost of the kingdom (changing the map, political structure, and possibly what's available to other civs).  Breaching the HFS might have greater effect on the world than merely it's effect on your fort.

Anyway, I think that some of these are great ideas (I may add my own), but care needs to be used not to break the dollhouses or the eventual epic late game stuff that may require a stable fort.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 11:56:01 am »

Why not make it part of the HFS. all we have now is interesting, but a bit monotone. Other types of impending disaster would be interesting, especialy if they're dwarf-trigered.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:12:06 pm »

I remember someone talking about how HFS could be changed to crop failings or plagues. But I think the game shouldn't step towards "this will end the game" disasters (such as the old HFS). It just seems a bit cheap.

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 12:12:46 pm »

I wouldn't mind this if it was some sort of map feature, and you knew what you were getting into when you settled it. As a random event... well, I'd hope it was pretty rare.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 12:23:57 pm »

I remember someone talking about how HFS could be changed to crop failings or plagues. But I think the game shouldn't step towards "this will end the game" disasters (such as the old HFS). It just seems a bit cheap.

Well, I think things like thus should get prcedualy more powerfull as your fortress grows. After all, as it is now, you could take on a fully loaded HFS with a team of legendaries and win, and then you don't have anything left to do. It would be more interesting if your nemmissises kept comming back to take revenge, spawning from a bottomless pit or something.
This could work in a similar way. Unlock a strangling mist, and at first you'll be able to block it off. After time it becomes corosive and you'll have to start finding ways to syphon it away before it consumes parts of your fortress. It would still be managable by expanding the ventilation shafts and moving parts of the fortress, but it would require some managment.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 05:35:33 pm »

I like the idea of repeating disasters or other major crisis, such as the HFS being more than a one time event. Possibly like the rivers and chasms from 2D where it could happen once a year or so.

Another possibility could be undead invasions. Seriously, zombie plagues!  ;D

Zombie hordes make everything better.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 06:10:05 pm »

Dwarf Fortress will have disasters eventually (Yes... it will at least have one natural Disaster and will likely have two... Sorry to rain on your parade players)

However It shouldn't be Random disasters made to hit your fortress. Rather it should be truely random with perhaps the game being hardcoded to never have a disaster hit with starting fortresses. Disasters should appear in Legends!

However it shouldn't be instant death for you and your dwarves UNLESS you created your fortress improperly or had horrific bad luck... For example if you have no military and all your dead come to life... You deserved to have died... Or if you didn't make flood control and a River Overflowed into your fortress.

As for Diseases and Magical Disasters... This is also a yes... though as usually it shouldn't be instant death.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 08:48:33 pm »

I never intended it to be "instant death" Neonivek. Just something that would put some challenge back in. "creeping" death, not "sudden" death. Very slow and methodical, becoming increasingly complex to fight against.

If the game killed me for not having a military, that would just make me angry. I still like the idea of having it kick in when your fort is stable, so that it never gets boring.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4