Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Transcontinental Magma Pipeline  (Read 10627 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Transcontinental Magma Pipeline
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 09:24:18 pm »

Do the Elves have Animalducts?

Treeducts. Or Floraducts.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 10:06:25 pm »

Would it be possible for a water aqueduct to carry water all the way into the center of a desert?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 08:21:34 am »

You might be interested in <a href="http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38627.0>this thread[/url].

A word of caution: Screw pumps deconstruct on abandon.

Who told you that screw pumps deconstruct on abandon? They didn't in my test fort last year. That was in 40a though so maybe something has changed... The problem that I did get was that wooden pipe sections would degrade and if they degraded enough the pump would deconstruct.
Nice thread though. I'm glad to see some one else had the same idea.

Would it be possible for a water aqueduct to carry water all the way into the center of a desert?

Yes... it would probably be easier too as water flows better than magma/lava. my big problem at the moment is that after about 150 tiles the stream is just 1/7 and it just sort of ooozes to a halt.

Pumps every so often would be a good idea :(

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 10:08:38 am »

Screw pumps do not deconstruct on abandon in 40d.  At least, not on abandon->reclaim.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

paulrpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 02:05:45 pm »

Hey, I tried out the aquaduct thing myself using water (to speed it up).

What I found was:

The bridges work to act as walls at the edge however: when raised they do not let you walk on the top of them.

When you have built the pumping station, you then build the next stage of the aqua/magmaduct however: for the second part of the aquaduct the entry point into the map acts as a drain, so i think you would have to do something like
Code: [Select]
XXXXX                    XXXXXXXX
       XXXXXXXXXXX^^

Where X is the water flow and ^^ is a pumping station so you are able to keep it 'level'.

Also you would have to build the entire system before activating it in adventure mode as it will not flow any more.

When it comes to other megaproject ideas like mining all the adamantium in the world, it could prove to be a great idea. My personal favourite idea with all this magma from the magmaduct is to construct a giant island in the middle of a lake / ocean and build a bridge to the mainland.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 05:35:42 pm »

Screw pumps do not deconstruct on abandon in 40d.  At least, not on abandon->reclaim.

Really?  ??? So I was wrong. Maybe it was a previous version...
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 06:21:04 pm »

Ah. when I looked at this I wondered how you would get the magma to flow. The use of an adventurer is purest genius, because you can ensure that the magma flows whereas it wouldn't flow from one to the other in Fortress mode. genius.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 10:23:38 pm »

It appears to me, though that magma will only move from one map to another in adventure mode, yes? If you're playing fortress in one map, the other maps magically disappear off the face of the planet.

I wonder how long it would take to cave in that 200+ z-level map knocking around here and fill it with magma.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 04:39:47 am »

This is relevant to my interests!

I always wondered how DF handles the relation of fortress map <-> world map. At first I always thought, that all that is saved is the local map and the detailed fortress local map is generated on embark... but you can seamlessly wander the entire map in adventure mode. So let me get this straight. In adventure mode magma can flow out of a former fortress map correctly? How close to the edge of the map can constructions be built? oh god... just imagine... building a transcontinental magma pipe and see if it works...
oh wait...
Great, now i want to experiment by myself!

I would love to see the ability to embark on multiple forts and have them interact with each other at some day... Actually, imagine... if you chose your location to embark, but you could build freely... on the whole map...
oh, gods, yes...
that'd be awesome....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:46:55 am by TigerPlushie »
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 05:40:58 am »

It appears to me, though that magma will only move from one map to another in adventure mode, yes? If you're playing fortress in one map, the other maps magically disappear off the face of the planet.

I wonder how long it would take to cave in that 200+ z-level map knocking around here and fill it with magma.

Abandoning on the sites and visiting them in adventure mode should make the game 'cement' those sites and remember what's going on on them. I don't think you'd be able to get magma flow from one site to another, but any magma you pump into that site as an adventurer should stay in place and be there when you reclaim.

There was a test awhile back to bridge between two continents, one continent had Elves, the other didn't, after the bridge was built both continents had Elves, so you can definitely alter the world map somewhat.

I think somone did an obsidian island test awhile back too, or that might have only been suggested, rather than actually completed. Regardless, the theory should be sound, we won't know until it's properly tested.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 02:52:12 pm »

Update:

Blasted Goblins laid siege to the Transcontinental* Magma Pipeline at Paperscalds last night... I'm a little concerned about the project... some goblins got around the defenses through a stupid hole I had overlooked and shot many dwarfs as they went to get their crossbows... I don't think eating in the Legendary Dinning Room is going to cut it this time... I think I have more wounded than beds... TANTRUM SPIRAL!

*the Paperscalds pipeline is a test line for the transcontinental pipeline... actually somewhat more difficult to build as it is stretching out over the ocean... currently the main magma line is almost charged, it's almost full of 7/7 right along it's length... but the main reservoir is incomplete and still empty and I'm waiting for a few additional pumps to come online ... as the magma is not getting from the pipe to the base of the pump spiral fast enough... which is a limiting factor for ideal Obsidian Island manufacture.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 04:45:47 pm »

No project as epic as this was ever going to be completed in a single fortress-run anyways. This is a project for countless generations of dwarves to give their tantrumming lives to.

paulrpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 06:49:59 pm »

I know the trans-map pipeline works, where in adventure mode you pull a lever and it goes vroom. Question is: What do you do with all this magma / water / chimpanzees when you are done?

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 07:23:14 pm »

Flood whatever is at the other end, of course!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 07:35:12 pm »

Flood whatever is at the other end, of course!

Which is really the bigger challenge - how do we get all the world's nobles and elves to the other end?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4