Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Transcontinental Magma Pipeline  (Read 10636 times)

supremeMang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transcontinental Magma Pipeline
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 02:03:46 am »

thats such an insane idea. would it be possible to do something similar with an underground tunnel, that heads out into the ocean, where one then creates a tower rising from the sea. the tunnel would give traders and such access as well. ive never seen any of the big fish types in fortress mode, this could be a good way toget out to them.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 09:14:25 am »

Raised drawbridges can be used as walls all the way to the edge of a map, I just discovered. That could help with the magma loss.

Holy Burning Magma Urist!
That's great news! Thanks, this removes the flood area from the design, I can build the bridges right up to the edge of both maps and then I don't even need a long trench! Just have the bridges bring it straight to a pump and start getting things ready for the next 1x6 map towards the desert!

This, combined with my realisation that I could just put pumps in with one tile gaps between them right across the map to prevent any 1/7 residue, could really make the Transcontinental Magma Pipeline an even more viable dream.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:06 am »

Kogan McCityServices: Sorry Urist, you can't build a fortress here. We got too many utility pipelines under the ground.
 Urist: Curses!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 09:25:14 am »

thats such an insane idea. would it be possible to do something similar with an underground tunnel, that heads out into the ocean, where one then creates a tower rising from the sea. the tunnel would give traders and such access as well. ive never seen any of the big fish types in fortress mode, this could be a good way toget out to them.

I don't know if the traders would find the way to you but I found a great map for trying this on while looking for my lava to pump to the desert... basically all you need to try it is a magma vent by the sea... build a causeway or pier out in to the ocean right to the edge of your map... pump the lava along it till it's near the edge of your map... visit in adventure mode and release the lava in to the sea on the next map. Exact same as before... except maybe you should do it from a few z-levels up so that it's not connected and sinks to the bottom of the sea?

I'm guessing that you would need embark anywhere to actually embark on this new land though... worth a shot though don't you think?

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 06:39:48 pm »

This is an awesome way to transport magma.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 09:00:47 pm »

I've put my major magma pipeline on hold ... the original plan was to move the magma to a nice dessert* and build a glass fortress...
But now I want to wait till after the save breaking changes come out...

In the mean time I'm still working on the same idea but not as ambitiously, instead I'm going to pump magma off the edge of a half land half ocean map, onto a totally ocean map and then see if I can embark there...
If I can't embark I'll use the utility that lets you embark embark anywhere and see how the game handles it...

General progress report:
I've managed to get through/around the aquifer, I've got a 30 or 40 tile pier of constructed rock jutting out over the ocean... I've still got ages to go before the pier reaches the edge of the map and I can start pumping the magma towards the OceanHome...
I think it's a terrifying or haunted ocean ... but I don't see any dangerous fish yet.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 10:21:28 pm »

Best idea ever.

Now I have to learn adventurer mode.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:49 am »

The Embark Anywhere utility may turn out to be useful. Dunno what the side effects would be, though...

Great, now I wanna make the Dwarven Utilities Company. Water, magma, and more, along with Adventurer Courier Services for sand bag transport.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 12:42:38 am »

Don't forget about the possibility of an Adamentine mining outpost (it would literally be a mining outpost, which then ferries adamentine to your new fortresses via adventurers.)

Actually, I think I'm going to take this challenge.  I am going to pump magma over 15 regional map tiles, mine all the adamentine out of at least three sites, and build roads from the mountainhomes and mining outposts all the new dwarven port of Seawall, the Good Black Ship-Castle of Light, complete with harbor, two lighthouses, and a cathedral, all made of obsidian blocks!

On second thought, I might want to wait until the new, non-save-compatible version comes out.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 12:57:58 am »

The new non-save-compatible version will surely take a couple of months at least before release. I think you should try this out in order to detect any bugs that might be related to these kind of projects so that Toady get's a chance to fix them and release the fixes along with the new version.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 05:54:31 am »

Yet another triumph of dwarven engineering. You ROCK, OP!
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 04:17:33 pm »

Thread Necromancy!

It's been nearly a year since the start of my magma pipeline project... I put it on hold as I thought the next version would be out much much sooner... as the list of things to be done gets greener and greener I'm getting more and more excited about the new version...

This little project of mine has lay dormant for month and months now so I've fired it back up, not in the hopes of success but knowing full well that it will go wrong...
BUT from that wrongness will spring forth a greatness! a greatness which will allow the Transcontinental Magma Pipeline to pump more magma further and faster... in the hopes of one day I will take magma from the great volcano near the Mountain Homes, pump it across the land... and show those blasted goblins what dwarven engineering is all about!

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-17705-startofthepipeline

Wurm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 05:43:21 pm »

The Romans had Aquaducts, the dwarves have Magmaducts. Awesome work.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 06:17:24 pm »

Do the Elves have Animalducts?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 09:04:53 pm »

You might be interested in <a href="http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38627.0>this thread[/url].

A word of caution: Screw pumps deconstruct on abandon.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4